Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of selling my C6 convertible and going back in time again.

So, anyone have a 350 CI 350 HP 11 to 1 CR stock 1969 or 70 and do you have any problem running 93 octane? Pinging, etc.? I remember my 70 LT1 did not like it at all. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You could "possibly" get some pinging but it's really more about the tune up. Remember the factory compression ratios are usually optimistic....I would be surprised if that 350/350 actually even had a true 10.0-1. Just get the ignition curve right, limit the amount of vacuum advance it gets and you should be fine. Going down a heat range or two on the plugs won't be a bad idea either... Odds are that most 350/350 cars you buy will have enough mileage that the engine will be "worn in" anyway and not likely anywhere near 11-1...

FWIW....my 496 has iron heads, has a measured 10.0-1 comp and runs perfect on 93 oct. But I keep my total timing at 32* and only add 4.5* of vac advance at idle/cruise. I have burned a head gasket on it from detonation before I figured out 38* was too much....:down:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
You could "possibly" get some pinging but it's really more about the tune up. Remember the factory compression ratios are usually optimistic....I would be surprised if that 350/350 actually even had a true 10.0-1. Just get the ignition curve right, limit the amount of vacuum advance it gets and you should be fine. Going down a heat range or two on the plugs won't be a bad idea either... Odds are that most 350/350 cars you buy will have enough mileage that the engine will be "worn in" anyway and not likely anywhere near 11-1...
:agree: I rarely have any issues running 91 octane in my '69 L46 with 36* of timing. Occasionally a little knock up near redline, but not all the time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:agree: I rarely have any issues running 91 octane in my '69 L46 with 36* of timing. Occasionally a little knock up near redline, but not all the time.
Interesting. My 70 LT1 did not like 93 octane, maybe it was the cam vs. to L46 cam specs.

I loved my 66 with the 327 300 HP, instant throttle response and great low end torque.

I would really like to find a 427 or 454 390 hp (69/70) with the 10.25:1, that should be very safe with 93 octane.

Do you run stock plugs or one range colder? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I rebuilt my top end on my 81 350 with Alum heads and a new cam but the bottom end stayed stock and after setting the timing (very advanced due to the cam) she runs great and I only put in 91-93

1 - 5 of 5 Posts