Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by Mike's today and took some pictures. The deck lid is off as is most of the left quarter. We decided to replace the right quarter also due to some previous repairs (I'll pay for that, not insurance).

A surprise was found when the deck lid was removed. I've always had a lot of road noise in this car. I also noticed an exhaust smell when sitting in traffic. Turns out the factory skipped on the bonding adhesive between the cargo tub and deck lid. There's a 1/2" by 2 ft gap on both sides between the wheel well and the interior! Notice how you can see the ground between the tub and the fender!

So repairs are progressing nicely. Big thanks to Mike (tracdogg2) for the good work.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Man, sorry your car got whacked. Keep us updated

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank was custom made by a friend in Europe. Its all aluminum with internal baffles and a sump to work with fuel injection.

Rock valley can build you one similar to this but they're quite expensive, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Turns out the factory skipped on the bonding adhesive between the cargo tub and deck lid. There's a 1/2" by 2 ft gap on both sides between the wheel well and the interior! Notice how you can see the ground between the tub and the fender!
:laughing:

One of my jobs while working at GM dealers in the '80s was warranty - wind noise,
rattles, & water leaks on all makes of Chevys............:( Man....I hated that job.

You would be totally amazed at the stuff they missed on the assembly line.
But there thinking is............fix it when it gets to the dealer.........we're not
stopping this line for nothing.

Well at least you found the problem and can take care of it.
Go to show good things can come from bad situations. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Fuel tanks are not all THAT complicated to weld....new that is....

a buddy of mine fabbed up a tank for a dual 305 chebby 28' Chris craft ...held 150?250? gallons, it was pretty good size.....with internal braces/baffels, the whole 9 yards...did it in his garage, outta diamonplate as I recall...aluminum.....that thing worked fine....

Course he is a pro union welder who knows a stick from a mig from a tig....

ME, I not so sure .....my welds MAY or may NOT hold...

:cheers:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Well, welding one up using aluminium is not as easy as it sounds, especially if the welds need to be leak free and appealing to the eye also. It gets very expensive for a reason. Welding alu using tig is a teadeous and slow process. Now if you know someone who has a nice pulsemig, yes then you can zap the thing together pretty quickly.

Zwede, your car is looking more and more like mine ;) good thing you are outsourcing it, the "while I'm at it"-itis can get to you very quickly in a situation like that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow, I guess this is the first I'd heard that your car had been in an accident. Looks like things are progressing well. I don't go into Dallas much, but I find my nerves are shot when I get home......the drivers seem insane. Good to know Mike is nearby just in case anything happens to my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tank was custom made by a friend in Europe. Its all aluminum with internal baffles and a sump to work with fuel injection.

Rock valley can build you one similar to this but they're quite expensive, unfortunately.
That is a cool tank, Would be nice if someone mass produced and put on market.. I would get one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
:WTF First I have heard of it also Zwede. How did it happen? Someone tap you while talkin on a cell phone? or are you taking up Drift racing? :D Doesn't appear to be hit real hard so mostly fiberglass I guess? Keep us updated

Bullshark

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bullshark: I was stopped at a light with cars in front and behind. Light turns green and just as I start rolling the car behind me floors it.

Here's what it looked like:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Zwede,
I know your gas tank is not too much bigger than the stock, but was there any concern about it being pushed into the car or damaged due to the reduced clearances to the body when you got hit? Do you run a full size spare? It looks like it, but kinda hard to tell for sure. Did that help at all to absorb impact?

That's a real bummer, man.

John

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Bullshark: I was stopped at a light with cars in front and behind. Light turns green and just as I start rolling the car behind me floors it.

Here's what it looked like:

Looks like an easy to do bubba fix :laughing:

Sucks that your car got hit though. :WTF

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Zwede,
I know your gas tank is not too much bigger than the stock, but was there any concern about it being pushed into the car or damaged due to the reduced clearances to the body when you got hit? Do you run a full size spare? It looks like it, but kinda hard to tell for sure. Did that help at all to absorb impact?

That's a real bummer, man.

John
Not a scratch on the tank. The bumper bracket pushed the cross member forward which tilted the tank a bit, but didn't damage it. You can see that the left tank strap was loose after the crash.

The spare tire carrier was not impacted. The force was absorbed by (mostly) the left bumper. The bumper brackets look like pretzels.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:agree:

I assume the insurance is not going by blue book value ?? Hope they don't give you any problems... :cheers:
No problems with her insurance company (Hartford). They were very efficient and I had the check 1.5 weeks after the wreck.

The used car price guides have been hit by barrett jackson also. I checked the value of my car at NADA and they list it at $58K!!! :surprised

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
No problems with her insurance company (Hartford). They were very efficient and I had the check 1.5 weeks after the wreck.

The used car price guides have been hit by barrett jackson also. I checked the value of my car at NADA and they list it at $58K!!! :surprised
They list mine at 37k low retail, 65k average retail and 95k high retail.:rolling:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

That's good news... at least some insurance companies are ok....

NADA lists my '79 at $25K (high retail).... wow.....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts