Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some new wheels and tires on the way, now I want to lower it. I have the kit. Should I install the wedges? Is it lower with the wedges or without? What do I use to glue them on? Do I cut the outside (by the lower control arm) rubber off too?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
billyhay said:
I have some new wheels and tires on the way, now I want to lower it. I have the kit. Should I install the wedges? Is it lower with the wedges or without? What do I use to glue them on? Do I cut the outside (by the lower control arm) rubber off too?
Hey bud!

Yes, you'll drop 3/4" to 1" by cutting the rubber off the lower control arm. The person that did it for me used a saws-all to slices through it and save time (it'd take quite a while with a hack saw). He left an 1/16" of rubber there then slathered it in white grease.

I understand that if you put in the wedges, it should go lower. But, I know some folks who put in the wedges, and it didn't go lower at all.

I think it has something to do with the valving of the shocks. If you have new "stiff" shocks, it seems the car won't drop as much because the shocks hold it up. With older shocks, the car seems to go lower.

I put Z51 shocks in my car about 6 weeks ago, and my car went UP 3/4 inch or so in the front, and about a 1/2 " in the back. CRAZY!

The BEST way to go low is to get a set of coil overs ($1000 for a set). Then, you can lower/raise the ride height all you want.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i had an 89' that i put the wedges in,it only went down 1".i pulled the wedges out and it dropped about another 3/4".look at Da Hawaiian Punchs 91'(the c4 with the wing)his has no wedges either.but the wedges go on the spring itself.right were the spring contacts the body,about a foot inboard from each wheel.lower control arms?:huh: are those the end rubber spring protectors your talking about Pat.thers two aluminum brackets on the spring,i took those off,cut the rubber off the spring.trimmed about 1/4" off the brackets and put back together.
contact Da Punch,he'll post the whole instuction(detailed).
like Patrick said,that rubber is murder to cut off.thats if you want it slammed.Punch even has a picture of the 89 and the 91.post pictures when your done.:buhbye:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Yo Patrick (Or any other lowering experts)

Patrick96LT4 said:
Hey bud!

Yes, you'll drop 3/4" to 1" by cutting the rubber off the lower control arm. The person that did it for me used a saws-all to slices through it and save time (it'd take quite a while with a hack saw). He left an 1/16" of rubber there then slathered it in white grease.

Hmmm.....did you only cut the rubber by the control arms? I thought the rubber you were supposed to cut off was where the spring touched the frame.

Originally posted by hawaii-5-lo
but the wedges go on the spring itself.right were the spring contacts the body,about a foot inboard from each wheel
That is what I thought, but I haven't taken it apart yet. I only want to drop it an inch or so, should I put the wedges in?

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
ya that might be a good way to approach it if you dont want to go really low.i'm assuming you already know how to do the rear.it took me about two weeks to get the back perfectly level.i'm so anal about that.it was to the point i would go under a crank one side a quarter turn.ahh,finally.make sure you use grade 8 bolts if you change any out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
i dont mean to hi jack this thread but, if you intall coil overs, exactly how low can you go? also how would you adjust the height on a coil over system, iv never used adjustable suspensions before

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
BAD civic said:
i dont mean to hi jack this thread but, if you intall coil overs, exactly how low can you go? also how would you adjust the height on a coil over system, iv never used adjustable suspensions before
theres a member on here from the netherlands-Johnny,he has coil overs on his.maybe he'll check in soon.
take a look at how low Da Hawaiian Punchs c4 is.he has stock suspension,and it is low.i think his car is in the 'gallery'.

·
Once again, "Hawaiian Punch"
1,265 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
theres a member on here from the netherlands-Johnny,he has coil overs on his.maybe he'll check in soon.
take a look at how low Da Hawaiian Punchs c4 is.he has stock suspension,and it is low.i think his car is in the 'gallery'.
Coming to the rescue 5-Lo.

This is the my signiture picture and also another with my old rims.

I have the stock suspension, no need to spend all that money for going low purpose's:thumbsup:
Heres a "copy and Paste" instructions that I had writing out for a fellow member about a year ago, and also did this same just recently for another member about 2 weeks ago, so here you go, and I hope this will help you out........

It's so easy to do! Infact, the hardest thing to do is to cut the rubber off the spring.. that stuff on there is tuff!!
Unbolt the outer tie rod & sway bar, on both sides, losen the spring retainers which is holding the leaf spring to the frame of the car.
On either side that you what to start on first, get a block of wood ( 2 by 4 ) and a small floor jack will be fine, put the wood along with the jack under the spring closest to the a-arm, with out it being ON the a-arm it's self and slowly jack the spring up untill it's not resting on the lower a-arm ( about a 1/4 to an 1/2 inch off ) Disconect the ABS sensor thats located on the brake assembly, thats very important for you to do so!! ( if yours has one) remove the 2 bolts that are holding the shocks to the lower a-arm (they're located near the spring in the lower a-arm), unbolt the lower ball joint stud nut, you can use a two jaw puller or what I did was unscrew the nut untill it covered the end of the stud and with a hammer, tap on the top of the nut and not that hard or you'll ruin either the nut it's self or the stud or both. (try using a hard rubber mallet first)
Before doing this, find something to put under the wheel hub.. another block of wood would be fine just to stabilize it and it should come free with no problem!!
repeat this on the other side and let the presure off from the 2 by 4 and jack free and you should be able to slide the spring out from either side after you pull back at the wheel hub away little, the spring will slide out from the lower a-arm.
It will not come out all the way if the car is not jacked up high enough and it does not have to!! you just need to be able to slide the spring far enough to be able to reach the rubber mounts.
With a steak knife or I prefered a hack saw blade, saw off the rubber mounts and try not to cut into the spring it's self... take your time, don't rush!!.
Do this on both sides.
(Helpfull hint: while cutting the rubber off, lift up on the side that you started cutting at, at the same time you cutting away, the reason is that if you dont do this, the rubber will grab onto the knife/sawblade and you'll make very slow progress if any at all. The first side that I did without doing this took me about an hr and a half to cut, untill I lifted the rubber up off the blade thats sliding back and forth, the other side took 10 min to complete the job, big difference.)
This will give you the drop that your, I think looking for!!!
The wheels will be, depending on what size rims you've got, if your running stock 17's will be about an 1 inch to an 1 1/4 from the fender wells, and NO!! THEY WILL NOT RUB!!
You will have to of course hopefully with out saying, take the wheels off to do this job, and the ride is fine, just a little more stiff, and I do mean, A LITTLE!!
I hope this helps Aloha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hawaiian Punch, thank you. I read those instructions while doing a search which led me to the question on whether to use the wedges or not. I don't want to go as low as your car is. The roads up here are in very bad shape from all the snowplows, my car would never survive being that low. I would like an approximate 1 inch drop, should I put the wedges in?

·
1,265 Posts
billyhay said:
Hawaiian Punch, thank you. I read those instructions while doing a search which led me to the question on whether to use the wedges or not. I don't want to go as low as your car is. The roads up here are in very bad shape from all the snowplows, my car would never survive being that low. I would like an approximate 1 inch drop, should I put the wedges in?
Most definetly. (If your refering to the lowering kit wedges) Cool, glad I was able to.....sort of help you my friend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
awwwwwww

Now that we have power again i'd like to ask if theres any canadians around the Toronto area that have done this damn i must be stupid ..........im thinking theres 2 rubbers to cut off one in the springs and 1 on the lower A arm is this right ......if there is anyone that knows a shop i can take my baby toooo i'd be real greeatful

:cheers:

·
1,265 Posts
Re: awwwwwww

Synn said:
Now that we have power again i'd like to ask if theres any canadians around the Toronto area that have done this damn i must be stupid ..........im thinking theres 2 rubbers to cut off one in the springs and 1 on the lower A arm is this right ......if there is anyone that knows a shop i can take my baby toooo i'd be real greeatful

:cheers:
Your right, there are two pieces of rubber that has too be cut off on the spring it's self, (Near the center of the spring) and on each side of the lower a-arm, or a frame there is a piece of thick rubber that can be shaved off also.
I know you can do it. It'll take a little time for the first timers, but it's not diffecult to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's done! :excited:

Thanks for the help Hawaiian Punch. :cheers: I ended up cutting off the inside mounts, and ditching the shims that were between the mounts and the frame. I put in the wedges that came with the kit. I didn't touch the rubber on the ends by the control arms.

Result, I lost 3/4 of an inch up front and 1 and 1/4 inches out back. The car still sits higher in the back by 3/4 of an inch. Looks perfect. :excited:

It was a PITA to do the front. You wouldn't think 3/4 of an inch would make that big a difference, but it does. Looks awesome! Pics will come soon. (I took some, but they didn't come out very good)

Thanks again everyone.......look for it at Carlisle. :buhbye:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
good job billyhay,take some pictures if you can.i know when you do the rear it seems like your relaxing the spring,but when you let the car down the spring rate is the same.with some custom shocks and a lowered car,you can really help your launchs if your into racing,and wheel-hop is no more(for those that have it).
Synn,if this helps anymore,dont worry about the rubber on the control arms,thats only if you want the car really low.
for a really low car-cut the rubber off the spring,do not install wedges and trim the rubber off the control arms.
Synn,have you looked at your spring yet?it makes alot more sense when you can picture the spring and rubber.the rubber on the spring is about 3 times as thick as the wedges.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i'm Tackling this in the morning

well i hope i don't screw it up i guess ill take my digital cam under the front end and see what happens

you guys have been alot of help ........I'm glad to be here My NEW Rims and Tires Look great already and the c5 caliper upgrade in the front together with the new drilled and slotted rotors (zink coated ) look hottttttttttttt all from reading here on the forum helped me lots i've never wanted to touch my car until i joined here for that i thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOWWWW is all i can say feels like having a new car again ....well i only have 18,000 k on it .......

:cheers: :nuts: :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: i'm Tackling this in the morning

Synn said:
well i hope i don't screw it up i guess ill take my digital cam under the front end and see what happens

you guys have been alot of help ........I'm glad to be here My NEW Rims and Tires Look great already and the c5 caliper upgrade in the front together with the new drilled and slotted rotors (zink coated ) look hottttttttttttt all from reading here on the forum helped me lots i've never wanted to touch my car until i joined here for that i thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOWWWW is all i can say feels like having a new car again ....well i only have 18,000 k on it .......
:cheers: :thumbsup:

·
1,265 Posts
billyhay said:
Well, it's done! :excited:

Thanks for the help Hawaiian Punch. :cheers: I ended up cutting off the inside mounts, and ditching the shims that were between the mounts and the frame. I put in the wedges that came with the kit. I didn't touch the rubber on the ends by the control arms.

Result, I lost 3/4 of an inch up front and 1 and 1/4 inches out back. The car still sits higher in the back by 3/4 of an inch. Looks perfect. :excited:

It was a PITA to do the front. You wouldn't think 3/4 of an inch would make that big a difference, but it does. Looks awesome! Pics will come soon. (I took some, but they didn't come out very good)

Thanks again everyone.......look for it at Carlisle. :buhbye:
Cool!!! Good job guys on the forum!! another satisfied customer!!!!!:cheers:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts