Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
69,122 Posts
billyhay said:
I have some new wheels and tires on the way, now I want to lower it. I have the kit. Should I install the wedges? Is it lower with the wedges or without? What do I use to glue them on? Do I cut the outside (by the lower control arm) rubber off too?
Hey bud!

Yes, you'll drop 3/4" to 1" by cutting the rubber off the lower control arm. The person that did it for me used a saws-all to slices through it and save time (it'd take quite a while with a hack saw). He left an 1/16" of rubber there then slathered it in white grease.

I understand that if you put in the wedges, it should go lower. But, I know some folks who put in the wedges, and it didn't go lower at all.

I think it has something to do with the valving of the shocks. If you have new "stiff" shocks, it seems the car won't drop as much because the shocks hold it up. With older shocks, the car seems to go lower.

I put Z51 shocks in my car about 6 weeks ago, and my car went UP 3/4 inch or so in the front, and about a 1/2 " in the back. CRAZY!

The BEST way to go low is to get a set of coil overs ($1000 for a set). Then, you can lower/raise the ride height all you want.

:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
69,122 Posts
Re: i'm Tackling this in the morning

Synn said:
well i hope i don't screw it up i guess ill take my digital cam under the front end and see what happens

you guys have been alot of help ........I'm glad to be here My NEW Rims and Tires Look great already and the c5 caliper upgrade in the front together with the new drilled and slotted rotors (zink coated ) look hottttttttttttt all from reading here on the forum helped me lots i've never wanted to touch my car until i joined here for that i thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOWWWW is all i can say feels like having a new car again ....well i only have 18,000 k on it .......
:cheers: :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
69,122 Posts
CentralCoaster said:
I only dropped 5/8" in front on my Z51. That was with replacing wedges, and removing the aluminum spacer. I didn't touch the spring pads though.

You MUST have wedges of some height in there, to keep the composite spring from contacting the metal spring channel.
My car went up a bit when I put Z51 shocks on (versus base suspension stocks).

I think "base suspension" cars go lower compared to Z51 cars. The Z51 shocks are stiffer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.