Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to invest in a window tint and 3M clearbra for my Corvette (I'm about to drive from Denver to South Carolina, and want a little protection for the 1000+ mile trip).

The best deal I can find is $600 for the whole package (all 3 windows, ClearBra on Hood, Bumper, Lights, and Mirrors). Has anyone paid less than that? Am I getting screwed here?

Thanks y'all!

Mike:thumbsup:

·
996 Posts
How deep are you going on the tint?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20%

·
Registered
313 Posts
The tint should cost about $150, I don't know what the clear bra costs.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the guy told me the tint would be the cheap part, so I'm guessing maybe another $250 for the clearbra... but that only adds up to $400... can labor really cost $200 more?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a local guy in Longmont, He is the only one I would let touch my cars. He has done two vettes and two Vipers for me, plus some 30 other family/friend cars. Gene at Ray Reductions.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much $$ does he charge?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks amigo!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
You are making out like a bandit. It's $250 for the tint and $750 for the clear bra.here. so you did good IMOP. :cheers:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats great news! It's getting done by a guy in his garage rather than in a shop, so I figured I was getting a better deal. If anyone is in there Denver area and wants to get the tint and clearbra, I can pass along his information.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's the $$

250.00 for the tint, he said that the back window is a bear to do, it requires shrinking two pieces because of the curve and bow in the glass, the seam will be on a defroster line, so you will not see it.

750.00 for the clear bra, this is 3m's best with the following: 18" piece up the hood, taking that out past the rear part of the fenders, completely wrapping from the hood/bumper seam down the front. Headlights, fog lamps, mirrors.

I don't get anything from this, just know that I have OCD when it comes to my cars and Gene does perfect work, guaranteed forever.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I paid $500 for Venture Shield on the bumper, lights and mirrors - not the hood. Venture Shield is said to be a better product. I've seen 3M turn yellow, but if your car is dark blue that shouldn't be a big problem. I've also been told that the 3M product is a complete bitch to remove, leaving residue behind that's very difficult to clean off. The Venture Shield comes off clean with no residue at all.

Having watched the application, I know how tricky it is. I would never try it myself on a car I valued. I believe the cost of professional labor is well worth the price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm interested in that 3M clear bra as well. A buddy of mine had a Frontier with one and you couldn't even see it.

Let us know how it goes, i dont want to get one done then take it off a year later to see my front bumper has faded.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went ahead with the $600 deal for the tint and bra, the guy did an AMAZING job! I'll be in transit over the weekend as I move to Ohio for the rest of the summer (and then down to Charleston SC in August), but I will post pics as soon as I get settled. The 20% tint looks mean!!!!:devil:

As far as the 3M clearbra... My Mom had one put on her 2003 350Z four years ago and there is no fading, yellowing, or peeling whatsoever. Looks the same way now as it did when it was put on. My Dad has one on his Nissan Murano about 18 months ago and same deal, no problems at all. The fit and finish of the Clearbra on the Vette is great, you can't even tell it is there unless you are staring directly at the seam.

So, Like I said, I'll get pictures posted early next week.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I went ahead with the $600 deal for the tint and bra, the guy did an AMAZING job! I'll be in transit over the weekend as I move to Ohio for the rest of the summer (and then down to Charleston SC in August), but I will post pics as soon as I get settled. The 20% tint looks mean!!!!:devil:

As far as the 3M clearbra... My Mom had one put on her 2003 350Z four years ago and there is no fading, yellowing, or peeling whatsoever. Looks the same way now as it did when it was put on. My Dad has one on his Nissan Murano about 18 months ago and same deal, no problems at all. The fit and finish of the Clearbra on the Vette is great, you can't even tell it is there unless you are staring directly at the seam.

So, Like I said, I'll get pictures posted early next week.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

:cheers:

That's pretty legit. I'm guessing you can't wax it though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I believe you can wax it. My VentureShield warranty recommends a plastic cleaner and washing it at least once a month. They say do not use: rubbing compound, clay or other abrasives, or high speed buffing equipment. They also recommend removing bugs and bird droppings as quickly as possible to avoid staining. This is true. We have it on my other vehicle and I have some bug splatters that just don't want to come off. It protects from chipping, but you can't just get it and forget it. You need to take care of it. In some ways, more than you take care of your paint.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts