Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help. Anyone know what size wrench to remove drain plug on auto transmission? Or know thread size on bolt that goes into pan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you have a drain plug on your trans pan?? C5 Corvettes only have a fill plug on the side of the pan. No drain plug. Did my oil about 2 months ago, and really dont remember the size of the head. Just crawl under there and try some box end wrenches until you find one that fits. Dont take out the plug until you read up on how to fill a trans that has no dip stick. Its a little involved, but not that hard. One of those Harbor Freight hand pumps works really well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Unless you really know what and how to do it don't...Period!

Trannies aren't required to be serviced until 100,000 miles so if something is going on take it to a shop (stay the devil away from a dealership).

Drive around and check the temperature if it's way hot then you've got a good indicator of trouble.

Servicing the transmission requires the car to be in the air, running and hot, you will get burned no if's and''s or but's, either by the oil, exhaust pipe or both. Been there done that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I changed mine a little over a year ago and it not that big of a deal. To do it right you need to drop the pan and change the filter also, and that gets a little bit messy. The fill plug should be 15mm there is no drain plug and if you remove the fill plug with the car not running you are going to loose fluid. Remember before you start google is your friend read a lot and do it right. :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts