Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we will take a look at some of my Picks Winter Tires for your 4x4 Truck & SUV.

Like a Corvette Tires are extremely important.
Just the C4 & C5 will move in snow with all season tires installed to about 4-6 inches deep.
Its because they have a near 50%/ 50% weight distribution & tremendous Anti-squat built into the IRS.
But we want to save the Corvettes for Street Racing & Street Outlaw Builds in 2017.
Driving in the snow with them is not in.
Also if a Semi truck plows into your Corvette at 70-90 mph your dead.
So Park them for the Winter.

It hasn't snowed at all here in Illinois yet but its coming.
The East Coast got Hammered pretty good.

Without good tires you will be in a Ditch.
And likely Flipped upside down on the Roof.
Or A Semi Truck will Ram into You here on Route 80 to Chicago. Some of those Morons have 700 HP Cummins Turbo Charged engines. I took all the Smog gear off & cranked up the Boost to 30 psi. So they can hit 120 mph easy.
Ding dongs don't slow down till one of them hits a guard rail and blows up.
Then they finally slow down.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(See Products/New Search)
Most Approximate Image Shown

Need help with installation? We have over 8,000 independent Recommended Installers and one that's probably just around the corner from you.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
All-Terrain T/A KO2

On-/Off-Road All-Terrain

(137)
| Reviews (126)

• Details & Pricing
  • Offers & Rebates
  • Size: LT245/75R16
  • Sidewall Style: Raised White Letters
  • Load Range: E
  • Serv. Desc: 120/116S
  • UTQG: None

• Qty:

Add to Cart Save for Later >

• Description
  • Sizes
  • Specs
  • Warranty
Lea en español
The All-Terrain T/A KO2 ("KO2" for Key benefit On- and Off-road with 2 identifying it as BFGoodrich's 2nd generation KO tire) is an On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed to meet the needs of jeep, pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers who want confidence and control on- and off- road. The All-Terrain T/A KO2 was designed to deliver go-anywhere traction along with outstanding durability, great wear and year-round traction, even in snow.
All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires feature a racing derived cut-, chip- and tear-resistant tread compound that delivers longer life (up to 2 times the previous generation tire's treadwear on gravel roads). The compound is molded into an aggressive, computer optimized, high-void all-terrain pattern with interlocking tread blocks, innovative siping and multiple loose object ejection features to combine off-road durability and traction with on-road handling and acceptable noise.
Upper shoulder Sidewall Armor features a tougher sidewall rubber compound that's twice as thick as its predecessor and a Serrated Shoulder Design that delivers additional traction by providing the clawing action necessary to develop traction and steering control in deep dirt, sand or on rock during "aired down" off-road driving.
The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon on top of BFGoodrich's TriGard, 3-ply polyester cord sidewall ply construction (2 plies for Load Range C tires) for strength and durability.
Single strand beads (a single strand of bead wire is continuously wrapped multiple times until the desired strength is provided) enhance the tire's fit to the wheel to improve uniformity and ride quality.
NOTE: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.
Related Information: What is the mountain/snowflake symbol?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2&partnum=475SR6KO2RWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=1999&autoModel=Tahoe%204wd&autoModClar=# Ratings & reviews BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

CONSUMER SURVEYS
Based on 137 submissions of our online survey.

• Total Miles Reported
  • Performance Category Rank
    1 out of 17
  • Would You Buy Again?
    Definitely
  • % vs. Best in Category
    100%
  • See All Results for On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
    TIRE PERFORMANCE RATINGS
    Average Rating:
    4.5 out of 5

• WET
  • Hydroplaning Resistance Wet Traction
  • 9.0 8.8

• DRY
  • Cornering Stability Dry Traction Steering Response
  • 9.1 9.4 9.2

• WINTER/SNOW
  • Light Snow Traction Deep Snow Traction Ice Traction
  • 9.5 9.4 8.3

• COMFORT
  • Ride Quality Noise Treadwear
  • 9.0 8.6 8.7
Note: Consumer Survey Ratings are from 0-10 with 10 being the highest.

• Superior (8.6 - 10)
  • Excellent (6.6 - 8.5)
  • Good (4.6 - 6.5)

• Fair (2.6 - 4.5)
  • Unacceptable (0 - 2.5)

CONSUMER REVIEWS

• Vehicle:
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Combined Off Road/Highway

Driving Style:
      Average
    0 out of 2 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    November 19, 2016
    i used to have soft speed ht tires before i bought these tires and they were the most confortable on road tires ever, but the worst offroad tires, no sound, slip on road, wet was no problem... but i needed a tire with offroad ability. i am an onroad driver but i go campings... so i bought these tires... these tires are good tires but i need to get used to them.

Was this review helpful? Yes | No
  • Vehicle:
    2009 Ford F350 XLT Super Cab 4x4

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Combined Highway/City

Driving Style:
      Average
    Initial Review:
    November 17, 2016
    Initially leery of tire due to no mileage warranty for a high priced tire. Now, having them on the truck could not be happier! Tires handle well, ride great, quiet, and go anywhere I want to. I am in central Oregon and we get rain and snow. I also use this truck for hunting and take it off good roads onto questionable roads during the fall and winter months. Mud, rocks, wet, dry - doesn't seem to make any difference to the tires. Just keep on rolling. Biggest problem may be getting over confident using the test tires! I have not had this set of tires in big snow yet, but based on all other experiences, I cant see them performing and less than every other situation I have been in. I do recommend these tires.

• Vehicle:
    2001 Ford F150 Lariat 4wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:

Driving Style:
      Spirited
    Initial Review:
    November 16, 2016
    These tires are so much better than the KO, wear well, handle great, for a 35" tire and haven't been able to get them to hydroplane even driving in an inch or so of standing water at freeway speeds. Great offload traction and tough as nails.

Media Gallery

• The New KO2 Takes on Playground Earth (03:40)

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • Mail
    Up close and personal, here's the new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 in its element. Baja, rocks (boulders!), mud, sand and even snow. Just a playground for these bad boys from the On-/Off-Road All-Terrain performance category.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4wd (See Products/New Search)
  • Best Seller

Need help with installation? We have over 8,000 independent Recommended Installers and one that's probably just around the corner from you.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
Destination A/T

On-/Off-Road All-Terrain

(1,801)
| Reviews (1,591)

• Details & Pricing
  • Size: P245/75R16
  • Special Edition Sidewall
  • Sidewall Style: Special Edition Blackwall
  • Serv. Desc: 109S
  • UTQG: 460 A B

• Qty: Per Tire:

• Description
  • Sizes
  • Specs
  • Warranty
Lea en español
The Destination A/T is Firestone's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tire developed for jeep, sport utility vehicle and pickup truck drivers who want tires that offer handling on the road and toughness off it. Available with three sidewall styling choices; Outline White Letter, traditional blackwall and a Special Edition blackwall featuring a stylish Carbon Black Camo design, Destination A/T tires combine ride quality and noise comfort with year-round traction in dry, wet and wintry weather, even in light snow.
Destination A/T tires feature a Long Link Carbon enhanced tread compound to blend wet performance and wear on-road with cut- and abrasion-resistance off-road. The tread compound is molded into a symmetric all-terrain tread pattern that features a continuous center rib flanked by independent intermediate blocks and wrap-around shoulders that combine highway stability with off-road and wintertime traction. Circumferential and lateral grooves enhance wet weather traction while faceted tread blocks and deep sipes enhance traction on loose surfaces and in snow.
The tire's internal structure includes twin, high-tensile steel cord belts reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon on top of a polyester cord casing to combine strength, durability and ride comfort.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT&partnum=475SR6DESTATSE&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=1999&autoModel=Tahoe%204wd&autoModClar=# Ratings & reviews Firestone Destination A/T

CONSUMER SURVEYS
Based on 1,801 submissions of our online survey.

• Total Miles Reported
    3 out of 17
  • Would You Buy Again?
    Probably
  • % vs. Best in Category
    95%
    TIRE PERFORMANCE RATINGS
    Average Rating:
    4.3 out of 5

• WET
  • 8.7 8.7

• DRY
  • 8.7 9.2 8.8

• WINTER/SNOW
  • 8.7 8.4 7.6

• COMFORT
  • 8.8 8.6 8.5

• Superior (8.6 - 10)
  • Excellent (6.6 - 8.5)
  • Good (4.6 - 6.5)

• Fair (2.6 - 4.5)
  • Unacceptable (0 - 2.5)

CONSUMER REVIEWS

• Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Combined Highway/City

Driving Style:
      Easy Going
    1 out of 3 people found the following review helpful:Follow Up Review:64,000 Miles on Tires

October 28, 2016
    Ready to buy new tires, why change if it works. These have been the best all around tire I've had for my typical 80 % street and 20% off-road (logging roads, deep snow and sticky mud) driving. They were rotated every 3 to 5K miles. Thread wear is even and handling has been constant without vibration. Driving across downed tree limbs and large rocks, lift kit required, I've never had a puncture. I chose load range C because my 2005 Tundra isn't a heavy truck and I wanted to maintain ride comfort by avoiding a stiff sidewall, I'm glad I did. Off road driving with slightly deflated tires and reduced response in the shocks is great. I did get a gouge in the sidewall from a rock but not deep enough to require a replacement, ran another 30k miles on it. These are a perfect match for my truck and driving habits. Buying 5 and changing the stock spare.

Initial Review:100 Miles on Tires

April 11, 2011
    This is not really to review the tire as much as the purchase. Hands down the best price for these tires was at the tire rack. I was leery about buying tires online but it all went smoothly. The tires were shipped the day I purchased them and arrived two days ahead of the expected delivery date. The installer, Goodyear, held to their price listed at the Tire Rack web site. Great purchase experience.

As for the tire, I'll add a review after I get some use out of them. So far their quieter and smoother riding than expected. When I say quieter I mean they are quiet, no noise at all. They are a pleasant surprise.

• Vehicle:
    2004 Chevrolet Colorado LS Extended Cab

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:

Driving Style:
      Spirited
    3 out of 3 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    August 08, 2016
    This is my 3rd set of the same tires on my truck. love there all around abilities on road or off road never have been disappointing besides then they are about do to be replaced then they ---- on hydroplaning but what tire doesn't. I have driven about 75,000 miles on 3 sets of these on my 3rd set now with only about 5,000 miles on them. Ive driven in 15 inches of snow no problem, ice covered roads, and 8 inches of mud before. I don't get the miles i should but i am a hard driver, if i drove like a normal person these tires would last a lot longer.

• Vehicle:
    1992 Dodge Dakota 2wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Mostly City

Driving Style:
      Spirited
    1 out of 3 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    August 06, 2016
    I'll start of by saying i am 17/18 years old. I have a very large lead foot. My dad bought a set of these tires 6 years ago and he had five years of life out of them and never drove it in the snow. Then the year of 2012 i was starting to learn how to drive. and my dad got a new truck so the dakota sat outside. The winter of 2012 my dad drove that truck for the first time in over 12 years. He said that truck had never handled so well in the snow. I drove it the winter of 13 and 14 and no matter how much throttle i applied it still had bite my truck is a 2WD but it does have a sure grip gear in the rear axle (limited slip for simpler terms) i have noticed a lot of wear since September when i put on a new set but i will say i had a lot of fun this past winter (ohio) and my lead foot is still prominent. I will probably only get around 20,000 out of these but my dad had over 30 thousand on them before i burned them off very reliable and well made tire will continue to install them

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4wd (See Products/New Search)

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
Grabber AT 2

On-/Off-Road All-Terrain

(1,355)
| Reviews (1,229)

• Details & Pricing
  • Available Options
  • Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
  • Serv. Desc: 120/116S

• 572.68$Set of 4:

• Description
  • Sizes
  • Specs
  • Warranty
Lea en español
The Grabber AT2 is General Tire's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers looking for exceptional traction over all terrains. The Grabber AT2 is designed to combine long wear and reliability with year-round competence on- and off-road in dry, wet and wintry conditions.
The Grabber AT2 features a chip- and tear-resistant tread compound molded into an aggressive, symmetric self-cleaning tread design featuring five rows of independent tread blocks to blend on-road handling with off-road traction. The tread blocks feature multiple traction edges and sipes, as well as are molded to accept optional metallic studs to increase wintry weather traction. Tread block sizes and shapes have been computer-optimized to allow the aggressive tread pattern to remain relatively quiet and even wearing during on-road and highway driving. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts (some sizes reinforced with nylon) on top of a two-ply polyester cord body to combine strength and durability with a quiet ride.
NOTE: While many of the Grabber AT2 On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tires meet industry severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol, some do not. Specific tires/sizes not meeting the industry's requirements are identified with a "Not Rated For Severe Snow" notation on Sizes & Prices, as well as on Specs. Grabber AT2 tires are designed to accept optional #13 metal studs to enhance ice traction.

Tire Rack Test ResultsGeneral Grabber AT 2

On Paved Roads - Highway All-Season or All-Terrain Tires? (03:32)

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
For most truck, SUV or Jeep drivers using all-terrain tires, most of their miles are spent on paved roads that link periodic off-road adventures or driving needs.

One common question we're asked from vehicle owners considering the switch to all-terrain tires: what are the differences/trade-offs in on-road driving behavior? So we did a comparison.

Read the Full Test Report

View Snow Traction/Handling Results Video

Ratings & reviews General Grabber AT 2

CONSUMER SURVEYS
Based on 1,355 submissions of our online survey.

• Total Miles Reported
    7 out of 17
  • Would You Buy Again?
    Probably
  • % vs. Best in Category
    92%
    TIRE PERFORMANCE RATINGS
    Average Rating:
    4.2 out of 5

• WET
  • 8.5 8.6

• DRY
  • 8.2 9.0 8.2

• WINTER/SNOW
  • 9.0 8.8 7.7

• COMFORT
  • 8.0 7.4 8.2

• Superior (8.6 - 10)
  • Excellent (6.6 - 8.5)
  • Good (4.6 - 6.5)

• Fair (2.6 - 4.5)
  • Unacceptable (0 - 2.5)

CONSUMER REVIEWS

• Vehicle:
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Mostly City

Driving Style:
      Average
    0 out of 1 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    November 12, 2016
    Not even 20,000 miles since I bought these tires and they are nearly bald. I wouldn't recommend these to anybody.

• Vehicle:
    2012 Nissan Frontier King Cab

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:

Driving Style:
      Spirited
    4 out of 4 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    September 04, 2016
    5th set of these tires for me;3 sets on Nissan Frontiers, 1 on F250 with 7.3 and 1 on a Jeep Cherokee. Can't beat them for the money. All ratings given for tire are relative to reasonable expectations for an all terrain. Never buried my truck in a mud bog or go rock crawling with them but they handle long runs on fire and logging roads exceptionally well. Bomb down logging roads in northern New Hampshire and they handle the loose and sharp rocks well. Was backpacking for 5 days and saw a lot of rain, truck was 5 miles down a fire road that was mud and slick rock climbs, had some interesting moments but pulled through all of it.

Snow performance is excellent. Live in central Mass and two winters ago saw about 120" of the stuff that year with numerous storms with more than 14-16". Handled it like it was not even there.

I drive them pretty hard and tread life is good. I get about 40,000 miles a set while never getting more than 35,000 on the BFG Long Trails that come stock on my 2 Frontiers. My wife's 97 Cherokee which is no longer a daily but still gets driven will probably see 60,000 easily the way she drives on them.

First set that I had were on my 07 Frontier, had some bulging at rated pressure which I had concern might expose sidewalls but had no issues. Running larger size on my 12 Frontier which are E ranges so that definitely is not a problem anymore.

Would love to see 3 ply side walls on these but will happily continue to buy them.

• Vehicle:
    1999 Ford F150 Super Cab 4wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:

Driving Style:
      Average
    1 out of 1 people found the following review helpful:Verified Purchase
    August 22, 2016
    Purchased these tires as a winter set for my truck. Compared to other offroad tires, I say the Grabbers are superior in three categories:
    1. Offroad traction: The tires first test was during Lake Superior Performance Rally running sweep, closing stages. Lots of hard pack, some gravel and some mud. These tires were excellent in the dirt, with only the rears ever letting loose with heavy throttle.
    2. On road manners and wear: I drove on these tires from the UP to Indiana in January, and compared to other tires I had ran (M/T's) these were extremely quiet. Tracking was good as well even though I had purchased a size with large sidewall. When I took the tires off in late April, the wear was minimal.
    3. Snow traction: Living in the Western UP means snow covered roads from November to March usually. These tires excel in snow, even with a pickup box unloaded and in 2wd. I rarely used 4x4 unless conditions were icy or depths of snow greater than 4 inches. The tread packs up nicely in snow to give great grip.
    Would I purchase these again? Absolutely, and have recommended only this tire to others.

Media Gallery

• On Paved Roads - Highway All-Season or All-Terrain Tires? (03:32)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • Mail
    For most truck, SUV or Jeep drivers using all-terrain tires, most of their miles are spent on paved roads that link periodic off-road adventures or driving needs.

One common question we're asked from vehicle owners considering the switch to all-terrain tires: what are the differences/trade-offs in on-road driving behavior? So we did a comparison.

View Snow Traction/Handling Results Video

• Highway All-Season or On-/Off-Road All-Terrain - Testing the Differences When Driving on Paved Roads - Winter Update (02:50)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • Mail

One common question we're asked from vehicle owners considering the switch to all-terrain tires: what are the differences/trade-offs in on-road driving behavior? So we did a comparison. On the road and in Sweden, where we tested the tires' winter performance, too.

View Road Manners & Dry/Wet Track Results Video

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
arch)

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
Blizzak W965

Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow

(100)
| Reviews (88)

• Details & Pricing
  • Sidewall Style: Blackwall
  • Serv. Desc: 120/116Q

• 632.00$Set of 4:

• Description
  • Sizes
  • Specs
  • Warranty
Lea en español
Blizzak W965 with UNI-T studless light truck winter tires were developed to combine good snow and ice traction with commercial light truck load carrying capacity. Available in Load Range E (10 Ply Rated) sizes, Blizzak W965 tires are for the drivers of most medium-duty, heavy-duty and commercial light trucks that require winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow covered roads.
The Blizzak W965 winter tire's overall combination of capabilities is made possible by Bridgestone's UNI-T technology that brings advanced tire technologies together, taking performance to a new level. Innovative tire design, construction and tread compound help maximize the tire's performance, ride quality and wear while providing traction in winter.
On the outside, Blizzak W965 studless winter tires feature a special Tube Multicell tread compound that combines microscopic pores and circumferential micro channels to help disperse the thin film of water that is generated when driving in snow and over ice. The Blizzak W965 features a deep, independent block tread design that employs zigzag sipes to provide multiple biting edges in the tread blocks to further enhance winter traction without resorting to traditional metal studs. On the inside, the tread area is supported by two steel belts reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon to provide a higher level of tire uniformity while maintaining its shape at highway speeds. A polyester cord reinforced casing provides strength and durability while enhancing ride quality.
Blizzak W965 winter tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.
NOTE: The top 55% of the Blizzak W965's useable tread depth consists of the exclusive Tube Multicell tread compound. The remaining 45% consists of a standard winter tread compound. Snow platform indicators (the equivalent of "snow wear bars") are molded into the tread grooves to inform the driver as the tire's tread wear reaches 50% of the tread depth.
Install Blizzak W965 tires in sets of four only.
Due to the traction capabilities of the Blizzak W965, Bridgestone recommends using Blizzak W965 tires on all wheel positions to provide the best handling characteristics and tire performance.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+W965&partnum=475R6BZW965&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=1999&autoModel=Tahoe%204wd&autoModClar=# Ratings & reviews Bridgestone Blizzak W965

CONSUMER SURVEYS
Based on 100 submissions of our online survey.

• WET
  • 8.6 8.8

• DRY
  • 7.9 8.5 7.9

• WINTER/SNOW
  • 9.3 8.9 8.8

• COMFORT
  • 8.1 8.0 7.7

• Superior (8.6 - 10)
  • Excellent (6.6 - 8.5)
  • Good (4.6 - 6.5)

• Fair (2.6 - 4.5)
  • Unacceptable (0 - 2.5)

CONSUMER REVIEWS

• Vehicle:
    2010 Ford Econoline

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Mostly Highway

Driving Style:
      Easy Going
    1 out of 1 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    March 16, 2016
    Used these on a sprinter and then E350 box van, probably 600,000 winter miles total in the last thirteen years. Best highway tire available in my opinion. These tires have probably saved my life on multiple occaisions. Been blown sideways almost off the road in blizzards, these tires let me recover in time. Great in light snow and ice, really good in heavy deep snow. Really low road noise. I get great mileage out of tires in general due to conservitive driving habits, these are no exception. Useable for me almost to 90,000 miles. Not a typo. The only winter tire I will buy for my van.

• Vehicle:
    2003 Chevrolet Suburban 4wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Combined Highway/City

Driving Style:
      Spirited
    6 out of 7 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    July 17, 2015
    I have worked for a Ski company for 19 years and travel to mountains all winter. I also pull a 16 ft. Trailer loaded with equipment. This is and will be the only tire I will buy as long I drive in snow. I have avoided many deer in the middle of the night on snowy roads in the mountains. I switch them out and put a regular summer tread on when the snow stops falling. I have even use these tires to drive my vehicle and trailer right up onto the slopes at ski resorts and have never gotten stuck. Take it from someone who drives in the snow a lot, this is a fabulous tire!! You do pay for what you get.

• Vehicle:
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 4wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:

Driving Style:
      Average
    5 out of 5 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    December 02, 2014
    I have had umteen sets of Blizzaks and will keep on going to them. You can not be better equipment on snow, snow packed, or icy roads, than with these ice and snow tires.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
: 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4wd (See Products/New Search)

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
iceGUARD iG51v

Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow

(27)
| Reviews (22)

• Details & Pricing
  • Size: 245/75R16
  • Serv. Desc: 111T

• Description
  • Sizes
  • Specs
  • Warranty
Lea en español
The iceGUARD iG51v is Yokohama's Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow winter tire developed for the drivers of crossovers, sport utility vehicles and light-duty pickups looking for traction in challenging winter driving conditions. Featuring Yokohama's advanced winter tire technology, iceGUARD iG51v tires are designed to be proficient in cold temperatures on dry, wet, slushy, snow-covered and icy roads.
Yokohama iceGUARD iG51v tires feature a high-density reinforced tread compound to enhance tread block stability that delivers longer, more even wear. This compound is molded into a directional tread design that incorporates a Variable Angle Center Rib around the tire's circumference that increases stability in dry weather conditions. Central Zigzag Circumferential Grooves feature 3-D-shaped walls to pack and expel snow while lateral Slush Grooves disperse water, slush and snow.
The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts on top of a polyester cord reinforced casing to blend durability with ride comfort.
The iceGUARD iG51v Studless Ice & Snow tire meets the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.
Install Yokohama iceGUARD iG51v tires in sets of four only.
Due to the traction capabilities of iceGUARD iG51v tires, Yokohama recommends using them only in sets of four to provide the best handling characteristics and tire performance.

Tire Rack Test ResultsYokohama iceGUARD iG51v

Testing Studless Ice & Snow Winter Tires for Crossovers and SUVs (02:54)

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
There's a common misperception that an SUV's or CUV's advanced systems can create additional traction. They can't. Their purpose is to help the driver make the most of whatever traction their tires can provide.

And for winter season driving, there is none better than a tire from the Studless Ice & Snow category.

We evaluate the category's newest in the most challenging winter condition. Ice.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=iceGUARD+iG51v&partnum=475TR6IG51V&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=1999&autoModel=Tahoe%204wd&autoModClar=# Ratings & reviews Yokohama iceGUARD iG51v

CONSUMER SURVEYS
Based on 27 submissions of our online survey.

• WET
  • 9.2 9.2

• DRY
  • 8.7 8.9 8.5

• WINTER/SNOW
  • 9.6 9.8 9.1

• COMFORT
  • 8.4 7.5 8.7

• Superior (8.6 - 10)
  • Excellent (6.6 - 8.5)
  • Good (4.6 - 6.5)

• Fair (2.6 - 4.5)
  • Unacceptable (0 - 2.5)

CONSUMER REVIEWS

• Vehicle:
    1992 Isuzu Amigo

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Combined Highway/City

Driving

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
: 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4wd (See Products/New Search)

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
Winterforce LT

Light Truck/SUV Studdable Winter / Snow

(49)
| Reviews (43)

• Details & Pricing
  • Available Options
  • Serv. Desc: 120/116R

• 504.00$Set of 4:

• Description
  • Sizes
  • Specs
  • Warranty
Lea en español
The Winterforce LT is Firestone's Light Truck/SUV Studdable Winter / Snow tire designed for the owners of medium- and heavy-duty commercial vans, SUVs and pickup trucks. Available in Load Range E (10-Ply Rated) sizes, Winterforce LT tires are for drivers looking for traditional wintertime traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads.
Firestone Winterforce LT winter / snow radials feature a winter tread compound molded into an aggressive directional tread pattern with tread blocks that are siped and can be studded to offer the biting edges necessary to provide traction in snow and on ice. Independent tread blocks feature high-density siping to enhance grip in loose snow while the intermediate and shoulder tread blocks are molded to accept studs that further enhance traction on hard-packed snow and ice. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts on top of a polyester casing to combine strength with ride quality.
Winterforce LT winter / snow tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol.
Install Winterforce LT tires in sets of four only.
Vehicles should always be equipped with equivalent tires at all wheel positions. Winterforce LT radials, due to their hard-packed snow and ice traction when studded, must be used in sets of four to help ensure proper vehicle control.
Pinned to accept optional TSMI #15 blue-colored metallic winter studs.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce+LT&partnum=475R6WFLT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=1999&autoModel=Tahoe%204wd&autoModClar=# Ratings & reviews Firestone Winterforce LT

CONSUMER SURVEYS
Based on 49 submissions of our online survey.

• WET
  • 8.7 8.7

• DRY
  • 8.2 8.8 8.4

• WINTER/SNOW
  • 9.5 9.2 8.5

• COMFORT
  • 8.3 7.4 8.0

• Superior (8.6 - 10)
  • Excellent (6.6 - 8.5)
  • Good (4.6 - 6.5)

• Fair (2.6 - 4.5)
  • Unacceptable (0 - 2.5)

CONSUMER REVIEWS

• Vehicle:
    1989 Ford F150 4wd Pick-up

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:

Driving Style:
      Average
    1 out of 1 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    January 21, 2016
    Second vehicle I have used the Winterforce. Excellent in snow and more than reasonable on dry. Due to size, my responsiveness is somewhat lower.
    Acceptable for use as year-round tire. Performs just as well in muddy or varied terrain. Will purchase again.

• Vehicle:
    2005 Dodge Ram 3500 QuadCab 4wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Combined Highway/City

Driving Style:
      Average
    Initial Review:
    January 16, 2016
    Overall a good winter tire on a heavy 1 ton diesel truck.
    I am able to move around on job sites without using 4wd quite often now.
    They do chase grooved pavement and truck ruts in the road.

• Vehicle:
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 4.6 SE

• Miles

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rch)

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
Winterforce UV

Light Truck/SUV Studdable Winter / Snow

(409)
| Reviews (362)

• Details & Pricing
  • Available Options
  • Size: P245/75R16
  • Serv. Desc: 109S

• Description
  • Sizes
  • Specs
  • Warranty
Lea en español
The Winterforce UV (as in Utility Vehicle) is Firestone's Light Truck/SUV Studdable Winter / Snow tire developed for the owners of light duty trucks. Available in P-metric and Euro-metric Standard Load or Extra Load sizes, Winterforce UV tires are for the drivers of light duty crossover, sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks looking for traditional wintertime traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads.
Firestone Winterforce UV radials share the tread design, compound, internal construction and dimensions of earlier Winterforce tires. This makes them fully compatible and allows them to be mixed and matched as necessary.
NOTE: Installing less than a complete set of new tires on four-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles may require that new tire(s) be shaved to the same tread depth as existing tires to minimize driveline wear and/or damage.
Firestone Winterforce UV winter / snow radials feature a winter tread compound molded into an aggressive directional tread pattern with tread blocks that are siped, stepped and/or can be studded to offer the biting edges necessary to provide traction in snow and on ice. Independent tread blocks feature high-density siping to enhance grip in loose snow while the intermediate and shoulder tread blocks are molded to accept studs that further enhance traction on hard-packed snow and ice. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts on top of a polyester casing to combine strength with ride quality.
Winterforce UV winter / snow radials meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.
Install Winterforce UV tires in sets of four only.
Vehicles should always be equipped with equivalent tires at all wheel positions. Winterforce UV radials, due to their hard-packed snow and ice traction when studded, must be used in sets of four to help ensure proper vehicle control.
Pinned to accept optional TSMI #12 silver-colored metallic winter studs.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce+UV&partnum=475SR6FWFUV&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=1999&autoModel=Tahoe%204wd&autoModClar=# Ratings & reviews Firestone Winterforce UV

CONSUMER SURVEYS
Based on 409 submissions of our online survey.

• WET
  • 8.6 8.6

• DRY
  • 7.9 8.7 8.0

• WINTER/SNOW
  • 9.5 9.2 8.4

• COMFORT
  • 8.2 7.1 8.2

• Superior (8.6 - 10)
  • Excellent (6.6 - 8.5)
  • Good (4.6 - 6.5)

• Fair (2.6 - 4.5)
  • Unacceptable (0 - 2.5)

CONSUMER REVIEWS

• Vehicle:
    2010 Honda CR-V EX

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Combined Highway/City

Driving Style:
      Average
    4 out of 5 people found the following review helpful:Follow Up Review:37,000 Miles on Tires

April 16, 2016
    Honda CRV second editions are prone to tire noise inside the car anyway, but once these tires wore down, the noise increased dramatically. It sounds like you are driving over a metal grate bridge all the time. Wayyyyy too much noise! I do not see myself buying them again because of it.

Initial Review:10,000 Miles on Tires

February 15, 2015
    I had a problem many years ago with Firestone tires and I swore I would never buy them again. Well, I did buy these snow tires a couple years ago, and I have to admit they are excellent. 400' driveway in upstate NY. Lots of snow and wind blowing drifts across it. We have been able to just churn our way through them with the all-wheel drive CRV. Excellent traction on snow/icy roads too. We drove back from Rhode Island in pouring rain, and we didn't even wiggle driving at speed through deep water on the Mass Pike. I have to admit I'm impressed. The only problem is with the Honda's road noise with any tire. These Firestones are very noisy on dry roads, but much of that is due to the Honda itself. They may not be so noisy on a different vehicle. They are holding up pretty well. I may get a couple more years out of them. So when it comes time to buy another set of winter tires for the CRV, I will definitely buy them if they are still available. I use summer tires in the summer, and winter tires in the winter on all our vehicles. All season tires are good for nothing. I'd rather have some tire noise and be safer with the correct tire for the season. The Firestone Winterforce were a good price too.

• Vehicle:
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 2wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:
      Combined Highway/City

Driving Style:
      Average
    2 out of 2 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    April 14, 2016
    I purchased these snow tires while living in Lake City, Florida. Needless to say, I got some really funny remarks when ordering/having them mounted. However, they were bought because we were moving to Upper Michigan (Marquette area), where we get TONS of snow. Most people thought we were crazy for buying them when we did (around the middle of March), because "winter is over" (even up here). We didn't actually leave Fl. until a couple weeks after having them mounted. Wound up putting around 1,000 miles on the tires in Fl. (90+ degree temps for most of that time). That gave me a very good idea of how these tires respond to dry surfaces. We absolutely love them.

We ended up arriving in the U.P. on April 1st. Between the 1st to the 11th, we had gotten over 45 inches of snow! THAT gave me a very good idea of how they handle in deep snow and ice. Again, we absolutely LOVE these tires! Our 1998 Suburban is 2 wheel drive (the main reason for needing snow tires in the first place). I can't even begin to tell you just how many 4 wheel drive trucks we have seen up here slipping and sliding on the snow and ice. Some of which lost complete control and went off the road. Meanwhile, our old Suburban has continued to plow right on through the deepest, wettest, heaviest snow imaginable. Just keeps right on trucking, through it all!

If you are in the market for a GREAT snow tire, I HIGHLY recommend these tires! We can't possibly say enough nice things about them. Upper Michigan gets FAR more snow than most places in America. So, chances are, you will be even happier with them than we are, if that's even possible. We've decided to just run these year round. When they wear out, we'll simply buy more. They're affordable enough that it's a viable option.

In summation, BUY THESE TIRES if you're looking for the best dedicated winter tire for the money. You will NOT regret doing so. Thank you, Tire Rack for offering these at such an affordable price. You will have our business forever.

• Vehicle:
    2005 Ford Escape 4wd

• Miles Driven on Tires:

• Driving Condition:

Driving Style:
      Spirited
    2 out of 2 people found the following review helpful:Initial Review:
    March 30, 2016
    It takes a lot to do a review this long. I recently moved to Denver for work and drive roughly 50k miles a year. We just got stomped with the worse storm since 2003. Work closed and I was able to drive around and help people who were stuck. My AWD is naturally pretty good.. but these tires are absolutely incredible. I drove across country on dry pavement from ohio and have been driving ever since. I am a business man, and HIGHLY respect honest reviews. These tires are worth every bit. Cheers!

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Firestone Winterforce Tires are my personal picks.
I have 1st hand experience using them on the Wifee's 1999 Honda CRV.
When others are in the Ditch stuck, smacked a tree, hit a guard rail & Blew apart, flipped upside down in a cornfield, the Wifee's Honda just rolls by effortless.

You can also see the Buying price advantage for my Old 1999 Chevy Tahoe.
15.00" & 16.00" rim tires are very affordable.
Unlike Modern 18" -24" rim wheels....Bankrupt you just buying a set of 4 tires......$900-$2,000 Bucks.

I can buy 4 New tires for $400- 500 bucks.

Also the 1987 -1999 Chevy & GMC K1500 Suburban & Tahoes have built in Factory Lift Kits.
You can easily install larger tires than stock.
285-75R16 tires fit perfect & zero tire rub issues.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Care for another review? I do my drug running all over the snow belt of West Virginia and the unplowed roads of eastern Kentucky. I need tires that las around 50,000 miles and most dedicated snow and ice tires that I've used last about 25000-30000 miles. I have found some inexpensive tires that I've ran over the years that do really great on loose snow, packed snow and even do OK on ice.

Always have used 275/60-20 AT tires. All these tires are in the $750.00 range for a set and I've found that my local tire dealers will beat any of the "discount" online tire dealers. By the time you add in shipping and mounting and balancing it's still better to go with the local guys. 16" tires are a lot cheaper than the 20's that I run. All these tires have the "winter snowflake" symbol on them and do better than any all weather tire that I've used.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W work well but mileage was kinda low at about 40,000 miles. The Yokohama Geolander G015 did OK in the snow but not so well in the packed stuff or ice. Mileage was great though at over 50,000. The ones that I'm running again this year are the Wild Country XTX A/T Sport. They go almost as well as snow tires in all conditions and last about 55,000-60,000 miles. All these tires make almost no noise and do excel at their jobs. The best in the rain was the Yokohama Geolanders.

I'll be driving about 325 miles per day this winter and don't worry about the bad roads and weather at all. When you've got a load of morphine, fentanyl, oxycodone, xanax and all sorts of party drugs you can't afford to leave the Tahoe in a ditch.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Care for another review? I do my drug running all over the snow belt of West Virginia and the unplowed roads of eastern Kentucky. I need tires that las around 50,000 miles and most dedicated snow and ice tires that I've used last about 25000-30000 miles. I have found some inexpensive tires that I've ran over the years that do really great on loose snow, packed snow and even do OK on ice.

Always have used 275/60-20 AT tires. All these tires are in the $750.00 range for a set and I've found that my local tire dealers will beat any of the "discount" online tire dealers. By the time you add in shipping and mounting and balancing it's still better to go with the local guys. 16" tires are a lot cheaper than the 20's that I run. All these tires have the "winter snowflake" symbol on them and do better than any all weather tire that I've used.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W work well but mileage was kinda low at about 40,000 miles. The Yokohama Geolander G015 did OK in the snow but not so well in the packed stuff or ice. Mileage was great though at over 50,000. The ones that I'm running again this year are the Wild Country XTX A/T Sport. They go almost as well as snow tires in all conditions and last about 55,000-60,000 miles. All these tires make almost no noise and do excel at their jobs. The best in the rain was the Yokohama Geolanders.

I'll be driving about 325 miles per day this winter and don't worry about the bad roads and weather at all. When you've got a load of morphine, fentanyl, oxycodone, xanax and all sorts of party drugs you can't afford to leave the Tahoe in a ditch.
The Thread is open for your Reviews and Opinions Gunny.
I just used Tire Rack .com for sake of Convenience to post for others.
I buy tires local too.
From a small independent shop nearby, Mom & Pops style.
And now from Discount Tire in Joliet because I work around there & we do lots of business with them at work.

I have been to Gunny Land- Eastern Kentucky- Virgina border in the Suburban & The 1987 C4 Roadster. Good tires a must. Especially in the Winter.

I live on a Farm in North Central Illinois.
Side roads get treacherous from blowing drifting snow.
Black Ice.
Interstate travel can deathifying in Blizzards.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I run the Firestone Winterforce UV tires year round on the Wifee's 1999 Honda CRV AWD SUV Gunny.
They last 45,000-50,000 miles.
I bought the 2nd set new last year.
She Loves those Firestone tires.
Its a a small 2.0 liter DOHC solid valvelash engine.
Has Spunk revved up but no huge Big V8 Torque we both love.
So it don't annihilate tires standing on the gas pedal.
The Honda has factory 4.30 :1 Ring & Pinion gears installed in the rear differential & front transaxle.
The Reason why it pulls & does so well in tough terrain.
Factory MOUNTAIN GEARS...4.30's.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
The Winterforce lasted me less than 30,000 miles and that was with rotataing them every 5000 and a great alignment. I guess the Tahoe weighs about 5500 pounds loaded and that makes for a bit more tire wear.

I wish that I had at least 4.11 gears on mine but I'm stuck with the 3.73's for now. At 60 MPH I'm doing about 1500 RPM but the 5.3 torque makes it seem just OK.

My posi is shot at 250,000 miles and I was wondering if the posi that I took out of my 1995 Impala would fit the 2000 Tahoe. Both are 8.5" rears. That would be the best time to put in some taller gears but it's Christmas time and gears aren't in the budget right now.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
My posi is shot at 250,000 miles and I was wondering if the posi that I took out of my 1995 Impala would fit the 2000 Tahoe. Both are 8.5" rears. That would be the best time to put in some taller gears but it's Christmas time and gears aren't in the budget right now.
Oh ****, I forgot. That's not about tires and that makes it a bit of "thread drift". Hopefully no master moderator will sneak in here and ban me. That would be a bitch. :laughing:

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Winterforce lasted me less than 30,000 miles and that was with rotataing them every 5000 and a great alignment. I guess the Tahoe weighs about 5500 pounds loaded and that makes for a bit more tire wear.

I wish that I had at least 4.11 gears on mine but I'm stuck with the 3.73's for now. At 60 MPH I'm doing about 1500 RPM but the 5.3 torque makes it seem just OK.

I have this ancient HPP Magazine from about 1989-1990,
They talked about tire advancements at the time.
Most tire wear occurs while braking.
And of course burnouts.

The 5.3 LS is like a modern 327 Iron SBC.
Performs very similar.

The All iron Vortech 350 in my Tahoe moves nice standing on the gas. Faster than the 350 TBI Suburban.
But I like that Truck too.

Low gears are nice at times yes Gunny.
The roads & terrain where your at would be helpfull having 4.10-4.30 gears.

The Tahoe has 31-spline axle shafts in the 8.5/8.6 ring gear diff.
The SS Impala has 28-spline axle shafts stock. Aftermarket upgrade shafts are 30-31 spline typical.
So No the Posi cases are not a direct bolt in swap.

I am planning on covering Limited Slip-Posi, Detroit Locker, Powertrax No Slip Lockers later today.
Just for the Truck 4X4 & SUV guys .

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes Heavy Duty Mud Terrain Tires like BF Goodrich are a good choice for many.
But some lack Cross cut tire sipes molded cut in.
The small channel tire sipes give superior light snow traction.
The Dry Fluff powder snow that occurs 20F down to -30F.
I found this out with the tires I put on my 1994 K1500 Suburban in 2012. Firestone Destination M/T P285 75R16 tires.
They have very aggressive tread pattern that works great in Deep snow 12" inches to 4' feet deep.
You slip at 1st 1/2 to 1 turn of the tires then they bite in Super Hard and launch you forward.
In light dry fluff snow the Suburban got loose sideways easy giving too much throttle.
So I left Mud Terrain tires off.
M/T tires are usually 8-10 ply tires. Excellent for Heavy Duty Towing Duties.
They do cost double or triple of other tires also.
I recall paying $950 for 4 new Firestone M/T tires with my discount. Full price would have been $1200.00.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I have the BFG Mud Terrain on my F250 Super Duty. They work pretty well in snow for me.
I really, really like the looks of a mud tire but they don't do well on ice or packed snow. Sometimes around here they'll close the roads heading up a mountain and only let you go if your tires have the mountain snowflake symbol. Then they tell you that you're on your own and if you screw up or get stuck there will be no help. I've had the Tahoe front bumper leaving marks in the snow before and that was a bit much.

Heading up the mountain in Parsons, WV the guard rails were under snow. I always wondered why they had 4 foot high reflectors every 20' or so outside the guard rails. That's so you can know where the road is. You can also put the driver's tires on the rumble strips in the center of the road and just feel your way up the mountain. Fun times. A drift knocked my driving light askew on several occasions. Old folk in hospice have to get their meds though.

.......but, I really want some mud tires. They look cool.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really, really like the looks of a mud tire but they don't do well on ice or packed snow. Sometimes around here they'll close the roads heading up a mountain and only let you go if your tires have the mountain snowflake symbol. Then they tell you that you're on your own and if you screw up or get stuck there will be no help. I've had the Tahoe front bumper leaving marks in the snow before and that was a bit much.

Heading up the mountain in Parsons, WV the guard rails were under snow. I always wondered why they had 4 foot high reflectors every 20' or so outside the guard rails. That's so you can know where the road is. You can also put the driver's tires on the rumble strips in the center of the road and just feel your way up the mountain. Fun times. A drift knocked my driving light askew on several occasions. Old folk in hospice have to get their meds though.

.......but, I really want some mud tires. They look cool.
I recall 1 Mud Terrain Tire that had decent reviews in all snow conditions & ice.
The Rubber blocks are so huge that its hard to Dynamic balance correct on a Hunter Wheel Balance machine.
I have found your better off Static Balance them on 1 single plane on balance machines.
Or use an old school oil window sight glass bubble balancer.
10 ounces off new is not uncommon on 33-44 inch tall M/T tires.
33 inch that is 285/75 series typical works nice slow driving when need be.
44 inch tall or bigger is on the Gas...drag race in the snow to bite hard and move forward my experience.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts