Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone share any detailing trick for window cleaning? I have used them all from Stoner to Vinegar and newspaper.

The next time i see a pro cleaning office windows, I am going to steal his bucket.

O

·
0 Posts
I find that the foaming stuff from spray cans is far far far better than anything in a spray bottle. I get mine from the hardware store.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The GM dealer where I bought my Vette threw in a few cans of the GM spray cans of cleaner when i picked up the car & I find that it actually works very well, considering all of the various potions that I've tried over the past38 years or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have great luck with Stoner Invisible Glass and wadded up newspapers. Stoner does a great job of cleaning and newspapers do a great job of wiping without lent or fuzz or any residue!:buhbye:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
1996 CE said:
I have great luck with Stoner Invisible Glass and wadded up newspapers. Stoner does a great job of cleaning and newspapers do a great job of wiping without lent or fuzz or any residue!:buhbye:
Like he said, newspapers are just THE BEST. They clean, then buff your glass also. Real nice job.:partyon:

·
Registered
30 Posts
For a super clean and shiny windshield try using 0000 steel wool with Windex. Or, after cleaning your glass, wipe over it with a clean blackboard eraser. Both of these will leave it dark and shiny as well as very clean.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
g.red69 said:
For a super clean and shiny windshield try using 0000 steel wool with Windex. Or, after cleaning your glass, wipe over it with a clean blackboard eraser. Both of these will leave it dark and shiny as well as very clean.
:surprised Now that is a recommendation I have not heard before...

Wow.:cheers:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Anything with ammonia, and I use newspapers. Cleans the windows GREAT and polishes the glass also. Try it.

Windex and all the other non-ammonia cleaners really suck!!!:partyon:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
A couple things said/posted above,

That Gm cleaner and the foamy stuff are probably the same stuff. Some cool smelling stuff made by Claire Mfg. of Addison, IL. called Sprayway Glass Cleaner. Light blue and whute cans. Just found out that Restoration Hardware handles it too.

Steel wool on windows??:surprised :surprised

I have used Bon Ami and or Bar Keepers Friend on my windows, kinda like a scouring powder only extremely fine, actually polishes the glass. This stuff is great to cut thru road film.

Glass wax works great too, it is hard to find and is way thinner or watery now than when I was a kid. Biggest problem i have had with it is the "dust" of it when buffing of getting on dash and smearing dash board.

One of my old neighbors uses lemon Joy diluted into water yet sudsy on a rag and follows with newspaper to polish/dry. I can't get it to work but he can clean glass so you can't see it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sprayway Glass Cleaner and microfiber towels....great combination! :excited:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
After I washed the car the windows had a ton of water marks. To remove the water spots off the windows I just clayed them. Worked great. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have tried just about everything like most of you. The best for me is Stoner's Invisible Glass and Viper Micro-Fiber towel. Not the ones in Pep Boys but good ones off the internet.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm still looking :( Time to go out and buy some more new stuff. Stoners huh, can't be all bad with a name like that...... Does it have that certain smell to it :stick:

·
Registered
749 Posts
use bon ami. it cleans road film all the others leave behind. i've used it for years on my vette and every other car we own. oddly, GM recommends it as well. it's non abrasive, so it will NOT scratch the window. be sure to rinse thoroughly when done.

*****do not use products like rain-x.****** it only gives road film a better place to adhere to regardless of the claims

to clean wiper blades, simply wipe them off with alcohol.

my wipers on my '81 always chattered, no matter what i did to them or the window. after using bon-ami they run across very smooth." road film" is a clear buildup that needs to be removed.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I guess nobody uses windex anymore. Thats all I use on my windows and it cleans them just fine. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts