Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since some of us get to store our cars due to snow..

What does everyone have planned for mods?

I will start

- New Master Cylinder (again, this time I heard a 4th F-body one works well)

- Might REMOVE the line lock, I am more consistent WITHOUT it.

- 17x11 GS rear wheels

- All 4 tires

- Replace forward lamp harness with one from a 1991

Depending on funds:

- C5 Front Brake conversion (Have the adapter brackets already)

- 1991 ABS ECM (need ECM and Accelerometer for the 91)

- 1991 rear body harness (have this already, but will install it if I get the ABS ECM) I also need to verify that the wheel sensor harness is the same pinout as the 91.

- Rear Flares They are $180 to buy then will need paint..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wow you have alot of mods planned!:surprised The main mod I am gonna do is make my car start with a push button! I have a starting issue & I am considering bypassing the start via key.....plus I think if done right it will look sweet! :) I just bought a mini chrome starter that is gonna look awsome!:excited: New tires,pedal covers,re chrome alternator,possibly get nos & I am sure a few other things are also on my to do listthis winter.:)

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
I am constantly amazed at the number of Corvette owners who do not have a spare engine, on which to do their modifications. It's much simpler to take your time and build a spare engine correctly than swapping out than it is to constantly have your Corvette out of service while you do all kinds of cam swaps in- take modifications, and other work on the single-engine.

At the present time I have four engines in my garage, any of them can be swapped into my Corvette in a single weekend. This means minimal downtime and maximum driving time. if It was not from a crushed ankle, and the lack of cash, due to being out of work for two years because of that crushed ankle and the accompanying surgerys I would have done several engine swaps in the last year as I had been doing every year for the last 10 or so.

Anybody that now is involved in an engine to build, quickly finds out that machine shops LIE to them, about costs and delivery dates. Parts suppliers, do the same. It only makes sense to Me, to keep your Corvette on the road a max possible amount of time. This can only be accomplished easily, if you have at least one spare engine. A couple friends, can assist you and with practice, an engine swapped in a single weekend is easy.

Add to that, the advantage of no rush to get the car back in operation and you can take your time building that spare engine correctly, installing and checking the parts at your leisure and only when you are satisfied that everything is correct, do you pool their resources get your friends together and pull a weekend engine swap.,

another advantage is that a something breaks you always got a second engine to pull parts from or to install as a unit to get back on the road. Another advantage, is that you may have one engine that passes emission testing, if the other one fails.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I would love to do the C5 brake conversion, maybe next year. ;)

I'm going to get the front poly bushings installed...

fab up an oil filter shield or,...

install an oil/trans cooler and relocate the filter...

lower the rear and get an alignment...

bleed the brakes.

If funds permit I HAVE to at least repaint my doors and nose.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
PAINT!!!!!
headers, cam, intake and carb
I agree 100% with grumpy, A 2nd engine is a must in my book.... The older your car is, The higher the chances of LONG expencive downtimes!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is my parts list for the things I'm doing this winter. Copy and paste did some wierd thing's but it readable now.

ØLT4 Hot Cam
Ease Scanning and Graphing
ØEM #C1180 long tube steel CC 1 ¾
ØEM,extinsions ØHeader Bolts
ØHeader Gasket
ØReprogram Chip
ØVacuum Harness Assembly for Opti-spark
ØInjectors cleaned, flow tested and blueprinted
ØSpark Plugs
ØCoolant
ØOil and Filter
ØIntake Manifold Gaskets
ØWater Pump Gaskets
ØTiming Cover Gaskets
ØOil Pan Gasket
ØOil Filter Adaptor Gasket
ØClean and Paint Oil Pan

I should have Ease next week, the headers in 7-8 week's and the cam/other stuff I'm picking up Sat. at Superior Chevy.

OBTW check out my Scan Tool Cart in the Gallery under Corvette Garages.
:excited:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
C4CRAZY787 said:
This is my parts list for the things I'm doing this winter. Copy and paste did some wierd thing's but it readable now.

ØLT4 Hot Cam
Ease Scanning and Graphing
ØEM #C1180 long tube steel CC 1 ¾
ØEM,extinsions ØHeader Bolts
ØHeader Gasket
ØReprogram Chip
ØVacuum Harness Assembly for Opti-spark
ØInjectors cleaned, flow tested and blueprinted
ØSpark Plugs
ØCoolant
ØOil and Filter
ØIntake Manifold Gaskets
ØWater Pump Gaskets
ØTiming Cover Gaskets
ØOil Pan Gasket
ØOil Filter Adaptor Gasket
ØClean and Paint Oil Pan
That sounds like my list from last year. I even had to clean and paint the oil pan. :laughing: Do the injector cleaning last. Mine sat for a few months and the oil hardened in the injector so I had to clean 'em again. :(

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thank's for the tip on the Injectors.:thumbsup: From what I read it only takes about week at Cruzinperformance. I figure once I get every thing cleaned up and start rebuilding I'll send um off.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have quite an extensive list, but here we have quite an extensive winter.
-New Weatherstrip
-New Seats
-New Emblems
-Refinish Wheels
-Paint or Replace Dash Trim
-Install Stereo
-New Carpet In Hatch
-Carbon Fibre Shifter Knob
-Sound Deaden Front Half of Interior
-Polish Underhood Aluminum
-Paint Valve Covers To Match Air Cleaner
-Fix Passenger Power Window Motor
-Clean Lock Mechanisms
-Cat Back Exhaust
-K+N
-Tires
-Brakes
-Flush coolant system

And If $$$ Permits
-ZR1 Wheels
-Headers

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
C4CRAZY787 said:
Thank's for the tip on the Injectors.:thumbsup: From what I read it only takes about week at Cruzinperformance. I figure once I get every thing cleaned up and start rebuilding I'll send um off.
Sounds good. :thumbsup:

Yes, they are fast. I don't remember anymore how long it took but a week total turn around time sounds about right. You're w/in driving distance of Superior Chevy? I'm jealous! :smokin:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have my modifications done while the cruising/racing season is on.

I'm a little burnt out on spending on the car honestly. We'll see what happens over the winter.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
No mods to the Vette, just to the checkbook. Planning on looking for a 2002 or newer Z06.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You're w/in driving distance of Superior Chevy? I'm jealous! :smokin: [/B]

Yes, there about 10min's up I35. There also the sponsor for the local club I'm in the Kansas City Corvette Association, We (KCCA) have a Corvette's only show at the dealership every May, last year I think we had over 120 vette's.

Superior is :thumbsup: in my book.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Jay 383 said:
I have my modifications done while the cruising/racing season is on.

I'm a little burnt out on spending on the car honestly. We'll see what happens over the winter.
Paint your roters & calipers....Cheep mod!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I know...they'd look very nice also.

I'll be in touch on this. I sent you some Ferrari photos from the show this past summer(it did NOT feel like summer considering it was 55 deg on June 22!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Jay 383 said:
I know...they'd look very nice also.

I'll be in touch on this. I sent you some Ferrari photos from the show this past summer(it did NOT feel like summer considering it was 55 deg on June 22!)
I just noticed my email is full of email from you...Thanks a bunch for the pictures!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yep, I had my last chance to drive the vette yesterday before winter hit. I was going to leave it in the garage but I just couldn't resist taking it out one more time. especially after seeing my neighbor driving his 04' he bought from our dealer on friday... After I put it up on the stands, drapped the car cover over the back, and went to work on the patient.. Since things slow down for me at home a little in the winter I can finally get some time to work on her. And it's fun when you can take your time and tinker. So yesterday I removed the intake and started working on removing the heads..

I am doing the following...
LT4 Heads/Intake
LT4 Hot Cam
3.75 Gear
New Radiator
New Front Spoiler (Mine has been hit with alot of wax and scrapes)
Possibly 160 degree thermostat
Possibly some exhaust mods
Possibly a Second Trans Cooler (I get alot of heat build up with the 2600 Stall on hot days)

We'll see how the Dana36 holds up and how well my trans build can handle the extra HP and Torq that should be added... There is only a few parts in the 4L60E that concern me for failure such as the reaction shell / sun shell and the input shaft with the aliuminum splined drum.. but I think it will be ok at this stage we'll find out when I start to break stuff..

-Rick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts