Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"Media descriptions of the conservative movement's protests are incomplete without references to a Walmart's worth of wheelchairs and walkers amid a sea of gray heads. Surveys of tea party supporters have found that half are over age 55 and something like a third are 65 or older."

;)

"Why?

Many experts have suggested that the elders were motivated by fear that the Obama administration will cut their Social Security or Medicare payments. But new research into the roots of elders' political and cultural attitudes suggests there may be other factors at work as well.

Spencer Platt, Getty Images
Tea party supporters attend a rally for the Tea Party Express national tour Oct. 19 in Las Vegas.
The tea party movement presents itself as the defender of traditional values such as balanced budgets and freedom from government interference. In a New York Times/CBS News poll, just 16 percent of the group's supporters approved of gay marriage and only 20 percent thought abortions should be "generally available."

Such positions can have substantial psychological benefits for the elderly, according to researchers at Ghent University in Belgium.

In their study, they gave participants, age 60 to 97, tests measuring their self-esteem, on the one hand, and their attitudes toward such issues as women's role in society and abortion, on the other. Those with conservative views measured significantly higher on the self-esteem scale than the more liberal participants.

Belief in the culture and traditions of the society they were part of in years past, the researchers say, makes older people feel better about themselves -- and better able to cope with the negative effects of aging. As the authors of the study put it, "Right-wing beliefs are good for old people."

Numerous studies have found that the elderly tend to be more prejudiced than younger people toward other ethnic and racial groups. Though the tea party movement is not explicitly racist, its rallies sometimes include speakers and sign-bearers expressing racist sentiments.

Just 1 percent of the group's supporters are black -- and the results of the New York Times/CBS News poll suggest some reasons why. Fifty-two percent of supporters say too much attention is being paid to black people's problems. Seventy-three percent say whites and blacks have an equal chance to get ahead in today's society.

Scientists generally attribute the prejudice of the elderly to growing up in an era when such attitudes were common. A recent study by researchers in Australia and the U.S. confirm a somewhat different explanation.

Two groups, one 69 to 88, the other 18 to 25, read four stories that contained stereotypical hints about blacks, Jews and people from Appalachia. The participants were then asked to judge whether a series of sentences had actually appeared in the stories. Half of the sentences contained the stereotypical references.

The result: The older group remembered the stereotypical hints much better than the younger. The researchers' conclusion: Even though many of the elders consciously avoided such attitudes, they had lost over the years some of their brain's ability to inhibit unwanted thoughts. That loss, they found, rather than having grown up in a more conservative era, was a better explanation of elderly prejudice.
:laughing:

Are the psychological benefits of conservative views and the inability to inhibit racist thoughts part of the reason so many older people have joined the tea party movement?

Robert Binstock, a professor of aging, health, and society at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland and an authority on the political behavior of age groups, advises caution.

"When it comes to the political realm," he told AOL News, "categorizing older persons in broad terms can be very misleading. In the last 10 presidential elections, for example, they split their votes among candidates pretty much like all the other age groups except the very youngest."

In 2004, for instance, voters 65 and older voted 52 percent for George W. Bush and 47 percent for John Kerry, while the voting of all age groups was 51 percent for Bush and 48 percent for Kerry.

Like other age cohorts, Binstock says, the elderly differ from each other in a multitude of ways -- income, religion, health, education -- and their voting record reflects that fact. Yes, the current crop may lean toward Republican candidates, but he suspects it's primarily because so many of them were socialized to politics during Dwight Eisenhower's two terms in the presidency.

Sponsored Links In 2008, John McCain won the votes of 54 percent of those 65 to 74 years of age. Those 75 and older, who were already of voting age when Eisenhower took office, gave McCain just 51 percent of their votes.

Some pundits had expected that the elderly would be much more inclined than other age groups to vote against Barack Obama in 2008 on the basis of his race. As it turned out, the totals for white voters 65 and older were right in line with the votes of white voters in other age groups except the youngest. The old white voters were no more -- and no less -- prejudiced, in their voting at least, than younger generations.

"Theories about the political behavior of such a heterogeneous group as the elderly are certainly interesting," Binstock says, "but sometimes facts can get in the way."

---------------------------------------------------------

:laughing:

Same people that are dependent on socialization.:laughing:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
In his own words..."That's what elections are for."

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I would be careful with any criticism of the 75 & older crowd. This generation endured very tough lives, and were brought up with traditional values that have been lost over recent generations.

As a society, I believe our endeavor towards political correctness has contributed to the degradation of core values. BTW, I am not talking about prejudice towards other ethnicities or religions.

Do not overlook their elderly wisdom that has come from decades of living.

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
Yep. Like I was saying....Tea Party=Retirees

or put another way, as many people get experience in life and see how things really work,and get wiser with age they tend to get progressively more conservative and look at liberal ideas , as
(WHAT ARE THESE IDIOTS THINKING??):laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
We enjoy -with such immenseness -that baffling of the left. We use words that are so completely and absolutely foreign to the lefts ideology... words like liberty and freedom and honor. We believe is fairness... not equality -and that a mans worth is what he makes of it. We believe in the founding principles of this nation -and seek to realign this nations direction with those principles.

This is going to be hard on those of you baffled by this ideology... but... we did give you fair warning not to underestimate our resolve. This is just a reaffirmation of that warning.

Even if the article were to be correct (which it is provably not)... WTF does age have to do with it ? I would gladly take 10 that have fought for and helped forge this countries greatness... over 100 of the "know it all" youth expecting a handout from the government... while not understanding the price that we will all be expected to pay for that handout.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be careful with any criticism of the 75 & older crowd. This generation endured very tough lives, and were brought up with traditional values that have been lost over recent generations.

As a society, I believe our endeavor towards political correctness has contributed to the degradation of core values. BTW, I am not talking about prejudice towards other ethnicities or religions.

Do not overlook their elderly wisdom that has come from decades of living.
I fully agree with most of this.

However.....I insert the term.."the sins of our fathers" here.

Many of these older people grew up when the nation was devided over racial issues of the past.
It was a very difficult time filled with lots of anger and fear.

nothing can wash that away untill you die or have dramatic events that change your outlooks on life.

And that torch gets carried easily from one generation to the next.
"The sins of our fathers."

More so of my point is the fact that retirees are highly socialized and dependant on socialization systems and benifits that the tea party see's as a threat.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

Many of these older people grew up when the nation was devided over racial issues of the past.

nothing can wash that away untill you die or have dramatic events that change your outlooks on life.

More so of my point is the fact that retirees are highly socialized and dependant on socialization systems and benifits that the tea party see's as a threat.
How do you know what it was like then?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts

Don't you even read what YOU write?

This generation that you're so willing to castigate is the very generation that passed the Civil Rights Act as well as the Voting Rights Act.

Yet you persist in calling into question their morals and ethics because some goofball academic gave a few volunteers a test, and they recalled the stereotypes better than younger volunteers? That's your basis for this drivel? From my own experience as a part time college professor, I can assure you that most of my older students could recall virtually EVERTHING better than the younger students - they paid more attention, they had better study habits, and they were more prepared.

Would it surprise me if we could prove that older people might have more racial and even religious prejudice than younger people? No - not at all. Of course, I suspect that if we could compare the 'prejudice level' of our parents to our grandparents and great-grandparents, we would probably find that the further back in time we go, the greater the suspicion and distrust of other religions and races would be. Of course, you would also find that the further back you go, the more that an out of town stranger would be viewed suspiciously, no matter his race or religion. That's simply based on what I know of people I grew up with - I didn't need a fancy academic degree and a full professorship to figure that out.

And you want to dramatize that simple common sense concept with the "Sins of the Fathers" crap? If you want Sins of the Fathers, then go to Germany and talk to them about their role in the Holocaust, or to Japan and discuss the Rape of Nanjing. THERE'S something to talk about.

You keep attempting to associate Tea Party and Republicans with racist behaviors - unfortunately you can't seem to find any coherent logical argument, and certainly haven't been able to put forward any solid evidence, so you're left with this kind of material.

I submit that the real racists are those limousine liberals who support policies and practices that keep people in the lower economic strata stuck there decade after decade, with virtually no hope of escape. THOSE are the real racists, and should be called out as such.

Steven

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Downtown Detroit.
Looks like LA and the OJ verdict... only in black and white. Will you be OK with the future generation pointing their fingers at you... and your sins during these times ?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Downtown Detroit.
I'm assuming you mean Downtown Detroit during the Detroit Riots of 1967?

Let's see ...

The riots were sparked in 1967 after a GOVERNMENT LAW ENFORCEMENT effort to raid a bar resulted in the arrest of some 80+ people. This was the normal behavior of the GOVERNMENT in that area ...

Bar Raids
Prostitution Raids
Identification Stops w/o probable cause

This kind of GOVERNMENT program had been in place since the early '60's, and culiminated after that particular raid.

The looting and shooting continued for more than four days. A number of people were killed, and nearly 1200 were injured.

And, therefore,

YOU blame older people that attend Tea Party rallies, and NOT the GOVERNMENT???

:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

Steven

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Downtown Detroit.
I'm assuming you mean Downtown Detroit during the Detroit Riots of 1967?

Let's see ...

The riots were sparked in 1967 after a GOVERNMENT LAW ENFORCEMENT effort to raid a bar resulted in the arrest of some 80+ people. This was the normal behavior of the GOVERNMENT in that area ...

Bar Raids
Prostitution Raids
Identification Stops w/o probable cause

This kind of GOVERNMENT program had been in place since the early '60's, and culiminated after that particular raid.

The looting and shooting continued for more than four days. A number of people were killed, and nearly 1200 were injured.

And, therefore,

:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

Steven
:agree:

I was a sophmore in HS at the time and remember it well.

Looks like downtown Detroit today. Nothings changed due to the policies of those running the ghettos, the Democrats and Progressives since 40 yrs before those pictures were taken.

Drivel indeed.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I submit that the real racists are those limousine liberals who support policies and practices that keep people in the lower economic strata stuck there decade after decade, with virtually no hope of escape. THOSE are the real racists, and should be called out as such.
Like this administrations college grants, loans and aid for the jobless, singe mom's and youth, along with the almost 100 percent tax deductions for those expenses?
The soo callled Obama phones?
and all the other added socialization aid crap added since the recession?

(which I do not endorse):down:

If you say so....:rolleyes:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The govt and local businesses were also trying to starve out the blacks and drive them out.

either way....

that's not the discussion here.
It's not relevant.

It was only added because Arkay asked.

The topic is Tea Party people.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And I'm splitting to walk my 5yo daughter for Halloween in 15 minutes....

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
um........

bump.......
Your point that the Tea Party and their "new republican" candidates are for Social Security reform has merit.

They'd never ever admit that but, it's true.

The GOP will bitch and complain about SS and pander their asses off just like the dems do come election time. We all seen this circus act for decades. Let's just admit it and move on. No party will ever run on cutting SS. It's political suicide and we all know that. If the TP is saying that now, it's nothing more than a balloon that will float away in 2012.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
The govt and local businesses were also trying to starve out the blacks and drive them out.

either way....

that's not the discussion here.
It's not relevant.

It was only added because Arkay asked.

The topic is Tea Party people.

2 Points you haven't debunked.
1: You state the topic is Tea Party people, yet you state the attitudes are from the 60's, or the past. You don't know what it was like in th the 60's, only whay you've 'heard' second hand.
2: That retirees are highly socialized... I guess you mean they are all on Social Security, and therefore have no right to critisize the government. Not all retirees are on Social Security, or depend on it fully. Most retirees have a pension, or other private account, or other means of support that Social Security helps with.

Unless they are poor or lived on the government dole thier whole lives.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Most retirees have a pension, or other private account, or other means of support that Social Security helps with.
Do you have anything to back that claim up with?

I don't buy that off hand. In fact, I think the majority of retired folks in the US depend solely on SS benefits for their income.

I may be wrong though and please correct me if I am.

Point being, the issue is taboo. Any rumblings of cuts would cause tidal waves within the elderly vote and neither party wants to go down that political road.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts