Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Spotted Owl the Delta Smelt and now the Sagebrush Lizard... Anything to stop those evil capitalists.
-------------------------------------

Species: After the harm done by the spotted owl and delta smelt, the listing of a tiny reptile as endangered may be the latest salvo in the war on domestic energy.

As Yogi Berra would say, it's deja vu all over again. If the dunes sagebrush lizard is listed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as an endangered species, another key part of the American economy will fall prey to the eco-extremist mantra that every little critter's well-being trumps that of the American people and economy.

Last December, the Fish and Wildlife Service announced that the lizard, a three-inch-long reptile native to the American Southwest, "faces immediate and significant threats due to oil and gas activities and herbicide treatments" and initiated the process to get it listed under the Endangered Species Act.

In 2002, the Center for Biological Diversity first petitioned to have the lizard, originally considered a subspecies of the common sagebrush lizard, listed as endangered. The Bush administration delayed consideration for six years. Last year, the Obama administration put it back on the fast track.

And why not? This is an administration that has ignored a judge's order to remove restrictions on oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and designated vast areas in and off Alaska as protected habitat for the caribou and the polar bears, species whose only problem is one of overpopulation.

As director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Steven Chu, Obama's secretary of energy, expressed a fondness for high European gas prices as a means of reducing consumption of fossil fuels. In a September 2008 newspaper interview, he said: "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe." Gas prices in Europe then averaged about $8 a gallon.

As gas prices here soar toward $5 a gallon, Chu's friends at the Interior Department may help him and President Obama get the rest of the way toward their goal. If the dunes sagebrush lizard, now considered a separate species, is granted endangered status, oil and gas production in the Permian Basin in New Mexico and Texas may have to be shut down.

When Obama recently addressed the current energy crisis, he told Americans not to worry: "We've been down this road before." But we should worry — and for that very reason. We've seen the spotted owl kill logging and create ghost towns in the Northwest. The ESA's listing of the delta smelt created 40% unemployment in California's San Joaquin Valley and turned America's food basket into a dust bowl.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAna...271827/Will-A-Lizard-Stop-West-Texas-Oil-.htm

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Obama has been busy paying back his two biggest financial supporters: unions and environmentalists. How on earth does such a small constituency have such power over the masses?
2012 voters ---> :nuts: <--- Obama

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have these lizards around my house. Is my house a habitat for lizards, now ? Will I be permitted to paint my home in the future ?

We joke about the left giving rights to mother nature... they already have.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Obama + EPA = $1000 a barrel oil

You heard it here first.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
In my experiences these endangered species are used by people to block things form their back yards. It should not be allowed at all. I am sure Texas will get around this....hell if you have a little brush fire over there in west texas, you probably wouldn't have any more spotted lizzards....now would you? ;););)

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
In my experiences these endangered species are used by people to block things form their back yards. It should not be allowed at all. I am sure Texas will get around this....hell if you have a little brush fire over there in west texas, you probably wouldn't have any more spotted lizzards....now would you? ;););)
Since we hardly warrant national attention, you wouldn't know we are in one of the most serious brush fire seasons in recent history.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just import some spotted owls... two lizards with one owl :laughing:

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Just import some spotted owls... two lizards with one owl :laughing:
We had a case in town a couple of years ago. A developer bought a parcell of land and was going to build 38 houses on it. One of the neighbors said that he believed that there was a turtle that was on the endangered species list, that was on that property. He pushed to have a study done to find out. The DEP studied the property to look for the conditions that the turtle required to live there and did not find it. This guy then called the DEP and said that he had seen one and that they should come out and look at it. They did. They actualy found the turtle right were the guy said it was, but they also found something that this guy hadn't noticed...a small number etched into the turtle shell. that number was a tracking number put on by the Rutgers extension service who was doing a study of these turtles in the area they lived in. The number was traced and it was found that the turtle had just three months before been captured measured and tagged over 100 miles away. The guy was arrested for trapping an endangered species and he pled guilty for a non-jail sentence.

His wife came to one of the meetings crying that they had always taken walks through those woods and they loved the town because of it. She told us that her husbands actions were because he loved the town so much.

We approved the development and they both moved away. NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) are a huge problem in this country.

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
**** you and the horse you rode in on.

Don't you EVER get onto me for ANY of my posts ever again. People have DIED in those fires, many of the survivors have lost everything including their children.

But I guess as long as your kids get their Camaros on time you don't really give a **** do you?

:rolleyes:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
The systematic destruction of this country is in high gear, yeah I got my tin foil hate, you better have yours. It's not bad policy, it's an anti-American government. The goal is scorched earth, so they can build their utopian society.

Sure, it's conspiracy theory.. but what has this government done in the last 20 years that helped the country? Not a damn thing.

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts

Got stuck in this on the way home from work, just freakin' came out of nowhere. Screw the lizards, save the Humans!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts