Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a paint job is just out of the question I'm thinking of wrapping her. Any thoughts, ideas..There's not much on the web concerning wrapping a c4, really haven't seen anything. Wondering how a full carbon fiber wrap would look...not into the mural thing..any idea would be appreciated, pics, etc. Its a 92 polo green vert with black wheels.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If I was going to do it I would choose between one of these two!:laughing:

But seriously, its a good idea.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I found this, its not a Vette but looks real good. And you can always go back to your original color no sweat. Although with the prices Ive found Im not sure its any cheaper than a paint job.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
There are a lot of wrap businesses around, may wanna try a race wrap place for the money. I would be concerned with air bubbles and getting water trapped under the wrap.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
This one for sure.:laughing:

Wrapping your car is a good idea. I have a buddy that has his company wrapped on his truck. Don't worry about water or air bubbles as it's like window tint. Niether get under those if applied properly. The wrap he did was warrantied for 12 months against anything but damage. It will wear out and they tell you that up front but he did a pretty graphic extensive wrap and it was only $1,100.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would think Paint would be less than a wrap??? :huh:

I like the aluminum.

·
Registered
287 Posts
why not just use an invisible bra by 3m they have pieces for all over the car. I have had mine on my car for over a year now and haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clear coat is falling off all over the place..it looks like ****!!! I'm too old to drive around in a shitty looking car..and I don't want to dump 7K into a paint job..its just not worth it..and I can't get rid of it..cause it looks like ****...so......

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes..the saran wrap was nice...
Remember, I also included some Aluminum Foil as well!

Honestly, I think wrapping your car is a good idea. And if I were going to do it I would choose a solid color. Having never met you before I dont know what your likes and dislikes are, but I thought the Porsche was at least on the right track. I personally have always liked the Corvette Challenge paint schemes, perhaps you could try one of those. Very distinctive and unique.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The wrap is a decent alternative. I'd highly recommend getting a car cover to protect the vinyl. Most vinyl will only last about 5 years uncovered. The good carbon vinyl (3m di-noc) doesn't come in sizes to cover our HUGE hood. You'll have to go with a flat carbon print or a solid color, which I would go with the latter. For a solid color installed, you should be looking at around $2,750 - $3,500. Don't plan on winning any car shows with a wrap though. There are typically some imperfections, like tiny bubbles, and scrape marks from install, unless of course you get a very good installer that takes their time...but there will probably still be some, but I bet much less than most imperfections that a cheap paint job would have.

If there are any imperfections in the paint, like scratches and the like, they may show up depending on the thickness of the wrap. So if your clearcoat is peeling, those areas will most likely show through if not sanded smooth beforehand. I'd stop by a few sign shops and see who's doing a lot of installs and want they have to say about the condition of your car to install on.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Look up on the web a guy who painted his charger and vw himself...

with a roller!
look up $50 paint job and rollyourcar.com i think.

It would take a long time but looks very good considering the cost!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Color sand, rubbing compound and buff with a good polish. I had the same clear coat pealing prob all over hood top and back. 6 mo. later and still looks great.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Color sand, rubbing compound and buff with a good polish. I had the same clear coat pealing prob all over hood top and back. 6 mo. later and still looks great.

That's exactly what mine is doing. Have thought about color sanding but figured I'd be wasting my time. It can't get any worse, I'll have to give it a shot on my hood. Thanks. :partyon:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts