Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sn is "4years" because I am trying to start saving for a C6 Z06. Now that I think about it though, I could easily afford the payment on a C5 Z06 (which has 5 more hp, and 63 lbs. lighter than my friend's base C6). It seems to me like this might be a decent route to go for now. I am curious though. I have always been into imports, etc. that require extensive motor work when talk of high boost is present. If I were to supercharge a C5 Z06, how much can I safely see powerwise, before needing to upgrade internals. It won't be a drag car, just a fast/fun DD, but if I spend $6k on a supercharger, will I be spending another $5k in parts (obviously I would at least be upgrading the intake, exhaust, and whatever ecu or fuel management mods), but I am curious what kind of power I could see and can expect long engine life, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
If you seriously believe that you want to step up to the C6Z06 in about four years, then I wouldn't invest an additional $6k into a C5Z06. Just get the best C5 you can, enjoy it, and sell it when you're ready to move up.

I make this recommendation because it is very unlikely that you will recover much of your investment in these kinds of mods. It seems that most folks don't want to buy that level of performance - they want to do it themselves (even if doing it themselves means that they take it to a shop). Typically, the cars that sell the fastest are those that are nearest to stock condition.

Since you have a clear upgrade path, take that $6k, tuck it away where you can earn some return on it, and add to it so that you can get the C6 even sooner.

Steven

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh, definitely not a bad idea. I will probably be hurting the resale value of my C5 Z06 if I supercharge it (so I'd really be out the $6k for the supercharger + supporting mods, then out more because I'd probably be selling it for less). I know I'd be looking for a stock C5 Z06. Thanks for the advice. The stock Z06 should still be the fastest thing I've driven yet anyway.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
They are pretty awesome man. I'm not familiar with the imports(besides a few friends with the old eclipses), but I can tell you these Zs are sick. I wonder how much the basic bolt-ons would hurt the re-sale? Like headers, full exhaust, and intake all with a tune. That would put you around 400RWHP right there.

G/L

Josh

·
Registered
210 Posts
My sn is "4years" because I am trying to start saving for a C6 Z06. Now that I think about it though, I could easily afford the payment on a C5 Z06 (which has 5 more hp, and 63 lbs. lighter than my friend's base C6). It seems to me like this might be a decent route to go for now. I am curious though. I have always been into imports, etc. that require extensive motor work when talk of high boost is present. If I were to supercharge a C5 Z06, how much can I safely see powerwise, before needing to upgrade internals. It won't be a drag car, just a fast/fun DD, but if I spend $6k on a supercharger, will I be spending another $5k in parts (obviously I would at least be upgrading the intake, exhaust, and whatever ecu or fuel management mods), but I am curious what kind of power I could see and can expect long engine life, etc.
I contemplated the same thing. I bought a 04 Z stock all the way for 36000, then I have about 36000 to spend before I get to the C6 price. The C6 has what, 500 FWHP? Hell, for 36000 I can get my Z up to 1000 FWHP + and have a faster car, and to be honest, I kinda like the looks of the C5 as much as the C6 anyway. I can get a new motor just like the C6 Z plus Mod it out and there ya go. I checked in to it before I bought the Z and I can do that for around 20,000. That leaves me 16,000 to do what I want with.
But you may have a passion for the C6, just food for thought.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modding cars has always been an illness for me. My first Integra GSR I bought when I was 16 (6 years ago) I dropped over $25k into over a 3 year period then sold for exactly what I paid for it. I am still paying off some of those damn loans. Never again will borrow that kind of money, young and foolish. Anyway, it would be very difficult for me to have any nice stock car and not add wheels, tires, suspension, tint, interior upholstery accents, aero kits, etc. I just HAVE to stand out from the rest. I bought my Jeep cherokee for $600 2.5 years ago and has since "invested" about $8k between a lift, mud tires, paint, exhaust, and finally a stroker motor. I am making plenty of $$ to afford these mods, but want to get myself into a house before I begin my next endeavor. My biggest fear is finally jumping up to the next class of cars and then getting beaten by a dumb Civic or something (obviously not stock, but I have seen some civics beat vipers, supras beat vettes, etc.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....But you may have a passion for the C6, just food for thought.
I do like the C6 Z06 a lot, but as mentioned a lot can be done to lesser cars for the same price or less. If I really wanted to, I could take my '91 300zx twin turbo and get her up to 800-1000 hp (no joke, check out Z1 motorsports at 300zx.com). I paid $7k for her last year and could spend about $25k and be up to 800+ whp, and be spending less than even a C5 Z06, but the thing is resale value is ass. I don't know what I really want anymore, but ideally I want to sell my 300Zx TT to help me get my house sooner, then just buy something nice later.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't know what I really want anymore, but ideally I want to sell my 300Zx TT to help me get my house sooner, then just buy something nice later.
If you want a house, I would get a house and then worry about cars later.

:cheers:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Me too....but it'd have to be a REALLY fast house....

:thumbsup:

Hoov
A man after my own heart.
I don't know what a 300 zx is but if that's what you want, do it!! HP isn't everything, it's the car. I just happen to love vettes, and I'm not worried about what I get for it when I'm done. I may die before then, I'm doin life.

:cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Me too. When people start talkin "resale value", I just smile and nod :agree: because it's my ride and the rest really doesn't matter.

I like that--I'm doin life--THAT'S what I'm talkin about.... :cheers:

Hoov

·
Registered
2 Posts
My biggest fear is finally jumping up to the next class of cars and then getting beaten by a dumb Civic or something (obviously not stock, but I have seen some civics beat vipers, supras beat vettes, etc.)
I wouldnt base you decision on buying the car strickly on getting beat by a "lower class" car. Sadly there is alot of civics, srt neons, evos and whatever else that would eat vettes, and vipers alive. Just remember, at the end of the day, your still driving the corvette, and they are still in the civic.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
I do like the C6 Z06 a lot, but as mentioned a lot can be done to lesser cars for the same price or less. If I really wanted to, I could take my '91 300zx twin turbo and get her up to 800-1000 hp (no joke, check out Z1 motorsports at 300zx.com).
You hit the nail on the head, you could take a lesser car and make it fast. We all know this.

Gear heads have been doing that for 50 years, it's not a new concept.

But, at the end of the day, if you are happy with a Neon with a 1200 hp motor, have at it. Enjoy your car. I'm sure all your friends will think it's cool.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Simple idea..

Buy a c5 with a supercharger already on it.

We all know mods add very little resale value so just buy one thats already been modded.

Good luck and know the c5 is a hell of a car!

JB

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts