Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm checking out a set of tires/rims on the for sale site and need to know if these rims will fit my '68 coupe. I have stock suspension and the parking brake cable has NOT been moved.

The tires and wheels are:
17x8 MB Wheels Old School wrapped in Kumho Ecsta SPT 245/45's up front and 255/50's out back.
Back space is 4.5; Offset is 0

I like these rims:thumbs: (so does the Wife -- actually she likes the car they're on:thud:) I think the fronts will leave a little more of the wheel well showing but the backs should be okay. The tire width will be narrower on the front so clearance with steering shouldn't be a problem. My biggest concern is clearance from the brakes and the parking brake cable on the back. I can always re-locate the cable if necessary.

Here's a pic of the rims.

Any and all help/opinions/input will be considered.:cheers::cheers:

68rat

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I think I saw these on the other site in the parts section? He mentioned he was running a spacer also for "appearance and brake clearance".

A 4" backspace would have been perfect on these. The 4.5" bs moves the wheel/tire sidewall closer to the parking brake bracket. :down: That would be the only real issue. The tires will also sit .5" further inside the wheel well than stock. I'd be leary of using a .5" spacer on stock lug nuts to bring them back out though.

245's on the front should give no steering rub issues as they are shorter than stock.

So will they fit? Yes. You may need to move your parking cable and they will sit inward quite a bit from stock without spacers.

They ARE nice looking wheels though. :agree:

Edit: I'd shop these around and look at new prices. You may not be saving much buying this set over ordering a new set. Especially if shipping is involved? :huh:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
I can never keep this straight... What is the backspacing on the stock 8" wide rally wheel? For some reason 4" sticks in my mind, but I also feel like it's a zero offset wheel. So which is it?

4" BS
or
4.5" BS and 0 offset

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I can never keep this straight... What is the backspacing on the stock 8" wide rally wheel? For some reason 4" sticks in my mind, but I also feel like it's a zero offset wheel. So which is it?

4" BS
or
4.5" BS and 0 offset
'69-'82 Vette

15x8 rim
4.0 BS
-0.5" offset

I believe the '68 models came with 15x7 rims with 3.75 BS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts