Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so it seems that I have a leak somewhere in one of my tires... I really don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to. I don't race my car or do any overly high speed driving like some of you do (only had it up to 100 once...usually keep it below 80). I have seen conflicting things on the internet regarding whether you can patch, patch/plug, etc. the Goodyear Runflats. I trust you guys so I would love to get your opinions on whether I can get by with a patch or whether I am staring down a new tire. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Take it to a certified run flat fixer shop. The GoodYear website lists the authorized repair shops nearest to you.

Don't bother buying a new tire.

The issues are surrounding the plug, nobody disagrees that a flat can fixed.

For me inner vulcanization is the only acceptable long term process. A plug is the emergency solution on the highway.

a++ Cedric

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a nail in my runflat tread area. I pulled out the nail and installed a plug. Haven't had a problem with it for over 3 years. The tire is designed to run with zero pressure so I don't see the problem with a plug. I would rather have a plug in a runflat then in a non runflat tire. A plug works for me but I know it's not the repair the dealers will do.

·
Registered
597 Posts
the plugs are the ones that last a long time. patches are only supposed to last 50? miles or so.

it depends on where the tire is leaking from. if its on the side of the tire or too close to the side of the tire on the tread it most likely cant be fixed.

if it is in the middle of the tread or so you can just go get it plugged and you will be good to go.

it can also be leaking from the bead. which can also be fixed by just taking it to a tire shop, they just have to break it down and use bead sealer on it.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Would and Have.

The GYRFs can be patched (by a professional shop done correctly) up to 3 times each if 90-deg+ apart, plus other requirements. Michelin AS-ZPs only allow a single puncture before replacement.

I had one GYRF that I had 3 punctures repaired and never had any problems.

Never had any experience with emergency "plugs" - always had mine plugged and patched from the inside by Discount Tire. Had 8 RFs/ZPs patched so far - never had a problem.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
There are no issues with patches. I have used plugs many times in the past without hesitation however I wouldn't use a plug on a high speed tire like that simply because failure is not an option.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I had two new Michelins installed on the front of my car last week by Discount Tire. After all of the horror stories I had heard about shops not knowing how to lift a C6 and not knowing how to deal with TPMS, I quizzed the salesman to make sure whoever did it knew what they were doing. He showed me the plastic attachments they had specifically for C6's and assured me they knew what they were doing. He was right. The installers clearly knew the ins and outs of dealing with the C6. I obviously can't speak for every Discout Tire center, but it was nice to see guys who knew what they were doing. I think these guys would also know the facts about fixing runflats. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
I had two new Michelins installed on the front of my car last week by Discount Tire. After all of the horror stories I had heard about shops not knowing how to lift a C6
Corvettes are pretty strong if you ask me, as long as you open the doors to accommodate for the flex in the body:

That's just me,

Cedric

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I had a nail in my runflat tread area. I pulled out the nail and installed a plug. Haven't had a problem with it for over 3 years. The tire is designed to run with zero pressure so I don't see the problem with a plug. I would rather have a plug in a runflat then in a non runflat tire. A plug works for me but I know it's not the repair the dealers will do.
:agree: Same thing happened to me 6 months after I purchaed my 2004 new. I moved into a new housing development and picked up a nail in my rear passenger run flat. Sensor informed me of the leak and I had a Goodyear Tire center plug the tire. Worked fine until I swapped them for new wheels and non-run flats. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
The biggest issue with repairing a spped rated tire (runflat or not) is it negates the speed rating. I think it is the tire manufacturers way of 'reducing liabilities' in case of a lawsuit. I have put many miles on 'repaired' tires with no problems-runflat and standard.

·
Registered
230 Posts
ive plugged alot of tires in the past including the z06 gy f1 runflat i have on my car...

I would personally avoid burnouts other than that i dont see the problem

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had two new Michelins installed on the front of my car last week by Discount Tire. After all of the horror stories I had heard about shops not knowing how to lift a C6 and not knowing how to deal with TPMS, I quizzed the salesman to make sure whoever did it knew what they were doing. He showed me the plastic attachments they had specifically for C6's and assured me they knew what they were doing. He was right. The installers clearly knew the ins and outs of dealing with the C6. I obviously can't speak for every Discout Tire center, but it was nice to see guys who knew what they were doing. I think these guys would also know the facts about fixing runflats. Good luck!:thumbsup:
One thing to add that I do when having new tires installed is have the manager look at all four of my tire pressure reading to show him all of my sensors all working. If there is a problem after the tires are installed you have a good chance of getting a sensor replaced that they damaged.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are the best!! That is what I wanted to hear... I have both a Goodyear place and a Discount Tire near me so I will check them out. I appreciate all the advice!! :cheers:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Corvettes are pretty strong if you ask me, as long as you open the doors to accommodate for the flex in the body:

That's just me,

Cedric
The body flex "rumor" originates from the C4s, for an example of the chassis flex in that model see the current issue of HOTROD. And weep for the '85 that gave its life for Frieburger's twisted curiosity.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The body flex "rumor" originates from the C4s, for an example of the chassis flex in that model see the current issue of HOTROD. And weep for the '85 that gave its life for Frieburger's twisted curiosity.
I was under the impression the body flex issue started with the C3 and you had to open all of the doors and hood n such to avoid the body cracking.

I could be wrong but i thought i read that somewhere

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Chill, it's humor, I knew I should have put a smiley. Look at the car dude, is this how you jack your car :smack

I was making fun of the people who think they should open the door when jacking. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Chill, it's humor, I knew I should have put a smiley. Look at the car dude, is this how you jack your car :smack

I was making fun of the people who think they should open the door when jacking. :thumbsup:

I knew that, but there is truth to that in the C4s, especially the early ones, if you jacked one corner up it was very possible that you could crack the fiberglass in the hood or door due to flex in the frame.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got it fixed...the said that the tire was in great shape other than the giant screw that seemed to have found it's way into my tread. They patched it and also pulled a plug out and patched a hole from the previous owner... I haven't driven the car yet but when I turned on the ignition, it said that the tire was flat. Is it just a matter of waiting for the car to "re-learn" the sensor? I watched the place remove the tire so I know they were careful with the sensor...

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
I have with no problems,if you have a slow leak more often than not it's the valve stem, run some soapy water around it and check for bubbles,also check the valve core if it's loose it will leak down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts