Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SpeedDirect has a video of their prototype coil over rear on their website & another forum. Care to take a look & give your opinion.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I don't really see a point to it when I can do mine like Norvals for around 400 dollars with the coil overs

I agree, and given the problems with many of the steeroids installs, and that over complicated 3 joint input setup, when my 2 joint actually hit the road before they sold the first one, I"ll take mine....or Norvals coil over, anyway....I KNOW Norval and Marck know :WTF is going on, not so sure over many commercial outfits....

so much junk, so little time....

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
If you check out the vid you see there are also shocks in the oem location...whazzup with that?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Maybe I'm not seeing this correctly but it looks like they still have the original shocks in place. 4 shocks? Also the bell crank geometry looks like it could use some work and I'm not really sure shocks will last very long laid over horizontally like that, not easy on seals. I know race cars do it but the shocks are rebuilt frequently.

I'm not strider either:laughing:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you check out the vid you see there are also shocks in the oem location...whazzup with that?
SpeedDirect claimed they were on there until testing was complete!? I would have thought that testing couldn't be realisticly done with them on.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
It may be shock inefficiency, see below. I had a debate about that w/ them on CF a while ago. They use a cantilever/cam setup but their cam has a ratio larger than 1:1. The 2 holes (shock and pushrod) are not the same distance to the cam pivot axis, this means that if you mounted it so that the pushrod actuates the cam and then the cam the pushrod in 90 or 180 deg. angles that you would loose shock efficiency in the same rate as the ratio, meaning if it were 2:1 you would have x/2 shock travel for x suspension defletion.

A shock also quickly becomes significantly less efficient when mounted @ < 75degrees to the direction of actuation. Check out the pic

They have that nailed down pretty well there, that looks to be fairly close to 90 deg. If only they would change the cam so that the ratio would be closer to 1:1 then IMO it would be a lot better. Now you need a much stiffer spring and shock because you loose efficiency. It also means that the shock will operate over a very small section of it's full travel and as we all know it's not a spring rate that is really important, it's th spring load, and spring load goes up as rate * deflection. What would be a more efficient spring/shock absorber combo, something that carries 2000 lbs on a 500 lbs spring and having 4" of spring deflection or 2000 lbs on a 1000lbs spring w/ 2" deflection. Which would follow the road better?

Now, maybe they could get the proper springs (not difficult to get 1000+ lbs coil over springs, not at all) but a stiff shock, now there may be a problem. Leave stock shock on, presto! That's what I think is happening here.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
National Enquiring minds want to know....just perzactly what this brings to the table?? we still have the t-arms with bump stear, we still have from what I see the same spring action....still to the center of the car, essentially....stock shocks or no...just how does this improve on the stock setup?? considering the use of a VBP 360 lbs plastic spring, and now Billy Stein shocks.....what would be the expected improvement???

:crazy: :WTF :cheers:

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
National Enquiring minds want to know....just perzactly what this brings to the table?? we still have the t-arms with bump stear, we still have from what I see the same spring action....still to the center of the car, essentially....stock shocks or no...just how does this improve on the stock setup?? considering the use of a VBP 360 lbs plastic spring, and now Billy Stein shocks.....what would be the expected improvement???

:crazy: :WTF :cheers:
like they said in the post. It looks cool. I betya a lot of people order them.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Do you have the equipment to produce it, or even the knowledge to design it?

What does it bring, it brings a little reduced unpsrung weight but also the advantages of coil overs like quick spring changes, easy ride heoght adjsutment. True independence in the IRS.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Do you have the equipment to produce it, or even the knowledge to design it?

What does it bring, it brings a little reduced unpsrung weight but also the advantages of coil overs like quick spring changes, easy ride heoght adjsutment. True independence in the IRS.

I gave a few seconds thought to making my rack conversion into a production item, but it's too much PIA, for what I thought was too little sales...still wonder how many C3 racks Steeroids has actually sold, they do the same for many other cars also, I know that....still bet their liability insurance is rather high, if indeed they are insured at all.....what with lawyers egar to sue for anything these daze.....:crazy: :cheers:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Also, you have to be able to produce a consistent quality. I've seen some products lately that had welds that were poor at best. Here's an example, it looks like a nice product but those welds, especially the right hand one

I would not be happy w/ something like that, I would grind it out and weld it myself if it came in like that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey T, picked up Vette last week. Project # 1 rebuild/replace bent connecting plate on Steeroids rack. We have talked about this being a weak point several times.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Good thing you caught that. Are you replacing the plate?

I have a spare one for when the other bends like that, after that it'll be home built for sure.

Keith Versakis (427hotrod/corvette engineering) made his from square stock I think. The bent plate that SD supplied may easily be reinforced w/ a rig on the back to keep it from bending.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Also, you have to be able to produce a consistent quality. I've seen some products lately that had welds that were poor at best. Here's an example, it looks like a nice product but those welds, especially the right hand one

I would not be happy w/ something like that, I would grind it out and weld it myself if it came in like that.
I'm actually surprisingly good at welding now

1 - 20 of 62 Posts