Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your normal maintenance routine during the winter?

I just started both vettes and let them run for 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes. I try and do this once a month. I also have them both on a trickle charger.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I try to drive her to work 1 or 2 times a week, Just to keep the juices flowing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Start and fully warm up at least once every two weeks, and if it's dry (no snow on the ground) I will drive around to rotate the tires. Only about 120 days to go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I fill the tank to the top, add one full bottle of fuel stabilizer , park it & cover it until Mar 31st, with a battery tender hooked up to it. I read in one of the leading Corvette magazines by a very highly respected Vette expert; that unless you can run the engine with a load on it; i.e. drive it just let it sit. Apparently the 350s don't like prolonged periods of idling to generate the required heat. The engine should see at leat 100 degrees C/ 212F to burn off any condensation. I just park it, drive it in the spring, no problems. I also give it a fresh oil change prior to parking. Hope this helps. E mail me if you want to discuss this futher. Best of luck

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ragvette.........

I start the 94, put it in neutral, let the temp come up to turn the fan on (228*). Fan goes off at 218*. I let this happen a few times. At this point, there's no more moisture coming out the exhaust. I operate all the switches ...horns, windows, seats, lights, heater, radio..etc. I move it back and forth to minimize flat spotting (although in the spring it only takes about 5 miles before the tires run smoothly). I read this in an article written by a GM Power train engineer, giving his recommendations for winter storage. I've been doing this once a month for years with no problems...FWIW

Frank

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
I was lucky enough last week it was nice to get em out for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
B66vette said:
I was lucky enough last week it was nice to get em out for a couple of hours.
It was in the 60's here in Chicago this past Friday. Now it's -9 :(

·
Registered
228 Posts
Through my collection of owning and winter storage, I found full tank of gas, bottle of dry gas, battery tender and cover worked great. I donot start till spring. I bought a couple of horse stall mats, 1 inch thick cutting them up and doubling to make 2 inch sections total to park on. In act, left the mats on the foor for the car to be pulled up on all year. Seemed to help that flat spot feeling when driving. Was wondering about the Vettes tires. Does anyone have this problem with them feeling not rounded out in the first 10 miles or so of driving after it has sat for a week? It can be a hassle to make all four tires perfect on these four sections of rubber. Takes some perfect calculating and fancy driving....

Laurie

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Just on the tire side of things. I only drive my car about once every two weeks and I get some of that flat spot feeling. I've seen those mats you can buy just for that does anyone know if it helps?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Never heard of them. When I first stored my first Vette, I took the tires to 35lbs and parked it on 1/4 inch thick, 1 foot square pieces of plastic to stop moisture from coming up. When I took it out and dropped pressure to recommended I noticed NO flat spots.
I wish I had taken pictures...I had the car in a flannel car cover then wrapped in tarps and bungeed underneath..the car was wrapped to the max! Then I put a clear sheet of plastic, like the painters drop cloths you get at home centers that you throw away ove the top. That was good cause after 3 months there was a lot of dust. I just took that and threw it away. All the tarps were clean and I didn't get all dirty unwrapping it.
The lady that ran the place told me I was the most anal winter storage she had ever seen. She's out of business now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts