Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day installing new DBA 5000 2-piece "Kangaroo Paw" rotors and pads. Tomorrow. the rears. Then, on Wednesday, new Nitto Invo's at all 4 corners.

C6 Bash, here I come.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a better pic. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Looking good!!

I'll be at the Bash on Saturday. I'll look for your car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be there!! Just put 4 Michelin PS2s on and I'm ready to go!

The Michelin's are great tires. I've heard that the Invo's are just as good, and 1/2 the costs, so I will know shortly if someone is trying to blow smoke up my arse.

One thing. The PS2's are strictly summer tires. Anything below 40 degrees F and you will need to be very careful. Very easy to break traction, even at speed, then, they will never recover.

When Michelin says extreme summer performance they ain't kiddin'.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Those Rotors look great - very "finished." Is that center piece anodized? Were they lighter than the stock casts?

I've had the Mich's PS2 run flats on for a couple of years. I hate them. They replaced the GY F1 SuperCars that came with my Z51. The GY treads seem to evaporate, barely hitting 11k miles. Every time I drove into the cement driveway, they left about $5 worth of rubber on the cement.

The very round sided Michs definately handle washboard roads and mid corner bumps with more alacrity than the GY, but the straightline hook up is not as good and the corners are no better.

Even though the Michs don't visibly "shed" like the GYs, it's looking like they won't last any longer than the GY.

Every time I reseach tires, however, the Michs seem to get the most praise. I've decided to give them one more chance. I'll be getting the NON-runflat PS2s next time around. Hope they impress more.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the Nitto Invo's mounted yesterday.

The shop made two attempts to get the tires mounted correctly and balanced, but with no success. The tires are very out of round, and have a "hop" when spinning. Not just one, but all four!! Road testing was simply uncomfortable, with vibration in the steering wheel, as well as the seat.

I am very disappointed. I will be call Discount Tire first thing this morning. I feel sure that will take care of the issue.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those Rotors look great - very "finished." Is that center piece anodized? Were they lighter than the stock casts?

I've had the Mich's PS2 run flats on for a couple of years. I hate them. They replaced the GY F1 SuperCars that came with my Z51. The GY treads seem to evaporate, barely hitting 11k miles. Every time I drove into the cement driveway, they left about $5 worth of rubber on the cement.

The very round sided Michs definately handle washboard roads and mid corner bumps with more alacrity than the GY, but the straightline hook up is not as good and the corners are no better.

Even though the Michs don't visibly "shed" like the GYs, it's looking like they won't last any longer than the GY.

Every time I reseach tires, however, the Michs seem to get the most praise. I've decided to give them one more chance. I'll be getting the NON-runflat PS2s next time around. Hope they impress more.
I got 30k miles on my PS2's, and was extremely pleased with them. I tried the Nitto Invo's because I was told they were as good as the Michelin's, at half the price. But, after mounting the Invo's yesterday, I may be going back to the Michelin's.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Were you running the run flat PS2s?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Discount Tire is taking the Nitto Invo's back, no questions asked, which makes me believe this was not a new issue with these tires!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
No, regular PS2's.
From the feedback I've been able to gather there must be a big difference between the regular PS2s and the run flats. Everyone who has had the regular PS2s likes them and the run flat feedback is mixed, but mostly:down:

If I can get 30k out of the non runflat PS2, with better handling charateristics than the run flats, I'll be happy with them.

Do I have to stop taking street corners at 50+MPH? :devil:

·
Registered
287 Posts
From all the professional reviews i have seen the PS2 non-run flats are one of the best tires made for every day use. I haven't read a bad review on the tire other than the price. Car and Driver did a big review on several different types of tires a while back. The PS2's came out as the best performer but the tread wear and price held it back.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
From all the professional reviews i have seen the PS2 non-run flats are one of the best tires made for every day use. I haven't read a bad review on the tire other than the price. Car and Driver did a big review on several different types of tires a while back. The PS2's came out as the best performer but the tread wear and price held it back.
Yep, I recall that article. If I remember correctly, they weren't able to test the PS2 run flats, but as you say, the PS2 non-run flats pretty much killed.

Do you remember if they tested the second gen GY F1 supertires? ...or only the first gen? Probably wouldn't be that different, but would like to know.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I went from the OE runcraps to the PS2's. Best ride and handling mod ever!
I just do not understand why the cost so damn much?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts