Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install some LEDs in my side vents and want to control them from a switch inside the cabin. As I don smoke nor allow smoking in my ride, i"d like to remove the cig lighter and replace it with the light switch.

Is this feasible..if it is wheere does the cig lighter wiring enter the cabin as I'd like to use the same routing for the LED wiring.

Any Info/Advice???

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
Before I modded my console with the NAV system, I had a small push button switch above and to the left of the lighter, about in the 11 o'clock position. It was a small switch. If you are running lights you might want to wire them through a relay. Now I still have the lighter but no ashtray and have three switches there. I kept the light socket for power for cell phones, etc As far as routing, the best place to go through the firewall is behind the glove box toward the battery. There is a bundle of wires there. Take a coat hanger and straighten it out and CAREFULLY ease it through from the firewall side. When you can feel it, hook onto it and pull the wire through.

Here you can see the switches

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm looking to install some LEDs in my side vents and want to control them from a switch inside the cabin. As I don smoke nor allow smoking in my ride, i"d like to remove the cig lighter and replace it with the light switch.

Is this feasible..if it is wheere does the cig lighter wiring enter the cabin as I'd like to use the same routing for the LED wiring.

Any Info/Advice???
I completly destroyed that area in my install, but it's quite possible to do this. If you're going to use LEDs, i reccomend using 18-22ga speaker wire to power the LEDs. (this way you can keep your pos/neg close and you can use the negative part of the cig lighter)

you might also want to consider cathodes instead of LEDs. The cathodes produce a more uniform glow whereas the LEDs have a spot pattern:

here's my cathodes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts