Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
War Machine said:
I know they have been messing around w/ mid engines since at least 1970. I wonder what the biggest drawback is. Maybe handling??
You think? Ferrari & Lamborghini seem to make it work?:huh: Even the Fiero handles great!:thumbsup:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in 1988 GM considered a mid engine design for the C5. The C5 was originally slated for 1993. I wouldn't doubt they considered it for the C6 also. I could be mistaken but didn't Dave Hill mention a mid engine in that long online interview?

·
Obsessive Customizer
535 Posts
War Machine said:
I know they have been messing around w/ mid engines since at least 1970. I wonder what the biggest drawback is. Maybe handling??
Actually, I spoke with a GM designer about 10 years ago and according to him the reason no mid engine vette was made (or would be made {at that point}) was cost. Look at the pricing for the Ferraris and Lambos. The Corvette represented an "affordable" sports car and GM wasn't going to change their market. They continue to mess with the idea but I doubt you will see one on the showroom floor any time soon or ever.

Oh btw (IMHO) the Fiero is not "a real sports car" and although it was an affordable version of the mid engine, the Corvette expectations would never have been downgraded to meet the price range.

·
Registered
0 Posts
customvettes said:

Oh btw (IMHO) the Fiero is not "a real sports car" and although it was an affordable version of the mid engine, the Corvette expectations would never have been downgraded to meet the price range.
The 1988 v-6 fiero is indeed a sports car....ever drive one? They handle like they are on rails & have good get up & go too....yes its no vette but it is a sports car!:thumbsup:

·
Obsessive Customizer
535 Posts
Actually I have driven one. At the time I owned my first vette (78) so to me there was no thought of it as a sports car. The one thing I do know it that it can't take a head on collision with a carnival semi as a friend of mine found out 2 weeks later.

Like I said, it was only my opinion and I know there are people who really like the cars. I was only trying to put a "price and classification" comparision to a mid engine vette.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts