Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
9.5 by what? 15" 16" 17" 18"??

I've got 19x10 with stock arms. No issues.

Offset arms are sometimes needed with 15" and maybe 16" rims.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
haha yeah...17"
You should be ok. :thumbsup:

A 17x9.5 with a 5" back space should fit fine.

Move the parking brake cable to the top of the arm.
Set up your backspace to give you about .25"-.5" room between the tire sidewall and the inner wheel well. :thumbsup:

Remember the tire will stick out beyond the rim width by .5"-1" depending on the tire size & brand.

What rims are you planning on running???? :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rears are 17x9.5 w5" BS good there :partyon:

You know, the wife and I looked at so many wheels our heads were spinning. She said she didn't want the TT cause we want the car to be different that 90% of the other C3's running those

We went with Centerline Daggers

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The rears are 17x9.5 w5" BS good there :partyon:

You know, the wife and I looked at so many wheels our heads were spinning. She said she didn't want the TT cause we want the car to be different that 90% of the other C3's running those

We went with Centerline Daggers
Those are :cool:

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought they were :cool: too. Hopefully they look good on the car too. Of course they were either backordered or a special order so I won't get them until next month. No biggie though. Body will be off the frame in a week or 2. I have lots of cleaning to do before the wheels and tires go on. The car might get a repaint as well. Depends on my painter and my cash flow

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, it looks like you got your answer.

But yeah, you won't have a problem. I run the 18x 9.5" rim out back.

You either have to grind a little bit on the tab that holds the E-brake cable. Or relocate the cable onto the top of the T/A. which will require welding, if you want the tab up there. Otherwise, the cable will rub against the tire.
Quite worth it to have big tires out back!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ok guys i am going to have to disagree with you all here,17 x 10 ,i think will not work on stock trailing arms,please ask about this a little more before buying rims,thats why i went with 18 in on my car because you cant run 17x10 rim.with out offset trailing arms.
I could be wrong ,i cant remember ,getting old i guess:laughing:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Ok guys i am going to have to disagree with you all here,17 x 10 ,i think will not work on stock trailing arms,please ask about this a little more before buying rims,thats why i went with 18 in on my car because you cant run 17x10 rim.with out offset trailing arms.
I could be wrong ,i cant remember ,getting old i guess:laughing:
Always a fly in the ointment. :laughing:
Any body running 17" rims here????

Bryan's running 9.5 too, not 10"....does that make a difference?

Personally, I'd go up to 18" anyway. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I remember right :crazy: I believe I saw a post comparing the factory 15x8 w/4" BS. My 17x9.5 has 5" BS. This should only put me 1/2" closer assuming the tires I go with aren't bulging out

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
If I remember right :crazy: I believe I saw a post comparing the factory 15x8 w/4" BS. My 17x9.5 has 5" BS. This should only put me 1/2" closer assuming the tires I go with aren't bulging out
Tire Bulge has a lot to do with the fitment. :agree: The larger the rim size, the less tire bulge you get. My 285/35/19 tires on 19x10 rims is the same overall width as my old 275/60/15 tires on 15x8 rims. My rims are 2 inches wider as is my tread, but they occupy the same width in the car. The 19" rims have a 5" backspace where the 15" had a 4".

The question to me becomes wether a 17" rim will clear the end of the spring. I don't think the trailing arm, sway bar, or wheel well will be an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tire Bulge has a lot to do with the fitment. :agree: The larger the rim size, the less tire bulge you get. My 285/35/19 tires on 19x10 rims is the same overall width as my old 275/60/15 tires on 15x8 rims. My rims are 2 inches wider as is my tread, but they occupy the same width in the car. The 19" rims have a 5" backspace where the 15" had a 4".

The question to me becomes wether a 17" rim will clear the end of the spring. I don't think the trailing arm, sway bar, or wheel well will be an issue.
You may want to invest 75.00 in a toll called a wheel rite-it will let you find out what size & backspace you can run. Jegs and Summit both sell it. Used it many times, solves lots of problems

·
Registered
552 Posts
When you pursue big rims to the Nth degree you end up with another variable that's not mentioned, and that's how the inner lip is shaped.

Example, a billet wheel like 17x9.5 torque thrust has a very thin inner bead that provides a lot of brake clearance. It looks like a steel rim with sheetmetal following the tire's lip. But a 17x9 Z06 wheel has a large, chunky inner bead because it's a cast rim.

So as you wade thru all this take a good look at the inside of your rim of choice and see how it's shaped. It looks like all your other variables stack close enough this is what's gonna make or break ya.

good luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My new Centerline's came in the other day. I'll mount it on tomorrow and double check it .... after I get the lift installed :partyon:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts