Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the help on figuring out my paint code problem. Here is another question for you... In my '86, the window regulators have a white plastic strip that slides on a track and is driven by the window motor to move the window up and down. I want to convert to the '87 (i think) and newer style that did away with that plastic strip. Is there a parts list available or a web site that shows this swap in detail?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 84 GRANDSPORT ...<br>
You will have to buy a whole new regulater ($200.00ish) or you can replace the ribbin(white plastic strip) for $19.95.:lookinup:<br>
I can buy the later regulator for $50 bucks. Can I use my glass with the later style of regulator or do I need later model glass too?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Originally posted by rips-vette ...<br>
I can buy the later regulator for $50 bucks. Can I use my glass with the later style of regulator or do I need later model glass too?<br>
I believe you can....my windows are out of a 90.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 84 GRANDSPORT ...<br>
I believe you can....my windows are out of a 90.:thumbsup:<br>
And you still have the ribbin type regulator with '90 windows? Cool...:cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 84 GRANDSPORT. This car has been one odd thing after another. The drivers side has the newer style but the passenger side still has the ribbin style.

Man, this place has been such a help. I love DC! :laughing:

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 86 has both styles

When the passanger window motor quit on my 86, I noted that it had the ribbon style regulator...I thought that was changed in 86.

Then, the motor quit in the driver's door and darned it it did not have the newer style gear drive...and it always works much faster.

I bought a newer gear drive regulator (used, with motor) on ebay for $45, and replaced the unit in the passanger's door...everything fit swell, no problems, and no both windows roll up and down fast and clean....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man zog, that is the strangest thing. My '86 also has the newer style in the drivers side and the old in the passenger side. Are you the original owner of your '86?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Supposedly I am the 3rd owner, but can't verify that. I have found a lot of things that are out of wack on the car, and gradually I am returning the car to "normal". Another goofy thing was that the car came with a power driver's seat. However, it has a manual driver's seat and the power seat frame is on the passanger's side, but does not work at all.

I am sure that someone just did what was minimally necessary to keep the car on the road....

I guess that the important thing is that they did not beat the car up too badly, but lots of things were neglected....

In the end, it is still a Vette and I love it....:cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is creepy. It sounds exactly like you are describing my 'Vette! I look at some of the things on mine and say "How could someone do that to a car like this?"

A major problem with mine was that the drivers side half shaft u-joints were so badly neglected that this happend http://rips-stang2000gt.tripod.com/y2kgt/id4.html (second pic down) as a result of that, it dug into the aluminum yoke on the half shaft. This car has a much better home now though.:laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts