Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My o8 takes spells where it won't shift out of park. The button on the shifter won't depress. Usually after pumping the brake several times then it will depress. Any idea what the problem is.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
My o8 takes spells where it won't shift out of park. The button on the shifter won't depress. Usually after pumping the brake several times then it will depress. Any idea what the problem is.
Thanks in advance

This is most likely a failed / failing lockout solenoid in the shifter. To be sure you will need to make sure the brake lights come on when you step on the brake. This will verify the switch is working properly. If so, and the car starts and runs then you can deduce that all modules are communicating and all is happy and it is time to change this solenoid. Or unhook it from the shift lever and never be told you can not shift your car when you want to again. Even when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition. Personally I would track down the replacement part but either way will correct this problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is most likely a failed / failing lockout solenoid in the shifter. To be sure you will need to make sure the brake lights come on when you step on the brake. This will verify the switch is working properly. If so, and the car starts and runs then you can deduce that all modules are communicating and all is happy and it is time to change this solenoid. Or unhook it from the shift lever and never be told you can not shift your car when you want to again. Even when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition. Personally I would track down the replacement part but either way will correct this problem.
Where is the lockout solenoid located and how do I access it?

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Where is the lockout solenoid located and how do I access it?
We are a Corvette shop and so we like to sell the whole shifter assembly because a lot of times they come in with the shifter handle/knob also broken. But, I found this on youtube and it looks correct. Watch this:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts