Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really don't want to replace my windshield, but I see starburst around every light during the night. Nothing you can catch a finger nail on, barely visible during the day. Any suggestions?

TIA,

Andy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's what you need

Andy,

Eastwood's http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=glass+polishing sells a glass polishing kit for only 37$ # 40011, that will not only remove any and all hazing, but also light scratches that do not catch on a fingernail.

You will need a good quality angle grinder ( preferably electric ) that has a variable speed control. The labor is much easier to do with a roadster, because you can stand up in the car with one foot in each floor pan and lean over the top of the windshield to run your polisher back and forth, covering almost all of the glass in one swoop.

It is labor intensive, and you must be sure to work a large area at a time, so as not to dig into any problem area. The last thing worth mentioning is to keep the heat down. I use a small plastic spray bottle with clean water, and apply a mist every once and a while.

If you take the necessary time to do it correctly, you WILL be amazed at the results. :thumbsup:

Stepinwolf

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Eastwood kit sounds less expensive and less likely to create a water leak.:thumbsup:

Eastwood has a multitude of choices, the kit you point out is even on sale. Sounds like you've been there, done that! Have you noticed any distortion ? What is this "Special Glass Polishing Compound"? I've held one of those pads in the last year,

just don't remember where it was.

:cheers:

Andy

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe the powder is ( don't breath this stuff ) ceramic oxide. You will need to mix it in small batches, to the consistency of yogurt. When you finish any polishing session, don't thrash your mixing cup. Just let it dry, and the next time you take it out, all you have to do is to add more water.

Yes, " Been there, done that " more often that I care to admit.

As for distortion, as long as you do large swaths at a time, there is no danger of any gouges. However be warned, this is a slow, and tedious process, so don't be surprised if you spend many, many evenings, getting the windshield to an acceptable level.

Stepinwolf

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Thanks, Eastwood kit sounds less expensive and less likely to create a water leak.:thumbsup:

Eastwood has a multitude of choices, the kit you point out is even on sale. Sounds like you've been there, done that! Have you noticed any distortion ? What is this "Special Glass Polishing Compound"? I've held one of those pads in the last year,

just don't remember where it was.

:cheers:

Andy

It's Cerium Oxide:thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Guys. Still haven't remembered where I saw that buffer wheel!

Recall the buffer pad being like a very firm/dense felt.

"However be warned, this is a slow, and tedious process, so don't be surprised if you spend many, many evenings, getting the windshield to an acceptable level."

Stepinwolf

This problem is on my 2000,

- Find Buffing Pad
- Find Cerium Oxide
- Find Extra Tube of elbow/shoulder grease (Bengay Work?)
- Nab keys from wife

Knew you guys would come through in JohnZ (Highest Compliment for a poster, IMHO) style!

:thumbsup:
Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts