Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body running Year Of Manufacture state license plates?

Indiana started allowing the use of YOM in 2008. Looks like a lot of states are now doing it. Pretty cool idea if you ask me.

For the additional $40 annual fee, it would look pretty nice on the car.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Being a state vehicle inspector in MA, I see quite a few guys running them. Its a pretty good conversation starter because they usually have a story about how they came across the plates.

Its also good for the guys that live in states that require two plates. Most of the time states only required one plate back when. Its a cheap way to clean up the front end legally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is on the wall

In Kansas the car needs to be 35 years old. So it is hanging there waiting for the car to grow up.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being a state vehicle inspector in MA, I see quite a few guys running them. Its a pretty good conversation starter because they usually have a story about how they came across the plates.

Its also good for the guys that live in states that require two plates. Most of the time states only required one plate back when. Its a cheap way to clean up the front end legally.
Here in IN, my county requires bi-annual emission testing on all post '75 cars. I've been getting around that with their "Show Car Exemption" :crazy: The BMV requires me to take the car to the emission center every two years and get a form signed that it's a show car....I'm also suppose to supply verification that I have entered it at least twice a year into car shows (although they never have asked for the proof). It's all just a big pain in the ass.

With the new YOM rules, the emission testing/waiver is a non-issue. :partyon: No worry of taking it in for inspections every other year and no more need to enter actual shows. Of course, the BMV is making an extra $40/year off of me, but it's worth the money to me.

Now I just have to find a clean NOS vintage license plate as most of the vintage plates are pretty rough.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Missouri has a 35 year old thing- ONE TIME fee and it's over- no state inspections, emissions or anything else. Pay the property tax and keep it insured. Only thing is a 5000 miles per year limit and you're supposed to keep a log. The limitations are to/from educational events, shows, and repair places.
Don't tell anyone, but I don't worry about the log, and I drive the thing anytime I feel like it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't get me started about CA and there smog laws and BS on my 30 year old Corvette!

I wish I could :nuts:Congress over the smog laws for old cars, but I digress...

I wouldn't mind rockin an older plate. I have personalized plates right now, but I'd change them out for era specific plates.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have FL YOM plates for both my 72 vette and 68 mustang. it is a real PITA to get them though. you take the car to the tax office where they have to actually look at the VIN. They then inspect the YOM plates to verify that the numbers are not someone elses. They then issue you a temporary tag. You then have to mail the plates to the state capital where someone looks at the plates to determine if they are in good enough condition to be installed on a car. they then mail them back to you with a yay or nay. of course it costs an arm and a leg to boot. at least FL doesnt do any sort of state inspection or emissions testing so thats a plus i guess.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just got a a pair of 69 plates from a co-worker whose dad saved his plates from both of his cars.
Both are in decent shape and are exactly the same except the last numbers are either a 3 or 1.

Now I have to figure out a good process to clean them up, re-paint them and make them look good. Anyone ever restored plates before?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a a pair of 69 plates from a co-worker whose dad saved his plates from both of his cars.
Both are in decent shape and are exactly the same except the last numbers are either a 3 or 1.

Now I have to figure out a good process to clean them up, re-paint them and make them look good. Anyone ever restored plates before?
You're pretty lucky on the year I think. Aren't the '69 plates just a base coat with the raised digits painted?

As long as you match the original colors, you should be able to spray the base coat, role the raised digits with a flat ink roller like print shops use, and you're done. I'd think you could find a small flat roller in a hobby or craft store. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts