Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am often asked, “if you are going to add Z06 rear fenders, and modify your car for more power, why didn’t you just buy a Z06 in the first place?” I have a 2008 Convertible on order, so my answer is pretty simple; “I would have loved to buy a Z, but since Chevrolet doesn’t offer a Z06 in a convertible, and I wanted a drop top car, I had no other choice.” I’m sure there are numerous other reasons (initial cost, insurance, color options, etc) that others buy a standard C6, and then modify it, instead of getting a Z, so I’m curious what they are.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am often asked, “if you are going to add Z06 rear fenders, and modify your car for more power, why didn’t you just buy a Z06 in the first place?” I have a 2008 Convertible on order, so my answer is pretty simple; “I would have loved to buy a Z, but since Chevrolet doesn’t offer a Z06 in a convertible, and I wanted a drop top car, I had no other choice.” I’m sure there are numerous other reasons (initial cost, insurance, color options, etc) that others buy a standard C6, and then modify it, instead of getting a Z, so I’m curious what they are.
I guess it depends upon one's tastes. In some cases I know it definitely wasn't a cost factor. I know a guy who bought a new C6 coupe and modified it, body, motor, etc where he has more in it than a Z06.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Insurance is the same for the Z as it is for a C6 coupe...:huh:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have a 2008 Convertible on order, so my answer is pretty simple; “I would have loved to buy a Z, but since Chevrolet doesn’t offer a Z06 in a convertible, and I wanted a drop top car, I had no other choice.”
The ONLY reason I chose not to get a Z06 is they don't come with a Targa Top. Convertible Z will never happen, and I don't think it should, but I don't see why they can't make a Targa Z.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
For some, insurance. Some insurance companies wont cover the ZO6.
AAA never met a premium it didn't like, "uuhmm race car huh ....that'll be $$$$$$, no problem, thank-you Mr. Hardcore Vetteman, Oh and by the way if you race it you are SO NOT COVERED! :thud: :devil:

·
Registered
565 Posts
USAA wouldnt cover me an a ZR1 or a ZO6. Maybe they have a reason about me :(
It wouldn't be those 32 tickets in the last year, would it?:thud:

For me, I wasn't going to get ripped off by a dealer for 10-15K over the 25K+ above a base car the Z goes for. $48K for 96% of the performance of a $85K car. Same looks, same interior, same heritage--and same Digital Corvette forum!!!!:thumbsup: or :spanked: depending on the day! Maybe my next one, if the dealer markup goes away.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It wouldn't be those 32 tickets in the last year, would it?:thud:

For me, I wasn't going to get ripped off by a dealer for 10-15K over the 25K+ above a base car the Z goes for. $48K for 96% of the performance of a $85K car. Same looks, same interior, same heritage--and same Digital Corvette forum!!!!:thumbsup: or :spanked: depending on the day! Maybe my next one, if the dealer markup goes away.
Nope, no tickets. they may have just decided they wouldnt insure those vehicles with Non Officer material :) ?
J/K

·
Registered
386 Posts
The ONLY reason I chose not to get a Z06 is they don't come with a Targa Top. Convertible Z will never happen, and I don't think it should, but I don't see why they can't make a Targa Z.

Roger that. No targa top, no title in my name. Half the fun of driving a C6 Corvette is the thrill of open-top motoring.

Take somebody for their first ride in a Corvette and watch them grin from ear to ear as the open-top experience unfolds. It's magic. And I feel like a kid each time I pop the top off. Never gets old. :cheers:

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is a tough choice that I went through two times so far.

In 2001, I had a choice between a 2001 Z06 or a 2001 C5 Vert with a manual tranny.
Back then the MSRPs were similar and the horsepower difference was 385 to 350.
I chose the Vert, I love power, but I figured I would use the Vert more often than the extra power.

Fast forward to 6/07.
I already own a 2005 C6 Vert with the A4/3.15 tranny, I let my 68 year old father use that 99% of the time.
I had a 2006 C6 coupe manual tranny (modded to 375rwhp with headers) that I traded in for a 2007 C6 coupe with the A6 tranny (better for drag racing at the track).

After taking a drive in my 2005 Vert I realized I missed the Vert for daily driving, but I also wanted a manual tranny again.

So, the choice was a LEFTOVER 2006 C6 Vert with a manual tranny MSRP of $58K or a 2007 Z06 MSRP of $78K.
After discounts the Vert was only $48K and the Z06 was still $78K.
Again, which will I use more?
1 - The Convertible top or 105 extra horsepower?
2 - 505hp or $30K still in my pocket:laughing:

Needless to say, I am very happy with my choice of a Vert.

Now the 2008s are out with an extra 30-36hp, but after a cruise in my 2006 Vert with the Borla Stingers singing, I am satisfied.....

Hopefully until the C7 comes out:D

Next year my 2005 is out of warranty in 9/08.....
I can see possibly trying to swing a deal on a leftover 2007 Z06 that has been sitting on a lot somewhere, then I would have the BEST of both worlds.
A manual Vert and a Z06:thumbsup:

Howard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Sure it will! A convertible Z will come out as soon as I've made all the expensive changes to my 08! That's the story of my life!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Roger that. No targa top, no title in my name. Half the fun of driving a C6 Corvette is the thrill of open-top motoring.
Take somebody for their first ride in a Corvette and watch them grin from ear to ear as the open-top experience unfolds. It's magic. And I feel like a kid each time I pop the top off. Never gets old. :cheers:
Me: "Amen, Brother! The ladies love it."

DMV Instructor: "You, out!"

:rolling:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
For me it was looks. I like the smooth look of the C6 vs. the Flares, and scoops of the Z06. I rarely use the targa top but I like it that I have the choice.

And before you ask, I have spent enough on my car to have bough a Z. If I had to do it again I would make the same choice except I would go with the LPE 427 rather than the 403.

:cheers:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Me: "Amen, Brother! The ladies love it."

DMV Instructor: "You, out!"

:rolling:

LOL! But it is indeed true: if you're a guy in a nice Corvette, women do take notice and those close to you enjoy going along for a ride.

Now if I could just get them to pay as much attention to me when I'm not with the car... :laughing:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Upfront money...I'd love to have the blue Z06 that the dealer where I just bought my 07 Coupe M6 has but I'm only 30 and couldn't swing the extra 38K plus I have GMS pricing and GMcard cash so I couldn't use either on the Z and this purchase allowed me to get into a C6. I also have a black 08 M6 coupe with Z51 and NPP ordered (no obligation) but I don't know what I will do, I may trade in the 07 and take the 08, not sure yet, have to see what the numbers work out to be.

A

·
Registered
754 Posts
I pay about $33 more a month for coverage on my Z than the coupe.

·
Registered
729 Posts
...Patience young Skywalker. I too refused to get ripped on the markup. I finally found a dealer who would order the color and package car I wanted with no markup. The Gods were smiling on me that day. As far as 96% of the performance of the Z06...my 02 Z06 doesn't come close, and that I would have never expected. The C6Z she is a monster!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess it depends upon one's tastes. In some cases I know it definitely wasn't a cost factor. I know a guy who bought a new C6 coupe and modified it, body, motor, etc where he has more in it than a Z06.
For 30K(approx cost of Z06 over C6) I could mod a C6 where it wouldn't be driveable on the street. You can send one to Lingenfelter and for about 20k you can mod one that will destroy a Z06 (with a warranty). Be interested in seeing what this guy had done.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts