Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two nights ago a dumb asshole came across 2 lanes of traffic and broadsided my 2007 coupe as I moving forward in a turn lane (suicide lane). The initial impact was at the passenger side front wheel. As I continued moving forwards, the door is crushed in and his car then clipped the rear wheel and I spun into oncoming traffic, but luckily for me there was no oncoming traffic. The asshole was charged in the accident. I am going through my insurance company, State Farm, who will then get the money from the other insurance company. I am doing this with hopes that State Farm would be motivated to repair my car correctly, and not try to screw me like the other company will. I got the repair estimate today, the whole passenger side of the car body is going to be replaced, along with various suspension pieces. Note the gashes on the wheel surface and the angle of the rear wheel and fiberglass between the tire and rim.

My problem is that State Farm wants to re-use my rims, which were both hit by the other car, along with re-using my tires, which both sat flat or with low air for 3 days. I want the rims replaced with new parts, and all 4 tires replaced as the tread existing tires have about 15000 miles on them and I do NOT want unmatched tires. I believe my request to be completely resonable, given this is a high performance automobile. Any advice would be welcome on how to get the repairs completed properly would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
From my experience with State Farm on this type of vehicle, be polite and yet firm. Ask them if you have a replacement cost policy, which is what State Farm offers on such vehicles. Then ask if your rims were scratched, scuffed and chunks missing out of them prior to the accident. If not, then they are on the hook to replace said rims. They are also required to replace all parts with OEM parts. They will attempt to replace them with OEM spec parts which is radically different and at a much less cost to them! Never accept this!

Regarding the tires, this will be a compromise. They will not replace 4 tires. They will compensate you for tread left on damaged tires or put money toward the purchase of like tire. You did have some wear on the tire, so they will not feel obligated to replace a tire with 60% tread left if you have used 40% of the tire. They will give you 60% of the cost toward a new tire since you have already used 40% of the tire already. If 2 tires were not damaged, then your policy will not cover replacement of the others UNLESS you can get a AUTHORIZED dealer to say that the mismatched thread depth will harm the suspension of your finely crafted sports car. Having a friend or two in the business would help. This will be a difficult issue and my best guess is that you will pay for 2 and they will pay for 2 in the end.

I wish you the best of luck and I'm sorry to hear you baby is damaged! Maybe it time to upgrade to a Z?

·
Registered
230 Posts
wow ...glad your ok man !

I had an insurance company try to screw me a few years back...

Got into a really bad accident with an infiniti i30t I had.

The insurance company wanted to fix it (with non OEM parts)

like **** parts.

I bugged out and said that was not right and that the estimate should be done with all original OEM replacement parts... well the cost added up to more than the car so they totaled it and gave me my check

·
Registered
842 Posts
good luck with state farm they ****ed me hard asshole ran a red lite & t boned my wife & daughter they supposedly fixed my truck but I think its worse now than before accident they will not respond to letters or phone calls best part the frame machine broke when trying to fix frame & this delayed the repair for a week & i was told by the local police state farm issued an arrest warrent on me for stealing their rent a car I have been fighting this since Jan.31 2011 hope you have better luck with state ****ed than me & when this is over find another carrier

·
Registered
230 Posts
good luck with state farm they ****ed me hard asshole ran a red lite & t boned my wife & daughter they supposedly fixed my truck but I think its worse now than before accident they will not respond to letters or phone calls best part the frame machine broke when trying to fix frame & this delayed the repair for a week & i was told by the local police state farm issued an arrest warrent on me for stealing their rent a car I have been fighting this since Jan.31 2011 hope you have better luck with state ****ed than me & when this is over find another carrier
wow that is rough.

I had GMAC insurance which rolled into High Point on me and my families cars.

They are an awesome company.

I have progressive on my bike who also seem to be a great company

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've dealt with State Farm on a Lexus and on a Vette. The Lexus was totaled (head on - with a driver with no license and no insurance) and there was medical bills and a month off work because of the accident. The Vette had $1000 of damage. I will take the biggest claim the Lexus as the example.

They have paid medical bills within 30 days. They have paid lost wages (80% per policy) for the month with out work. They paid a fair (not what I wanted and not what they wanted) price for the Lexus to total it. (Replacement value) All I paid was my $500 even though I was not at fault and was not ticketed because the other party did not have insurance.

They are now suing the other party for me on my behalf to recoup their costs, my deductible, my other 20% of wages and other costs like lawyer fees. When they win their case and they garnish this person's wages, a percentage will go to each of the areas until each area is paid in full or until the judgment is fulfilled.

These are benefits that State Farm are providing me. Did my rate jump? It went up $20 a month, but my car is also much newer so it was expected.

Has State Farm screwed others? Yep, I bet they have, but I have found that being polite and firm gave me positive and fair results. Did I get everything I wanted and expected? No, but I felt they were reasonable and fair. I did not get blue moon, but I kept careful records of everything, talked to the same individuals and kept the communication flowing frequently.

Hope you have a similar experience in a difficult situation.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a call to the StateFarm office, spoke the agent/owner. Explained the situation on the rims and tires. Explained the rims had to be bent, and had gashes all over them, and the initial impact was on the front wheel. He agreed it was in their best interest to replace the wheels. I need to send pictures of the tires being flat or low on air and he told me those will be replaced as well. I will update after the final decision is made. At this point it looks like they will come through. Thanks to all for your input :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
NO NO NO not that blue beauty!!!!:down:

So sorry to hear about your accident, but like everyone said glad your O.K.:thumbsup: Hope they repair your Vette to your satisfaction, just don't accept it back until it is.;)

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I honestly think that 1/2 the problem people have with insurance companies (their own) has to do with not keeping the agent updated on changes to the car and your attitude when dealing with them. They are all independent agents and quite often will bend over backwards for you IF you give them reason too.

I have a pretty good relationship with my agent, and as such have never had a problem. They have even worked to get stuff covered that probably shouldnt have- front end repainted because of rock chips, both complete headlight assys instead of just the covers, ect. Hell, even got the agent to include the new engine as well as all the other goodies i have in the car in my policy.

sucks it happened to ya, but im glad you are being taken care of.

·
Registered
649 Posts
That sucks.. good you’re alright!! I have State Farm.. They have been pretty good over the years with me.. Just remember, if your agent is not getting it done, just tell him you’re calling the headquarters and negotiate with them. I have done that with them… Good Luck….

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh! Kick in the balls. After the 2007 getting broadsided on Tuesday...I just picked up the 1977 from the shop after getting the A/C fixed, power steering pump replaced and rear brakes done. Red fluid spot on the garage floor. Power steering still leaks! AND the paint on the urethane front bumper is spider web cracked! Someone ran into something while the car was in the shop for 2 weeks! DAMMIT!

Called the shop owner (who is a good friend) and all will be fixed. But still a kick in the balls. What a shitty ****ing week.

(rant over)

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
look on the bright side, now you can get a 2012 GS

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealer has a red ZR1, I like that the most! Too bad I can't afford the $80k difference in price!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't sign anything until your certain things are correct

Man that sucks.

Don't know what state you live in but went through dealing with other guys insurance company when one of my son's got T-Boned and other guy responsible. The other guys insurance was Metropolitan and I they wanted me to sign a document stating I was whole and they were off the hook. I didn't sign it until about 6 months after the accident when I was 100% sure all my issues were resolved.

I'm assuming that Texas law requires such a document or perhaps it's Metropolitan's policy. Given the damage you might want to consult with an attorney. I'm thinking with the other guy having issurance and fault confirmed by local cops, your State Farm doesn't really have a dog in the hunt.

Been about 20 years since I was licensed to sell car insurance and sure laws have changed and my license wasn't for Texas but if you don't get what you think is fair, having an attorney already involved may save you a ton of time and money if you do have to go to court. I doubt State Farm will take them to court for you.

Got any legal friends you can get some cheap advise?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm doing the repair thru state farm because I thought they would be less likely to try to screw me and more likely to repair the car correctly, since they will subrogate the claim to the other company. I will have to directly deal with the other insurance co for a few dr visits and muscle relaxant co-pays i have to make.

I do have a few attorney friends/clients who I can call if it gets to that point. Hopefully it won't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A couple of other Things to Think About

Keep in mind a CarFax record is going to generated and when you go to sell or trade the car the value will take a ding. That's money they owe you as well, and they might fight you on that as well as try and wait you out to try and get you to accept the cheap non-chevy parts.

I don't know how you determine the vaule on the CarFax ding but a quick consultation with an attorney can't cost you more than the devalued resale value. The longer you plan to keep the car the less the CarFax ding will cost you but if you normally replace l every 5 - 7 years, I've got to think the devaluation would be a couple of thousand.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my understanding on depreciation on cars in Georgia is that once you have been issued a check for depreciation that the car is no longer elligible for depr. I spun on some ice 4 yrs ago hit a curb which bent the rim and cracked the rear quarter panel. State Farm sent me a check for depreciation, I did not ask for it or even know about the policy. I agree this would be a much larger depr event than the previous. Does anyone know GA law and if a car can be depreciated more than once? THanks! I don't plan on ever selling the car, but I can't argue with being duly compensated for diminished value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
State Farm is actually good to deal with. We had a similar situation with the wife's car with "requiring" non-OEM parts and cutting corners on replacement items. As I pushed the issue, I learned it was the other persons insurance company that was behind the requests. My body shop suggested that I indicate to State Farm that I wanted to process the claim on "my" insurance even though it was not my fault. This made things move very quickly, removed the question of OEM versus other and in the end it was still processed on the other drivers insurance. The difference in part costs was something the companies negotiated after the work was underway. In fact, it was sorted out before the car was done. So just be firm and insist what "your" policy entitles you to.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Keep in mind some non-OEM parts may actually be from the vendor that makes the original parts for GM. It just does't go thru GM, they just buy direct from the vendor.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spoke with the agent and insisted all OEM GM parts to be used. Nothing reproduction or used/junkyard, with everything itemized on the invoice. THanks to all for your replies. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts