Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My window on my 99 vette won't go up. It worked fine all day, and now it won't go up. It goes up a few inches, then stops. Sounds like it is getting stuck, or off track. I can hear the motor trying to make it go up. I can't think of anything that would have caused it. Is it hard to take off the door panel to work on something like this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help! My window on my 99 vette won't go up. It worked fine all day, and now it won't go up. It goes up a few inches, then stops. Sounds like it is getting stuck, or off track. I can hear the motor trying to make it go up. I can't think of anything that would have caused it. Is it hard to take off the door panel to work on something like this?
Driver side or passenger?

Here is how I took off my passenger side.

It is not hard to take the door panel off. The key is the small pad under the door arm pull. It can be gently popped out with a small screw driver. Remove that to gain access to the two hidden torx bolts.

You must also gently pop out the window button assembly and then disconnect the wires. I think there is a screw hidden under the switch but I can not remember.The rest of the screws are accessible and use care when popping out the door panel to avoid breaking the plastic hold downs. If you can get your hands on one of the forked tools it helps, but I just pulled until mine came out.

Once the door panel is off, reattach the switch so you can manipulate the window. I had to remove the speakers to get access to get the window and/or the regulator out, so unbolt the speaker assembly and disconnect. You have to remove the window to remove the regulator so unbolt it from the regulator and remove the window and place it somewhere safe.

The regulator operates on a push/pull cable system. There is vapor barrier on the door but you will see some thick black rubber that covers holes in the door. Peel them back to gain access to the bolts you need to remove.. You have to unbolt the guide channels the window runs in and the regulator motor. You can then remove them all as a set as they are connected by the push/pull cables. You will have to disconnect the motor to get it out.

First thing I would check is that the motor is getting the right signal. Check with a volt meter at the motor connector and verify you get 12 volts when selected down and 12volts in the opposite polarity when you select up. If this is not the case your door module may be defective. This sounds unlikely due to your descriptions.

I would be willing to bet the plastic gear is stripped in the motor assembly. Remove the cover and inspect. I am not sure if you can get a replacement gear or not. I had my window apart for a different type of window failure so I have no experience with this.

Some notes of caution. When you go to put it back together you may have to align the window to get it seat on the weather stripping properly. Put the window in, set it all the way up and then gently try closing the door to check. If you are way out and slam the door you will damage the glass. Once it closes well run it up and down with the door closed to verify it runs up and into the weather stripping properly. You can align it so it is too tight and cuts out before it hits the top. Also make sure your speaker works before you bolt the door panel back on.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have the same problem on my 97 coupe

I took apart the door and saw this:

The window will go down fine (but it sounds like hell)

when i try to get the window to roll up it gets stuck and the spring compresses. If i roll the window down slightly (not all the way) then back up, the spring uncompresses enough to allow it up a few more inches. I repeat this process several times and when it reaches the halfway point it will roll up the rest of the way with no problem.

What would cause the spring to compress?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
That happened to my c5, it finally just gave up and did not work after a while. Last week i bought a new regulartor/motor and today it tooke me 2 hours to install it, i had to take out the window to pull the whole thing out. Now it works great.

·
Registered
618 Posts
That happened to my c5, it finally just gave up and did not work after a while. Last week i bought a new regulartor/motor and today it tooke me 2 hours to install it, i had to take out the window to pull the whole thing out. Now it works great.
do you have an installation/replacement procedure you can share with us?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello, mine did the same and it turned out to be the front of the window grabbing the wiring harness inside the door on the way up. The plastic clip that holds the wires out of the way came out of place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts