Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sometimes computers are set up with multiple ways to connect to a network. With a windows machine there is always the windows network utility and sometimes the manufacturer will include another utility such as intel pro-set. If you click on start/ connect to/ wireless network connection/ view wireless networks you can see if the Windows utility is active. If windows is not the primary network utility you will see a message in the box that says Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you see this message you need to find the utility that your computer is using to connect to the wireless network. Usually there is an icon in the lower right of the screen, if you hover over each one with the cursor you should be able to tell. If you right click on the icon you should see some details about your options to connect, disconnect or repair the connection. Give this a shot and see if it works. I am assuming you are running Windows XP.
ok i did that and it says no wireless networks were found in range

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
were the hell is this wireless switch they keep talking about?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
No, I've found that OS & other software network connection utility *wizards* are about useless ... they only work when a connection is *there* ... and you want to play with packets and flow & collisions & buffers as performance options ...

I still need all of the model numbers of your equipment as each one hosts different connections and reset variables ...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Some computers have a way to turn the wireless connection off and on. Usually the switch is on the side of the laptop or just below the screen.

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
WTH IS Atheros AR9285 wireless network

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
WTH IS Atheros AR9285 wireless network
That should be the network chip that's the architecture ... you could have only found that under device manager in system properties ... we don't need that for your purpose ... I need the model number of your netgear ..

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can also enable and disable the wireless card in the device manager utility. This is found by clicking start/My computer/View system information (under the system tasks option on the left). Another window will open. Click on the hardware tab at the top then click on device manager. You should see a line for Network adapters, click the + sign and another line of information will open. Make sure there is no yellow question mark or exclamation point on this line. If not the device is probably at least working ok so the issue is most likely with the network utility that communicates with the wireless router.

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am DONE, i will have someone look at this computer, hell its only 2 months old, it still under guarantee, thanks for all your help guys:thumbsup:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Change the channel on the router to 4 then reboot the router and the PC. Your problem should be solved.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Change the channel on the router to 4 then reboot the router and the PC. Your problem should be solved.
I think he's gonna need to call the cable provider and have them ping then reset from their end ...

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I think he's gonna need to call the cable provider and have them ping then reset from their end ...
The cable company isn't going to reset his wireless router. The internet is working on another laptop, this is an issue with the other laptop reading the signal. A change in channel and reboot more often than not cures the problem.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
The cable company isn't going to reset his wireless router. The internet is working on another laptop, this is an issue with the other laptop reading the signal. A change in channel and reboot more often than not cures the problem.
He needs to dis-connect the router ... hook the modem straight into the laptop and see if it works ... it it does, his router as I previously explained isn't taking to the modem ... he needs to get the router to talk to the modem ... this is always a bit complicated that sometimes requires hooking things up in correct sequence but usually only requires a reset ... in sequence ... now, some of the newer software wizards are quite effective because of the baffling of the end-user with all ths stuff ..

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Riiiight, the router isn't taking the modem for one laptop but it is for the other. :crazy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this issue come up with my laptop a few months ago. One day my laptop couldn't find the wireless signal, and no matter what I did nothing changed. I thought it was strange as for the past 2 years it had been picking up the signal fine. It turns out the wireless adapter in the laptop fried.

I cant say for sure that is what it is, but try plugging the laptop directly to the router using a cord, and if the internet works when connected via wire, then there is a good chance that its the adapter that went bad.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I am DONE, i will have someone look at this computer, hell its only 2 months old, it still under guarantee, thanks for all your help guys:thumbsup:
com'on

Dont bail yet.
That's no fun.
Tell the kids to put a fresh pair of panties on and share for a day so we can get this fixed...:D

System restore to a previous day.
That will get your settings back to a working point.
If that don't work, take the netbook to the nearest wifi hotspot besides yours to make sure it's not your router.
If it still dont work, then take it back.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
EeePC-wifi LED is the bottom right on the front of the computer. It glows blue when it is enabled. If it's not on, click Fn+F2 to re-enable it-the Fn key is on the bottom left, between Ctrl and Alt.

I don't think that's the problem though...mine doesn't have anything associated with the wifi that shows up when it's disabled.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
com'on

Dont bail yet.
That's no fun.
Tell the kids to put a fresh pair of panties on and share for a day so we can get this fixed...:D

System restore to a previous day.
That will get your settings back to a working point.
If that don't work, take the netbook to the nearest wifi hotspot besides yours to make sure it's not your router.
If it still dont work, then take it back.:thumbsup:
:laughing:

... I knew we were in trouble when he called it a ubs thingy ... :devil:

21 - 40 of 157 Posts