Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recently trying to change the oil on my '01 by jacking up the rear end, I vowed to make myself a set of lifting pucks. As it turns out, one of my coworkers plays ice hockey and was stopping by the shop near the San Jose Sharks arena. He offered to pick me up a set and hooked me up with them today.

After taking some careful measurements ("how big's the slot compared to my pointer finger?"), I stopped by OSH and picked up a set of 2 5/8" large eye screws.

As you can see, the screw thread is longer than the puck is deep, that'll be dealt with soon enough though.

The first one I eyeballed dead center, and push-twisted in the thread to get it started.

As I mentioned, there ended up being a bit poking through.

Running it against the grinding wheel cleared up that problem. Word of advice.. don't do this with clean clothes on... the puck particulate gets all over the place and is extremely small, not to mention the smell.

Finished making the set. I found the quickest way to get it done was to make a guide hold with a drill, get the screw started, then clamp the eye in a bench-top vise and twist the puck.

Tested it on the '01, fit nice and snug.

Also gave one a quick test on my father's XLR, since that's based on the C6 chassis. It worked perfectly on that as well.

Now we just need to get the two-post lift we've been eyeing. My coworker refused to take any cash for the pucks, so I told him he's got free use of the lift when we get it.

Hope this comes in handy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Thanks for the how to. I need to make a set of those.How much are a normal set of hockey pucks?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the how to. I need to make a set of those.How much are a normal set of hockey pucks?
Couple of bucks at most. Another coworker initially suggested ordering a few from here, but also pointed out that you could probably find them for sale at a Play It Again Sports or similar store. I know the local Big 5 doesn't carry any ice hockey stuff.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Is that all.Here I was thinking like twenty bucks.Now I really don't have excuse

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just did this. Took less than 20 minutes, cost lest than 10 bucks.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
I've always just used a square piece of 1 in. thick rubber between the lifting jack and the cars.. Always worked out well... Just so that there are no scratches ... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I made some of these last year, and just recently tried them out when I had a tire place change rims. They worked great.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Can't see the pictures,I'm at work.:huh:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
I can never get the red X pictures at work :huh: don't know why.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hockey pucks

could someone help me out with the purchase of hockey pucks? no one has them here in the sunny south. any help would be appreciated. thanks...............

·
Registered
816 Posts
Dicks sporting goods

·
Registered
55 Posts
hockey pucks

thanks crimsonwake ......looked on the net and we do have a dick's sporting goods in spartanburg, so i'll check with them. thanks again.............few

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Cool idea. I always loose my katech pucks when I forget them on the car. Next time I loose one I will make my own:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Made my own, too! Except i didn't want rubber everywhere, so i drilled the hole, screwed the eyelets in, then took them back out and just grinded down the eyelet on it's own.

They work as advertised! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bought a set of the auction site and while they work, they do not fit snugly and will fall out if I don't have pressure on them. I need to make a set for myself.

Yours look like they turned out nice.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went the "slightly" more expensive route - the rocker savers
with built-in lifting pads. No more pucks needed - ever.
Don't have to worry about them falling out before I get the
jack under them either...

But that's good info anyway! Always appreciate seeing what
sort of stuff people can come up with.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I bought a set off ebay for $16 and they work great. I didn't want to go try and find a set of hockey pucks here in TN so I just went the easy route.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts