Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1/4" crack in my windshield. It's two very short lines coming out of a small impact spot. The lines don't seem to be growing. Is there a fix for this or does the windshield have to be replaced? Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
If it just happened, and it's still clean, put a dab of clear silicone sealer on it and rub it in. This will at least keep moisture from getting between the layers and busting it worse when freezing weather comes. If it's old & dirty, you can try it, but it may not help except to keep more moisture & crap from getting inside it. Nothing will cure it, but that can prolong the life for a while.
I never tried the guys in the parking lots advertising 'free windshield repair'.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes, the crack can be repaired and most insurance companies pay for this with no deductable. I was very pleased with my repair. If your insurance company does not do this it only cost between 25 to 50 dollars.

:cheers:

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
they sale windshield repair kits i heard they work fine best of luck

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
In most states glass is covered with no deductable, your premium won't go up either..... my new windshield was less than $300 installed at my house, didn't even have to drive there.... the first one they installed cracked after a few weeks and only 5 miles or so... they replaced it under their warranty (glassamerica). A new windshield with no scratches and a nice tinted strip at the top makes a huge difference :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Harmon Glass does gauranteed repiars. I had them fix one when I was working in de-toilet. never had any more problems. get it done before it gets any water on it..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the good information. Sounds like I've got little to lose in trying a repair, and then head for replace if it doesn't work.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Thanks to all for the good information. Sounds like I've got little to lose in trying a repair, and then head for replace if it doesn't work.
If you don't already have it, add glass coverage to your insurance policy, when my C6 glass was replaced, it cost me $100 out of pocket for a $1400 replacement.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Break

You Will Be Able To See The Repair

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You Will Be Able To See The Repair
If you can still see it............ then it's not repaired.............is it. :D

:agree: with the Cracked = Replace.

I've seen rocks "chips" repaired but yet to see a "crack" ....... "repaired".

But then again...........maybe someone has something new out there. :huh:

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
yes but is it wise every time you get a little minor crack do you repair think of the cost even if you have coverage i think we should get rid of every vehicle except vettes then we should be ok:partyon:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
yes but is it wise every time you get a little minor crack do you repair think of the cost even if you have coverage i think we should get rid of every vehicle except vettes then we should be ok:partyon:
I guess minor depends on the owner and the condition he/her keep their Corvette in. For me, after purchasing a 58K car, I tend to keep mine as perfect as possible, period. And, after 24K, I'm still enjoying a nearly new car too!:thumbsup:

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
:agree: Even though i dont own a vette yet both my vehicles have a slight crack and i have used the crack repair seems ok but noticeable i guess if i owned what you have then maybe it would be a different story taking pride is number1 but were do you draw the line it can get expensive

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
:agree: Even though i dont own a vette yet both my vehicles have a slight crack and i have used the crack repair seems ok but noticeable i guess if i owned what you have then maybe it would be a different story taking pride is number1 but were do you draw the line it can get expensive
$100 insurance deductible for a $1400 replacement is ok with me. Now on my daily driver, which is a 2006 Jetta with 45K, I don't mind.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts