Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well long story short i installed a msd opti, msd coil, msd plugwires, ngk plugs, waterpump on my 95 vette, any way like the title it wont rev or go over around 4k rpm, i am assuming it is knock retard. i am running 91 octang pump gas from chevron, could it be a vacum line or is it knock, after the msd opti it idles smooth as silk. any ideas what it could be??? any comments are welcom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some more info... it will rev up to 5k in park and neutal, but only 4k when i am driving around, it did get to 210 degrees and it started cutting out at a around 2.5k when it got that hot. (i live in tucson, az) i put a 160 degree thremostat in it but havnt retuned the ecu. also i went down to autozone cause the check engine light was on but he said the port was messed up but the a**hole cleared the codes anyway so i wasnt happy about that.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Sounds like a timing problem...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well It could be alot of things including all the fore mentioned above

Did you plug the maf sensor back in ?

Is your intake fully tighened back up ?

I mean this all happend since you replaced the opti,plugs, Etc: Etc: ?

I too think it may be a problem with your timing or you have a bad cat/ something in the wire harness is loose

Inspect the wire harness around the opti and the coil

Bon:nuts:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, it idles really smooth. revs up really quick, i am going to take it to a dealership to get them to scan it for the codes see what they say. cause i dont want to be guessing with parts. that gets way too expensive

·
Registered
964 Posts
ok, it idles really smooth. revs up really quick, i am going to take it to a dealership to get them to scan it for the codes see what they say. cause i dont want to be guessing with parts. that gets way too expensive
Change back the old coil. It sounds like it maybe a coil issue...do you possibly have a aftermarket tach tapped into the coil as well....or a shift light

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
could be a lot of things.

drop the exhaust to check for clogged converter.

put old opti on and see if that clears it up. make sure you hooked all connections back up.

ususally overheating is a timing issue, but also can be clogged converter but normally it will get really hot and sometimes glow.

watch your exhaust manifolds when it gets hot if they glow its more than likely timing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts