Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, haven't posted here in a while, but I have a problem with my 2009 convertible that I wanted to share with the good folks here to get some feedback on. I've owned the car for about a year and love it. However, about a month ago I was driving home from work and noticed a long crack in the lower left hand corner of the windshield. It's about 9-12 inches long on a 45 degree angle from the corner. I have a few pictures I took of it tonight and will link them when they are processed.

Anyway, I'm skeptical that this happened from a stone or piece of debris that hit the car. There is no spiderweb effect, just a long straight crack. I have a regular service appt on Friday morning at Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa, CA and will have them check it out but has anyone else had this type of problem? Any ideas on what could have caused it? The car is still under warranty but am I SOL on this one???

If anyone else has a late model C6 convertible and had something similar happen, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had two cars with REAR windshield problems - 1980 Honda Accord and a 2007 STS-V. In both cases they spontaneously shattered caused by temperature problems I think. It wasn't a crack like yours, it was like watching it spider-web in slow motion until they splintered into a million tiny pieces, then caved in. Both were repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the feedback. I'm sure that I will get some answers on Fri when I take the car in...hopefully it will be under warranty.

Keeping fingers crossed...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have the exact same crack on my '74, only thing i can think of is chassis flex during hard cornering.....or i've jacked the car up incorrectly at some stage.

the crack starts from the raw bottom edge at the wipers about 8" in from the drivers side.

I'm guessing you haven't had to jack the car up though.

I hope it comes under the warranty fo you

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a windshield swapped out under Warranty on my 08 Cpe.

Directly after I brought it home, I decided to pull off and reinstall the removable top while it was stored in my garage.

Just to check it out, and learn the procedure.

When I went to put the top back on, it did not fit directly back into it's fitments at the windshield.

So,, I took the palm of my hand and gave it some help with a palm slap.

When I got in the car, I noticed a small line in the Windshield.

A horizontal line mid up on the left of my windshield.

At best it was only 3/16" of an inch, coming from the left support, I thought is was just a factory mark on the glass.

I covered the car back up until spring.

Two months later I popped the cover and this same line had turned into a horizontal crack about 8" long!

GM swapped out the Windshield at no charge.

Be careful when installing your top, and beware of giving the top a firm tap.

If your top doesn't fall directly into place,,, Just, wiggle and have sex with it until it goes home.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear you but I have a convertible and have never messed with the windshield. I was driving home one day from work and I noticed it for the first time, which means it happened really recently because I baby the car and eyeball it all the time for any cosmetic issues.

Anyway, took the car to Connell in Costa Mesa on Friday morning and was very dissapointed with the service. I could tell that they wanted nothing to do with it right out of the gate. The service manager came out with a magnifying glass, took a look at it for about 2 minutes and told me that they couldn't cover it under warranty, even though the car only has 6700 miles on it and is still under the original factory warranty. He really had no answers for me as to what could have caused it and mumbled something like if the car had been an 11 instead of an 09 he might have been able to do something, which makes absolutely no sense to me at all since my car is basically in new condition. I told them how dissapointed I was in the quality of service I had received and they gave me the Chevy Customer Assistance number to call...like I said, they wanted no part of it at this particular dealership. I had heard good things about them from other Vette guys, but I will never take another car there due to their indifferent and generally piss poor customer service attitude...which is a shame because I'm going to buy another Vette before too long and they could have won a dedicated customer.

Anyway, I'm really pissed about the whole thing, I take care of the car well and expected better treatment for a 60k+ plus car. I'm going to take it to another Chevy dealer and see if I get a similar story and if that doesn't work I will call the Chevy Assistance numnber and give them the business.

We'll see what happens...thanks for the feedback from those who commented...really pissing me off that I don't know what caused it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I realize that you have a Convertible.
I traded off my 08 Cpe for a 10GS Vert.
Personally, I don't think that doing a palm slap to the removable roof should have cracked the windshield on the 08.
My dealer had "Three GM service guys" came out to look at the crack.
The three of them plugged their noses straight down to my windshield. :surprised

All agreed "Body Stress"

I think my only fight was that I had under 60 miles on the car.
What could they say?
Back when it happened, I did a Goggle Search and came up with this below;

GM sent out a message to its dealers today letting them know that they are beginning to look into customer complaints with 2008 & 2009 Corvette windshields that have cracks, pits, are broken or distorted. They have asked that dealers contact their GM representative immediately before replacing any windshields that could have one, or all of these problems.

As a result, windshields will be placed on parts return for a period of time. When we have more information on any possible issues or recalls, we will be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here's a summary for those who are interested and in case anyone experiences a similar problem in the future.

Originally took the car to Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa, CA. Was very dissapointed with the service people and their attitude, would not take my car to them in the future. They simply did not seem interested in helping me. Recently took the car to Corvette Mike in Anaheim just to get their take on it. A mechanic was nice enough to come out and look at it and didn't think it was caused by environmental damage. Said he's seen Vette windshields break and crack in the past through no fault of the owner and that the natural flex of the car and hot weather can sometimes cause it.

I called up Chevy Customer Assistance and complained that I was dissapointed in Chevy that a car that is in basically new condition and has a 9 inch crack in the windshield with no evidence of environmental damage is not covered under warranty. Told them I expected more for a 65K sports car. They had me take the car to another dealer for another diagnosis so I ended up at Selman Chevrolet in Orange, CA. My experience there was very different. They were courteous and helpful. After inspecting the car, they could not definitively say what caused the damage or whether it was a defective piece of glass. They told me they would follow up with Chevy Customer Assistance and get me some final answers.

Today I received a call from their service manager, a fellow named Rich, and here's where we ended up. Replacing the glass with a factory OEM replacement, including labor, is about $1330 in total. Because Chevy could not determine if the glass was in deed defective, they said they would pick up 50% of the cost of the replacement, or $665. I have a $250 deductable on the car, so that will be my out of pocket and State Farm will pick up the balance under comprehensive coverage.

I suppose I could have screamed at GM and pushed for more, but at the end of the day I get my car fixed, which is what I always wanted, and am only out $250 for a complete factory replacement of my glass.

What I learned during this process.

1. Use the Chevy Customer Assistance line if you are having a problem with a dealer or warranty issue. They were courteous, followed up with me as promised, and utlimately negotiated a compromise that I thought was fair given the situation. The process does work.

2. The dealer really matters and if you aren't getting a good shake, dump them and find another...duh, I know obvious. My experience at both places was really night and day. One was arrogant and apathetic. The other was courteous and wanted to help me get it resolved. Obviously, they still need to complete the job, which is scheduled for next week, but I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. I wouldn't have thought that my experience at 2 dealers 10 miles apart would have been so different but it was.

I haven't owned any other GM cars in a long time so if anyone is in a similar position down the road, maybe this might be helpful.

Still love the car...:cheers:

·
Registered
170 Posts
hitmanoc,

I am happy to hear that you got everything worked out. I hope that when other people read your post, they realize that the Chevrolet Customer Assistance team is there to help. They can be your middle man and speak to the dealership on your behalf to get a resolution to their issues. Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I am glad that you found a great dealership to assist you.

Thank you

Elizabeth, Chevy Customer Service

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hitmanoc,

I am happy to hear that you got everything worked out. I hope that when other people read your post, they realize that the Chevrolet Customer Assistance team is there to help. They can be your middle man and speak to the dealership on your behalf to get a resolution to their issues. Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I am glad that you found a great dealership to assist you.

Thank you

Elizabeth, Chevy Customer Service
No problem Elizabeth, will let you know how it all turns out when the work is actually performed. Looking forward to driving without a 10 inch crack staring back at me...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but you can get OEM glass cheaper from 3rd party installers.

My wife had two very similar incidents with her Prius. Stress crack, happened twice in the same place and manner.

Dealer wanted $650 to replace it.

We shopped around and got OEM glass for $230 installed at our house.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info bud, appreciate it. I did in fact check with an independent glass dealer who was referred to me by my State Farm agent. I wanted to make sure that the cost I was getting from the dealer was reasonable. Even going independent, they had to order the windshield from GM. Bottom line is that the total cost either way was within $100 including labor. So even though the total cost going the dealer route is a little more, I am more comfortable with that option if I have any subsequent problems with it. Plus, my out of pocket either way is the same.

I do think though that if the car were not a Vette and other glass options available I have no doubt that an independent glass shop would be slot cheaper than a dealer. In this situation though, that doesn't seem to be the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts