Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

You can polish a turd

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  mfi 
#1 ·
So today I tackled the rest of the car. in my previous post I finished the back. today the hood and doors. Again it was murder. The hood is a huge piece of automotive real estate. I'm happy with the results. Now it could use a new top..and some go fast goodies.

After wet sanding

After wet sand, compound, polish and wax...

See less See more
#9 ·
WOW big difference. Looks great.:thumbsup:

#21 ·
Couldnt agree moooore! :thumbsup: :partyon:

Whats that light green spot around the door handle though? Looks a different shade of green then the rest of the car?

#23 ·
Got ya! Cool story :D :partyon:

#24 ·
How does he do that???

This is inspirational. Where's your other post? I want to know all the details. :partyon:

I have your sister car: 93 Polo Green Vert, Black GS wheels (and black top).

Not sure this wil work, but here's a pic

From 20 feet away it looks great. But any closer and it looks like your 'before' pictures.

Your car looks FANTASTIK! :thumbsup:

Great work ( and I do mean WORK)

#25 ·
Looks like more work is needed. The deck is getting white again as air is getting to the clear...might have to sand all the clear off the whole rear deck up to the sidewalls...oy.
My other post is titled..wow what a difference...do a search under MFI

#26 ·
Paint improvement Society

Thanks- I read your other posts. Had the clearcoat come off in some areas?
In my situation, I'm lucky enough to have all my clearcoat, but i have some acid rain damage (along with orange peel) that keeps it from looking shiny even after waxing.

what ive been doing is wetsanding with 2000 grit to remove about 80% of the orange peel/ acid rain scars. (I'm afraid of removing clearcoat down to the color coat, so I stop before it looks too good). Then I polish out the sanding scratches and apply "Liquid Glass". It's time consuming and doesnt make it look like new, but, heck- it's a 93 after all, and I can't justify a repaint. It's a big improvement over the way it looked before.
I plan on doing small areas at a time until the entire car is done above the beltline.

Way down low, I'm planning on sanding and applyiing new clearcoat (spraycan). Haven't seen anyone do that, but it's a low risk area (like behind the rear wheels) and I don't have much to lose.

#27 ·
Thanks- I read your other posts. Had the clearcoat come off in some areas?
In my situation, I'm lucky enough to have all my clearcoat, but i have some acid rain damage (along with orange peel) that keeps it from looking shiny even after waxing.

what ive been doing is wetsanding with 2000 grit to remove about 80% of the orange peel/ acid rain scars. (I'm afraid of removing clearcoat down to the color coat, so I stop before it looks too good). Then I polish out the sanding scratches and apply "Liquid Glass". It's time consuming and doesnt make it look like new, but, heck- it's a 93 after all, and I can't justify a repaint. It's a big improvement over the way it looked before.
I plan on doing small areas at a time until the entire car is done above the beltline.

Way down low, I'm planning on sanding and applyiing new clearcoat (spraycan). Haven't seen anyone do that, but it's a low risk area (like behind the rear wheels) and I don't have much to lose.

The clearcoat will not stick to the old paint so I wouldn't bother..just keep doing what you're doing, its the only thing that will work. I've been considering about getting the car painted in another state...A guy on corvette forum had his done in Texas for 3K...so with shipping back in forth it would come to about 5K, a lot less than the 8k I was quoted here in NY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.