Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I am getting ready to put an 85 Vette back together with a 4 bolt 383 (350 block/400 crank), 2.02/1.60 ported decked heads, crane 20/50 compucam...etc. etc.

I know Grumpy feels the stealthram is best. I have used a miniram on my last C4 and loved it---but had nothing to compare it to.

This 85 project must be done on budget!!!!!!!!!!!!! I owned this car from 89-97, then sold it. I built this motor in 94, and back then it needed more intake (ran 13 flat the quarter with stock intake, and t/b @ 104 on street tires, pump gas, etc). It ran the 60 foot in 1.8, and 1/8 in 7. something, but choked in the end of the 1/4 because the L98 would not let it rev.

Here is the deal...I can get a LT1 manifold pretty cheap (free) and perform the mods as noted in www.lt1intake.com very cheap. The conversion should give the 383 the flow it needs to break the 12s--and my thought is doing it under $500 total (including putting the engine back together.

Has anybody else done this?

Thanks,

www.mcspeed.com

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-=Jeff=- said:
Hey Chris,

I would search for a used Miniram.. Not sure how well the LT1 intake actually works
Where would you look for a used miniram?

I bought a "garage sell" miniram from TPIS for my 90 at about $600. That is still too much for my projected budget.

Popular Hotrodding did an excellent article on the LT1 conversion. They had a 400 block with a 350 crank (377 or something cid).

It was in a 88 convertible camaro. They had and accel super ram on the car. It ended up making more peak hp, and a longer torque curve than the super ram. They wrapped up the conversion for about $300. It looked pretty smooth too.

I think the miniram is very much like the LT1, but don't know for sure the difference.

So....anybody got a cheap used miniram?--or even stealth ram?

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jeff!

I called TPIS, and they do have a blem right now (bad casting where it says TPIS). Not much of a discount though.

I lost the first LT1 I was looking at. I am now on track of a second one. I have to see it and make sure it did not come off the small 4.3 caprice motor.

The fellow at LT1intake said the 4.3 has smaller ports and it better suited for a 305 upgrade.

TPIS confirmed that making fuel rails fit is no big deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts