Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LONDON — WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange surrendered to U.K. police Tuesday as part of a Swedish sex-crimes investigation, the latest blow to an organization that faces legal, financial and technological challenges after releasing hundreds of secret U.S. diplomatic cables.

Swedish prosecutors issued the arrest warrant for the 39-year-old Australian, who is accused of rape and sexual molestation in one case and of sexual molestation and unlawful coercion in another.

Assange surrendered at 9:30 a.m. local time (4:30 a.m. ET) Tuesday. The U.K.'s Guardian newspaper reported that Assange arrived at court later in the day with both of his British lawyers, Mark Stephens and Jennifer Robinson, and was expected to release a video statement later in the day.

If he challenges his extradition to Sweden, he will likely be remanded into custody or released on bail until another judge rules on whether to extradite him, an official told The Associated Press.

Related stories Is WikiLeaks hacker a villain or a hero? NYT: U.S. strains to stop the flow of weapons NBC: Assange arranging to meet with police WikiLeaks reveals U.S. list of 'critical' sites PayPal cuts WikiLeaks from money flow WikiLeaks' 'insurance' file to ensure work goes on Fed workers told: Stay away from leaked cables NYT: Cables discuss vast hacking by China The who, what and why of WikiLeaks More stories, videos about the documents Assange has been hiding out at an undisclosed location in Britain since WikiLeaks began publishing hundreds of U.S. diplomatic cables online last month.

The legal troubles for Assange stem from allegations leveled against him by two women he met while in Sweden over the summer.

Assange denies the allegations, which Stephens says stem from a "dispute over consensual but unprotected sex." Assange and Stephens have suggested that the prosecution is being manipulated for political reasons.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40544697/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/

You knew they would find a way to get this guy. :laughing:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I saw an interview with Rep. Peter King this morning. He's at a loss for words and cannot understand why Holder hasn't moved to indicte this guy under the espionage act in 6 months, when he managed to indicte Arizona in 24 hrs. Also, they'd have to then go after the NY Times for publishing the leaks, something they absolutely won't due because of the NYT's favorable bias towards them.

IMHO, I think WikiLeaks is being selective about what they are leaking and it's mostly to discredit the DOD. If they started leaking stuff that painted the Obama admin in a bad light, they'd be all over him like white on rice.

Soros and WikiLeaks will not let this happen, even though Obama has lost his 'mojo' to Soros as of late...it would go against his agenda.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Wow, didn't know not wearing a condom was illegal.. :laughing:

Gotta love the inept, corrupt, evil world we live in.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I saw an interview with Rep. Peter King this morning. He's at a loss for words and cannot understand why Holder hasn't moved to indicte this guy under the espionage act in 6 months, when he managed to indicte Arizona in 24 hrs. Also, they'd have to then go after the NY Times for publishing the leaks, something they absolutely won't due because of the NYT's favorable bias towards them.

IMHO, I think WikiLeaks is being selective about what they are leaking and it's mostly to discredit the DOD. If they started leaking stuff that painted the Obama admin in a bad light, they'd be all over him like white on rice.

Soros and WikiLeaks will not let this happen, even though Obama has lost his 'mojo' to Soros as of late...it would go against his agenda.
Robert Novak was never prosecuted for his publishing of classified information.

It is also debatable how compromising the cables are. They are all common knowledge tidbits and past information. The military leaks have not put any current soldiers or opperations in danger.

The rape charges are complete BS and are politically motivated. What are the odds that 2 women he meets continue to have contact with him for 6 days after having sex and then suddenly file charges without completing a rape kit? One of the women even left the next morning and brought him breakfast. :crazy:

This is from an artical published 11/18/10

Assange was accused of raping one woman and sexually assaulting another woman in separate encounters in Sweden in August. A warrant for his arrest was first issued in August, but dropped within 24 hours when prosecutors said the accusations against him lacked substance. The case was then reopened.

Though no details of the allegations have been released by prosecutors, police leaks said both women had met him in connection with a seminar he gave in Stockholm on 14 August. The women filed their complaints together six days later.

Describing the case as "not a prosecution, but a persecution", Stephens said the Swedish authorities had a "blatant and deliberate disregard" for Assange's rights, and that the allegations were "false and without basis".

He added: "Both women have declared they had consensual sexual relations with our client and that they continued to instigate friendly contact well after the alleged incidents. Only after the women became aware of each other's relationship with Mr Assange did they make their allegations against him.
Media reports had reported the basis for the rape charge "purely seems to constitute a post-facto dispute over consensual, but unprotected sex days after the event," he said.

"My client is now in the extraordinary position that, despite his innocence, and despite never having been charged and despite never receiving a single piece of paper about the allegations against him, one in 10 internet references to the word 'rape' also include his name."

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BREAKING NEWS: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange denied bail in U.K. court, remanded in custody. Wow, the wheels are turning!!

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Robert Novak was never prosecuted for his publishing of classified information.
Neither was Dan Rather for fabricating false and libelous charges against Bush, I fail to see the standard when applied to this case, as there are hundreds of thousands.
It is also debatable how compromising the cables are. They are all common knowledge tidbits and past information. The military leaks have not put any current soldiers or opperations in danger.
As I stated, IMHO. Also, you agree with my suspicion that the leaks are selective in nature. However, Gates has not been so condecsending towards the leaks, and the key word as to the danger our operations have been put in is...'yet'.
The rape charges are complete BS and are politically motivated. What are the odds that 2 women he meets continue to have contact with him for 6 days after having sex and then suddenly file charges without completing a rape kit? One of the women even left the next morning and brought him breakfast. :crazy:
:agree:
However, if you seek to disrupt the ststus quo you have to expect retribution...and in this case it was a huge disruption. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some 'back room dealings' regarding the charges these women have levied.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Neither was Dan Rather for fabricating false and libelous charges against Bush, I fail to see the standard when applied to this case, as there are hundreds of thousands.

As I stated, IMHO. Also, you agree with my suspicion that the leaks are selective in nature. However, Gates has not been so condecsending towards the leaks, and the key word as to the danger our operations have been put in is...'yet'.

:agree:
However, if you seek to disrupt the ststus quo you have to expect retribution...and in this case it was a huge disruption. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some 'back room dealings' regarding the charges these women have levied.

Is locking someone up based on false unrelated charges justified because the individual broke different laws?

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Talk abut getting thrown under the bus for stupid ****.

Wow.

I'm now wondering what the really good stuff is he has not leaked yet.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
He added: "Both women have declared they had consensual sexual relations with our client and that they continued to instigate friendly contact well after the alleged incidents. Only after the women became aware of each other's relationship with Mr Assange did they make their allegations against him.
:laughing:

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow.........

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about:

Electronic medical records.
Naked body scans at airports.
Credit reports.
IRS information.

:lookinup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
How many people here think that a PFC pulled off the greatest leak in US Government history? And, why did it have to be a gay soldier? :laughing:

I'm getting my tinfoil hat back on, this whole thing stinks worse than a dead skunk on a 108 degree Texas day...:lookinup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I consider this asshat a terrorist.

He has threated to release more damaging info if anything happens to him.
So in other words, let me try and harm you. If you fight back, I will hurt you more than I already am.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts