Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone here follow the SCCA Runoffs this year? Mike McGinley of Superior Chevrolet was position 6 in T1 at the start of the race and got dinged up in a big wreck right after the green flag. Tough way to end a season...

Mike's car is the blue #50 in the vid:

Looks like the guy in the white C6 wasn't paying attention to the flag and the Viper behind him wasn't expecting it.

Better luck next year, fellas!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
F'k'n Viper drivers

I see this happen all the time in Los Angeles

:nuts:

Bon

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what a mess :thud:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts

·
Supporting Dealer
307 Posts
Yeah, it was unfortunate for everyone involved, because everyone spends so much time and money, and invests so much emotion into those races. It was just one of those things that happens in racing, though, that Heinricy's transmission blew.

It didn't look like a hard hit for Mike, but it actually tore the ECM out of the car. They had a spare, but couldn't get it working correctly in time for the restart of the race.

K. Andrew Serum
Marketing Manager
Superior Chevrolet
www.chevyusa.com

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Yikes! That's almost as bad as the start of this year's F1 Japanese Grand Prix. 5 DNFs on lap 1.

·
Registered
362 Posts
in car from the Viper imho paints a slightly different picture of what started it. Now imagine yourself driving that car without knowing the vette in front is going to slow on the start.

Wild ride!

Looks like the guy in the white 6 six wasn't paying attention to the flag and the Viper behind him wasn't expecting it.
P.S. The vette broke. Trans or rearend, not sure. Either way, he was no longer putting power to the wheels. Didn't have anything to do with him "paying attention to the flag"

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
P.S. The vette broke. Trans or rearend, not sure. Either way, he was no longer putting power to the wheels. Didn't have anything to do with him "paying attention to the flag"
didn't know that until MrVette83 pointed it out a few posts ago. That statement was made only as an observation based on the few vids I watched. Good to have the rest of the story :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The White vette was the Hennesey ZR700 Vette.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Yeah, it was unfortunate for everyone involved, because everyone spends so much time and money, and invests so much emotion into those races. It was just one of those things that happens in racing, though, that Heinricy's transmission blew.

It didn't look like a hard hit for Mike, but it actually tore the ECM out of the car. They had a spare, but couldn't get it working correctly in time for the restart of the race.

K. Andrew Serum
Marketing Manager
Superior Chevrolet
www.chevyusa.com
Andrew tell Mike My heart skiped a beat when I saw this. Glad he's ok bummer about the car, but thats race'n.

Ivan.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I don't think so on this one. That was SCCA T1 class.

Jr.
Your right this one was built by Phoenix Performance with their IsoTorque differential.

John Heinricy’s SCCA T1 Grand Sport Corvette
by Keith Cornett on September 25, 2010

GM’s Former Director of High Performance John Heinricy will be racing the Isotorque Phoenix Performance Corvette Grand Sport at the SCCA’s National Championship Runoffs at Road America this Sunday. Heinricy is six for seven in class wins when racing Corvettes at the Runoffs and owns 11 overall Runoff wins, the most of all active SCCA drivers.

National Champion Scott Tucker will be defending his T1 title with a Ferrari while 2009 third place finisher John Buttermore trades his Corvette in for a Dodge Viper.

The LS3 equipped Grand Sport Corvette Coupe was built by Phoenix Performance LLC of Phoenixville, Pa. Heinricy won the T1 class at the Runoffs tune-up weekend during Road America’s June Sprints weekend.

The SCCA’s National Championship Runoffs will be held Sunday morning on Road America’s 4.045-mile road course circuit. The T1 class will race at 9:30 am ET with live the race shown online at www.SPEED.com.

Since retiring from GM in 2008, Heinricy has remained busy, consulting with Torvec, in Rochester, N.Y., helping the company develop the IsoTorque differential. He also serves as a test driver for Hennessey Performance in Sealy, TX.

Update:
Heinricy started second place but experienced transmission trouble just as the race went green. Competitors were forced to take evasive action to avoid him and seven cars were involved in a crash that red flagged the race. Heinricy was unable to complete a lap and earned a DNF.

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
Your right this one was built by Phoenix Performance with their IsoTorque differential.

John Heinricy’s SCCA T1 Grand Sport Corvette
by Keith Cornett on September 25, 2010

GM’s Former Director of High Performance John Heinricy will be racing the Isotorque Phoenix Performance Corvette Grand Sport at the SCCA’s National Championship Runoffs at Road America this Sunday. Heinricy is six for seven in class wins when racing Corvettes at the Runoffs and owns 11 overall Runoff wins, the most of all active SCCA drivers.

National Champion Scott Tucker will be defending his T1 title with a Ferrari while 2009 third place finisher John Buttermore trades his Corvette in for a Dodge Viper.

The LS3 equipped Grand Sport Corvette Coupe was built by Phoenix Performance LLC of Phoenixville, Pa. Heinricy won the T1 class at the Runoffs tune-up weekend during Road America’s June Sprints weekend.

The SCCA’s National Championship Runoffs will be held Sunday morning on Road America’s 4.045-mile road course circuit. The T1 class will race at 9:30 am ET with live the race shown online at www.SPEED.com.

Since retiring from GM in 2008, Heinricy has remained busy, consulting with Torvec, in Rochester, N.Y., helping the company develop the IsoTorque differential. He also serves as a test driver for Hennessey Performance in Sealy, TX.

Update:
Heinricy started second place but experienced transmission trouble just as the race went green. Competitors were forced to take evasive action to avoid him and seven cars were involved in a crash that red flagged the race. Heinricy was unable to complete a lap and earned a DNF.
I'm doing T1 next year. I passed my 2 day SCCA racing school yesterday. :partyon:

Jr.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I'm doing T1 next year. I passed my 2 day SCCA racing school yesterday. :partyon:

Jr.
Cool:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts