Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Yawn? I think it's a pertty interesting topic.

Those are some healthy wheel studs in that pdf flyer..damn!

Looks like a nice kit and indeed not that bad a price considering no one else sells anything like it.

So... are you going to do it?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yawn? I think it's a pertty interesting topic.

Those are some healthy wheel studs in that pdf flyer..damn!

Looks like a nice kit and indeed not that bad a price considering no one else sells anything like it.

So... are you going to do it?
Most definitely!!!! I just wish I had someone with your welding skill here in NM.
:D

After all the hundreds of posts in my monster thread ("What the Corvette REALLY needs") at CF about wanting a kit like this, it's nice to see that at least one company was willing to go ahead and make one. I think the design is pretty ingenious, too. I think those are Moser axles and studs in the picture. That would account for them being so huge. Also cool that they made them to take the Wilwood brakes. Saves a lot more fabricating.

Dep

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's pics of a C3 posted at the other place that had the soild axle conversion done. Cost was $9,300, but that included a 5 point roll bar.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
9000 dollars :surprised

They cut the whole frame out. Wonder why they did it like that. Then you have only a 1x3 inch metal hold the whole back end of the car on. I wouldn't feel safe drag racing that.

The autofab kit looks much better

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
It is nice to see a kit like this, but it does have a major drawback. The way the 4 link brackets weld to the frame, it won't allow for a narrowed rear end. So for wide tires you need to install flared fenders.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
You don't really need wide tires anymore. Those 10.5 tired cars do some amazing times on those tires. I'm sure dep isn't going to be going into the 7's like they are.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I've got 31x12.5 Hoosiers on my 75 with a stock ZZ502 and a 4:56 rear. Anymore horsepower and I'd need a wider tire. I've been thinking about installing an 9 inch as well, but if I spend the money, I'd want to be able to run wider tires.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't really need wide tires anymore. Those 10.5 tired cars do some amazing times on those tires. I'm sure dep isn't going to be going into the 7's like they are.
Exactly! Consider...Dave Strickler got a 10.80 using 9" x 30.0" Hoosier's. I am going to be running a 302. Not some monster big block that needs as much tire width as you can cram under the car. I'm converting to solid axle for durability and ease of adjustment.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Damn crooked assed race shop I invested some bux into here in Orange Park/Middleburg Florida, used to do those 9" conversions into sharks...

did 2-3 of them while I was around....

dubious name too boot....Hocus Pocus Engineering....

one of the theives died with throat cancer, the other busted up at Gainsville into the wall....glad to hear of that also....

I won't go into anymore for now....

memories, .....

sorta does limit the car's overall total performance as a sports car, which is why I don't do it....

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorta does limit the car's overall total performance as a sports car, which is why I don't do it....

Depends on the "sport". Mine happens to be drag racing :D

Check my sig line :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
12,249 Posts

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Yup! :laughing:

I know it is hard to believe but not all of us want to drive drag queens or track cars! :thumbsup:

Hey, watch it, I have known some drag queens over the decades.....

and NO, NOT .......THAT........way, damnit.....

:devil: :devil: :WTF :cheers:

·
DC Crew
12,249 Posts
Hey, watch it, I have known some drag queens over the decades.....

and NO, NOT .......THAT........way, damnit.....

:devil: :devil: :WTF :cheers:
:rolling:

·
DC Crew
12,249 Posts
just curious but if this thread doesn`t interest you why post?????
.....redvetracr
As a mod I try to balance the information in the C3 section. If a guy posts he is having brake problems, the racers always come back with the only fix is hydoboost. Now we have solid axle corvettes :crazy: .

Just trying to keep everything on a balanced even keel bro. :thumbsup:

Besides, I wanted to .... :cheers:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
racers don't use hydroboost :) they use manual setups. I'm most likely not using my HB either, I'm going to a 3 pedal tilton setup and dump the whole fricken deal

1 - 20 of 148 Posts