Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '79 vette 3 years ago with the plans of doing a complete body off restoration. So far everything has gone well, the engine, new overdrive transmission, suspension, breakes, front and rear spoiler, along with the paint job have been fun and trying at the same time. I have learned a great deal about how corvettes were built and I also have a new found respect for those who have already gone through a body off resto.
Down to the problem at hand. After I got my vette back from the body shop and installed all the proper weather stripping, I have a problem concerning the power windows. For some odd reason when the door is open the windows will go all the way up, but when I shut the door the window won't "fall into" the weather stripping. In order for the door to shut properly I have to press on the front corner of the window while I am closing it from the outside. Also when the doors are closed and I try to put the windows up from the inside they fail to go all the way up to the top. Maybe I don't have the windows adjusted properly, but I am at a loss on what to adjust. Any and all help would be appricated.
Thanks,
gman79

·
Registered
749 Posts
you need to re-adjust the window. refer to your GM service manual for the location of the adjustment bolts and it also gives details on how to make it tilt in or out .

it's hard to explain via on-line, but your GM service manual does explain how to accomplish that. also, if you have an assembly manual, it shoes in detail proper positioning and angle of the glass against the weather stripping.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help, i will check out my manuals, and yes both windows are messed up. the funny thing is the windows aren't the only items that don't work properly due to the restoration and modifications. but such is life.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
gman79 said:
thanks for the help, i will check out my manuals, and yes both windows are messed up. the funny thing is the windows aren't the only items that don't work properly due to the restoration and modifications. but such is life.
:laughing: I can imagine. Doing what you are doing is a SERIOUS undertaking. I wish I had the time, my dream is to restore a C2/C3. It won't be numbers matching, but nicely personalized to suit my taste.

·
Registered
749 Posts
the window would "seat" itself to the old weather stripping. when you add new w/s, it might be thicker or slightly different shape than the old. that's why you have to re-adjust the glass.

good luck with that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured there must be some kind of difference between the old and new weather stripping. I will have plenty of time to work out these little "kinks" seeing as how winter is nearly upon me and I won't be able to drive her around for a couple of months.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
3 windows are very hard to adjust, at least your first try.

What works on the passenger may not work on the driver. You have several items that change the adjustment.

I have found it best to pull the door panel, get in the car, loosen the adjustment points, put the window up where you want it to be, then tighten it all down. Use that as a start point, then adjust as needed to put the correct pressure and tension on it to slip into the groove on your weatherstrip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, i will give that a try. i haven't really touched it in a while due to other obligations, but i hope to have some time over thanksgiving to work on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WS and Silicone

As the others say you have to take the door panels off to make the adjustments to the window. It is a process simi9lar to evening up the legs on a bar stool. You can really clean the tracks while you are in there and the speed the windows will go up and down might improve dramatically. One other thing is to get a can of 3M or NAPA silicone spray for lubricating rubber products. Spray some on a couple of times a day and you should see the window seating much better due to the lack of friction between the window and the weatherstripping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts