Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wipers quit on the 72.

On the down stroke they stopped about an inch from bottom. A few minutes later they went to the off and rest position and nothing since then.

The switch connections in the dash are ok and I do have 12v at the motor.

It was a bitch driving home in the dark and a drizzle rain.:(

Any ideas on what to do?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's the original motor.

I again checked everything that I can see and reach. All seems ok, but it no workee.:huh:

I guess I'll take it out and find some way to test it

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
the wipers haven't worked on our 80 in a little over 4 years..we tried replacing the motor and that didn't help..we don't drive it in the rain so it isn't a problem

·
Registered
75 Posts
Punk Boy said:
the wipers haven't worked on our 80 in a little over 4 years..we tried replacing the motor and that didn't help..we don't drive it in the rain so it isn't a problem
Oh, Brian, aren't we lucky:laughing: j/k

G

·
Patrick96LT4 said:
What else besides the motor could it be? Electrical?:huh:
Yep. The only way to test the function of the wiper motor is to directly wire it to the battery with an inline fuse. If it works, then you have an electrical issue.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My 72 had trouble with the wipers too. 72's use the wiper door. There is linkage from the wiper door that pushes a switch closed that turns on the wipers. That switch is located on the front of the firewall in about the middle to the right side of the distributor. If the wiper motor checks ok then it is that switch. When you turn on the wiper switch it first opens the door. The door pushes the switch on and sends current to the wiper.

The other thing is check for ground problems. I think even the wiper switch mounting needs to be grounded. Your problem I think is ground related.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the wiper door assembly 100% off when I installed the long style hood. The wipers were working after I had everything newly reassembled.

I have the wiper motor out and canit turn it on the workbench. Yesterday morning I ordered a new one.

I will trace out the ground leads. I'm wondering if somehow it shorted out in the rain because the new hood is cowl vented and rain water got to the terminals? But it should still turn with a wrench shouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
biltogo said:
I took the wiper door assembly 100% off when I installed the long style hood. The wipers were working after I had everything newly reassembled.

I have the wiper motor out and canit turn it on the workbench. Yesterday morning I ordered a new one.

I will trace out the ground leads. I'm wondering if somehow it shorted out in the rain because the new hood is cowl vented and rain water got to the terminals? But it should still turn with a wrench shouldn't it?
Not necessarily. It may only turn when power is applied.

For instance, on my C4 I cannot move the wipers up or down when the wiper-motor is off. So, I would think by default you cannot move it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
biltogo said:

If you are trying to turn the shaft that the wiper mechanism connects to, then no, you should not be able to turn it - too much gear reduction going on in that box!

You should be able to run it on the bench - ground to the lug on the top and + to either terminal (hi or lo).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I couldn't remember if you still had the wiper door. You definitely can't turn the wiper shaft by hand as mentioned above. It's been awhile since I worked on 72 wipers, but I think I had trouble like you had. It was a ground problem. Either the wiper switch panel(I think it has to be grounded, sounds crazy I know) or the ground connector for the wiper motor (It was somewhere around the distributor or the AC box). Sorry I'm so vague. I do have an original 72 Shop manual. I can e-mail you pics if you need more help. Plus it will refresh my memory, too!!!
Chas.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Charles, thanks:thumbsup: I have a shop manual I was ref'ing too. I replaced the motor this evening and they work:cheers: :cheers: For some reason though the wipers themselves now interfere with each other. Not binding, but the passenger wiper bumps the drivers wiper to the extent that it looks like it wants to snap over.

And now my taillights quit:huh:
No lights, no turn signals, no brake lights, nada.
The rear side marker lights are on, and the turn signals blink normal in the instrument panel.
As I read the schematic, the side markers are in the same circuit as the the big red taillights.

If'n I don't get those rear lights on, my Saturday Dixie Highway cruise plans go down the tubes:(

Ahhhh the joys of an old car:cheers: :cheers:

I do know this. If I ever have enough time and nothing else to do, I will rip out all of the factory wiring harness. There are more un-needed wires and silly wiring routing in this car than anyone can imagine.

I fully wired a 41 Ford Coupe I had, and I know that my schematic was much simpler and less messy than the 72. I changed it over from (what was left of) the original 6v to modern 12v with full accessories. As an aside, I think products like the Painless wiring harnesses are a waste of money. A few rolls of wire, a fuse block, and connections from Autozone get the same job done with a lot less money spent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
biltogo said:
And now my taillights quit:huh:
No lights, no turn signals, no brake lights, nada.
The rear side marker lights are on, and the turn signals blink normal in the instrument panel.
As I read the schematic, the side markers are in the same circuit as the the big red taillights.
There is a common ground connection for all the tail lights. Sounds like it's in need of repair where it connects to the frame.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts