Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - you 84-86 guys out there with SLOW or inop power windows...listen up.

I've jumped in head first on this and hope to see the light of day soon.

The early model cars use a plastic strip ribbon that runs in a channel in the window regulator to push the glass up and down. It can fall victim to actually snapping - or it appears to become so rigid and tight over time that the window nearly ceases to function.

I found a replacement ribbon at the local auto parts store in the HELP section for $14 - vs. $19 plus shipping from the major Vette after market vendors.

I have the passenger side in pieces - I'll post up the results soon.

The stinky part about it is you have to drill out and replace several rivets to get the assembly apart - after I master the passenger side - I'll post up the driver side. There are many threads and discussion about this - Just want to throw my .02 and see how much success we have.

Our problem was the windows were sooooooo slow. The only thing I can find wrong other than the fact the grease is all hardened is the fact the ribbon has a permanent bow in it from sitting in one position for so long - when it tries to slide along the flat area of the regulator run channel, that bow acts like a brake and puts a lot of excess friction on it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I look forward to see how to make this fix,please take some pics for us bro,my driver side window is stranded for 1 year...:laughing:

·
Registered
597 Posts
good luck! its definately not too fun inside the door. ended up doing my drivers side 4 times... but i got really good at it in the end :D

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success! The passenger window is nearly 10x as fast as it was, and moves nice and smooth.

I have to take a pause for something else before I slip the driver reg out. I'll bring the Nikon and tripod up and document the process for you.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driver's door done - Waiting on approval of my pic upload here and I'll post the 411 on putting it all together.

Having done the passenger side - the driver side went super fast.

Yes...it is zooming now too! Well...at least zooming compared to what it was, but nothing like a C6 - or even a C5 - with 200,000 miles,...but still - fast..(er)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm very interested in the part you found for a replacement. Can you give us some more details on it?...possibly a pic of the package or a part number.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm very interested in the part you found for a replacement. Can you give us some more details on it?...possibly a pic of the package or a part number.
Sure - it is a universal ribbon you can get from you local auto parts store - should be about $14. HELP #74413

You have to measure out against your stock one and cut it off as this is about twice as long as it needs to be.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/showphoto.php/photo/76817/size/big/cat/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m looking for information and pictures on how to replace the window regulator ribbon and motor in an early C4 (1985 specifically). I found this post which was helpful but did not see the picture which were mentioned. Were they ever posted?

Any information would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I’m looking for information and pictures on how to replace the window regulator ribbon and motor in an early C4 (1985 specifically). I found this post which was helpful but did not see the picture which were mentioned. Were they ever posted?

Any information would be much appreciated.
I searched You Tube and no videos made replacing the Window Ribbon in 1984-86 Corvettes.
Last time I changed out a C4 Window Ribbon was on a 1986 Corvette back in 1999 In a GM Chevrolet Dealership I worked at.
It's not hard.
Exact directions to repair are covered in the Factory GM service manuals that I know most guys do not have or own.
You can upgrade to the much better 1987-1996 Scissor Half Moon Cresent All Gear drive window regulators.
Find them used on ebay or buy them NOS at High Costs from vendors.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,548 Posts
. Were they ever posted?
Chris never posted them. The link in his above post is a pic of the Help package. That is all he put up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts