Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A woman crashed a replica Indy race car into a wall at a high rate of speed and died while taking part in the Mario Andretti Driving Experience at a Southern California motor speedway.

The San Bernardino County coroner's office says 24-year-old Ashley Phalen of Los Angeles was killed early Friday when her vehicle slammed into a wall and overturned at the Auto Club Motor Speedway in Fontana. She died at a nearby hospital.

Phalen was participating in what is described on andrettiracing.com as the "World's Fastest Racing Experience." The website says people can drive a race car with 600 horsepower for an eight-minute session and reach speeds up to 160 mph.

An after-hours phone message for the Andretti Driving Experience wasn't immediately returned.

:huh:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More News.......

A Los Angeles woman was killed Friday while participating in a simulated Indy race at the Auto Club Motor Speedway in Fontana.

Ashley Sara Phalen, 24, was participating in the Mario Andretti Racing Experience Driving 101 class that taught members of the public the basics of open wheel racing by allowing them to drive replica Indy racecars, according to the San Bernardino County coroner's office.

Phalen was driving at 9:30 a.m. when she sped into an inside wall and overturned. Authorities did not say how fast she was driving, but noted the racecars often reach speeds of up to 120 mph on the two-mile course.

Phalen was taken by ambulance to Kaiser Foundation Hospital in Fontana where she died upon arrival, coroner's officials said. Sheriff's officials and the California Highway Patrol are investigating the crash but did not have additional details Saturday.

Racing at the track was suspended Friday, but expected to resume today. The racing school was one of several regularly held at the track. Speedway spokesman David Talley said it was the first death at the track that he could recall in recent years.

"Our thoughts and prayers go to the family," Talley said. "Obviously we'll keep a keen eye on safety as these classes continue. Andretti has a great track record and so do the other schools. It's just an unfortunate thing."

Phalen had taken a class prior to entering the car and was in radio contact with instructors while driving, Talley said.

According to the Andretti website, participants can purchase packages to race ranging from $129 to $429 for "World's fastest racing experience." Helmeted drivers race in an open cockpit racecar at courses offered in Fontana and courses around the country.

"This is the ultimate thrill ride for any race fan! Experience 3 laps of pure heart-pounding speed from the seat of a full sized, 600 hp, 2 seat, Indy-style race car," the website says.

"Safety is the #1 priority at Mario Andretti Racing Experience. Participants will have an experience of a lifetime in a safe, controlled environment with our professionally trained crew."

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Pity about the death. It will be a damn shame if some asshat lawmaker proposes a bill to limit or stop these sorts of experiences.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Pity about the death. It will be a damn shame if some asshat lawmaker proposes a bill to limit or stop these sorts of experiences.
:agree:
You know the family will sue though. :spanked:

I did the Richard Petty Driving School a couple years ago and his Nascar stock cars hit those speeds too. I've got the certificate to prove it. :D I don't see how Andretti gets to advertise the fastest though? Chances are this chick didn't have the skills to be out there. Probably calling her BFF at the time to say, "Guess what I'm doing?". :nuts:

·
Registered
3 Posts
A woman crashed a replica Indy race car into a wall at a high rate of speed and died while taking part in the Mario Andretti Driving Experience at a Southern California motor speedway.

The San Bernardino County coroner's office says 24-year-old Ashley Phalen of Los Angeles was killed early Friday when her vehicle slammed into a wall and overturned at the Auto Club Motor Speedway in Fontana. She died at a nearby hospital.

Phalen was participating in what is described on andrettiracing.com as the "World's Fastest Racing Experience." The website says people can drive a race car with 600 horsepower for an eight-minute session and reach speeds up to 160 mph.

An after-hours phone message for the Andretti Driving Experience wasn't immediately returned.

:huh:
Oh men! That was horrible accident. Sympathy to those who are mourning.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Now that's cold... :lookinup:
agreed, but you have to think something like this was bound to happen. You can do these things without any experience, and despite the instruction received at the events many of them are really just an event where you pay a premium to play with something fast without regard to the fact there is the real possibility that you could kill yourself.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
agreed, but you have to think something like this was bound to happen. You can do these things without any experience, and despite the instruction received at the events many of them are really just an event where you pay a premium to play with something fast without regard to the fact there is the real possibility that you could kill yourself.
Yea, but these organizations go to extremes to ensure that something like that doesn't happen. You can bet that every place that does this is going to be reevaluating their procedures.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
This is very sad, but at least she was having fun. Better than falling in your shower and hitting your head, then languishing in a hospital bed on life support.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree, but the death was sudden and it takes a lot of time to come out from the shock for the family members because you're doing fun and if suddenly that kind of thing happens it is very hard to accept.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I agree, but the death was sudden and it takes a lot of time to come out from the shock for the family members because you're doing fun and if suddenly that kind of thing happens it is very hard to accept.
Welcome to the forum. You should go introduce yourself in the welcome forum. :buhbye:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
I bet.

Since this was your first post on DigitalCorvettes.com... can't help but wonder if you are related to the situation in some way?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hay Bud how be's you,Your right,already hearing rumblings about the family has retained counsel. I suspect there will be a law suite. She had half days training,but did sign a waver. We'll see if it holds water. Sad non the less,but expect ramifications to follow.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Time??? Shock!!!???? It only took the family less than 5 days to hire an attorney. :rolleyes: The participant signed pages and pages of waivers before driving the car. The family can go **** themselves IMO. :down:

I did the Petty Experience and we hit speeds up to 150+. The cars where geared for 160 tops. I had about 4 pages of waivers I signed prior to driving. If she didn't know what she was signing.....shame on her. If the family feels the need to blame the Andrettis or is looking for deep pockets then shame on them. This entire situation is pathetic. :down:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Time??? Shock!!!???? It only took the family less than 5 days to hire an attorney. :rolleyes: The participant signed pages and pages of waivers before driving the car. The family can go **** themselves IMO. :down:

I did the Petty Experience and we hit speeds up to 150+. The cars where geared for 160 tops. I had about 4 pages of waivers I signed prior to driving. If she didn't know what she was signing.....shame on her. If the family feels the need to blame the Andrettis or is looking for deep pockets then shame on them. This entire situation is pathetic. :down:
I do agree

1 - 20 of 21 Posts