Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
finally going to do the work necessary to replace the engine and trans in my '78. Just got my rebuilt LS1. It's all nice and pretty sitting in the garage. Now I'm looking for a 4L60E trans. Will this one work for my vette?

Used 4L60E

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey all,
finally going to do the work necessary to replace the engine and trans in my '78. Just got my rebuilt LS1. It's all nice and pretty sitting in the garage. Now I'm looking for a 4L60E trans. Will this one work for my vette?

Used 4L60E
That's not really the best one. C5 4l60s are different because they are rear mounted.

You would have to replace the bell housing, it won't cone with a tail housing because the diff bolts directly to it, and there is no provision for a dip stick.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
awesome. thanks for the info. What is a good 4L60 to look for?
As far as I know any 1998+ 4L60E will work except the corvette and 4wd truck models. The 4wd can be made to work but again it's just easier to avoid them.

The 2wd truck may have a longer tail housing than a car but im not 100% sure on that, someone with more knowledge will chime in on that.

Some of the pre-98 4l60s don't have removable bell housings and have different input shafts for SBC instead of LS. They also have different size (smaller) torque converters.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts