Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 and the other day while my wife was on her way to work she said the dash light got really bright and then the car just stopped running. She sat for a minute and then she tried and the car restarted and she drove to work just fine. I picked the car up and drove it home and watched the voltage meter all the way and it ran between 12 volts at idle with the air and everything running to 13.8 at cruising speed. One other note of intrest is that about three weeks ago while I was driving I stopped at a rest stop and when I returned the car would not start. It actually would not even crank and yet I had headlights, interior lights and everything seemed to work fine. I disconnected the battery and reconnected with no success. I then put the key in the door and unlocked the door and the car started right up. It was raining extreemly hard that day but I am not sure that had anything to do with it. I am getting ready to make a long journey to Charlotte and would like to make sure that I have no problems. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Schaufele said:
It actually would not even crank and yet I had headlights, interior lights and everything seemed to work fine. I disconnected the battery and reconnected with no success. I then put the key in the door and unlocked the door and the car started right up.
Welcome to digitalcorvettes! :cheers:

If it wouldn't crank at all, but you had all of your other electrical, it sounds like a VATS issue (vehicle anti-theft system).

I had a similar issue on my 96. Apparently the little prongs in the stearing column that grabbed the chip on the ignition key were only touching intermittantly. Since I was attempting to start the car without the chip touching, the VATS went into effect and killed the starter for 3-5 minutes. And, if I tried to start it again within that 3-5 minutes, it just added another 3-5 minutes. A real pain in the ass.

I tried a new key, but the solution was for a friend of mine to build me a custom VATS bypass. (in lieu of tearing into my stearing column).

But, there are VATS bypasses for your year car available from Mid America or Ecklers. Pretty cheap and easy to plug in.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts