Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You would not belive what happened to me yesterday.
Some time ago I posted a thread on here telling you about a couples '79 corvette that had an electrical fire. The people contacted the local corvette club by email saying that they were going to have to sell their pride and joy because they could't afford to fix it. When I read their email, I could tell that they hated to part with it, so I wrote them back and told them that if they would pay for the parts, that I would do the labor free for them. Well, they responded, and the next week, it was in my garage. The fire damaged the seals in the engine and trans., and burned the distributor cap, wiper motor etc. Anything plasic or rubber under the hood, got it. It then followed the harness through the rubber plugs in the firewall, and burned the dash pretty bad. The good thing is, that was as far as it went.It did make a foot square section of the firewall weak, and burned the hood pretty good, but that is all the fibreglass it got. The car was just restored about four years ago and looks great other than this. Well, I've had the car a few months now, and I hadn't heard from them in awhile until they called yesterday. The guy called and told me that his wifes 16 year old daughter was moving in with them and he didn't think they would be able to come up with the money for the parts. Then he did something that just floored me. He said, "THAT HE WAS JUST GOING TO SIGN THE TITLE OVER TO ME, AND LET ME HAVE THE CAR BECAUSE I CAME FORWARD AND TRIED TO HELP THEM. Can you believe that? He gave me the car. It is a T-top small block car with power everything except seats. I'm in heaven. We are now a two vette family!

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
There are a lot of generous folks in the Corvette community. Seems you both you and the owner fit well in that category. Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uploaded pictures. Just waiting for approval.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Thats awesome. You really got rewarded for your good deed.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[/IMG]
Here's a picture of the good!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
This is all good!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the bad!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I'm not much on racing. I plan on putting it back on the road, but some- what custom. I have plans to put after market wiring harness from painless wiring, and after-market guages. I'd also like to put in a pro stick shifter and build a custom console for it. That way all I need for the interior is the dash and front carpet. The rest of the interior will clean. I would love to put a big block in this, but not sure if one will fit. If anyone has input on this I would love to hear it. I have two more L-98s out of corvettes in my garage. One is the original motor out of my 85 which has 98,000 on it. The other came out of an 89 which had 109,000 on it. So both are in need of a rebuild. I also have the 700r4 out of the 89 that I would love to put in the 79. I am looking for offset trailing arms for the rear that will allow wider tires.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sometimes good deeds are rewarded.

Your offer of free labor was very generous and somewhat rare these days.

Enjoy yout new ride

Rick :cheers:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry so long, but good story.

Sometimes good deeds are rewarded.

Your offer of free labor was very generous and somewhat rare these days.

Enjoy yout new ride

Rick :cheers:
Years ago I used to play alot of pool, at the time I was about 20, and there was a guy who always hung out at the pool hall who was in his late 30's early 40's.

It didn't matter what time of day or night I was there, he was too.

His name was Bob, and I got to wondering what he did for a living.

So I started talking to him about differant stuff, and I think we even dicided to play I little. We might have started gambling I don't remember.

Anyway, upon asking him what he did for a living he tells me he's retired.

He confirms his age upon my asking, and I ask what he did to be able to retire at such an early age.

He looks at me, smiles, and says, "I'll give you one piece of advice, BE NICE TO EVERYBODY." So after that I stop asking, and we finish playing.

A few days later I'm talking to friend that knows Bob pretty well, and I tell him the story. So he gives me the details, here he had 3 or 4 family members, elderly, that were pretty well off. He said Bob was always the kind of guy that didn't have alot, but would give anybody the shirt off his back.

Anyway, he helped one of these family members in a big way one day, and word got to the others of his kindness. Over the coarse of about 10 years Bob spent alot of time helping these people get through life in their older years, and 1 by 1 they all passed on.

Each one of them willed everything to him to the tune of about 20 mil. total assets.

Now heres where it gets good...

About 6 months later, my car gets wiped out. I had an 86 nissan 200sx, now this wasn't the average 200. It was a special edition with the 300z motor in it, I loved that car real nice balance of performance. Any way the thing gets hit by a guy with no insurance. The cars in great condition other wise. Now because the car was 6 years old when I bought it I couldn't get collision Ins. and under the uninsured motorist Ins. they totaled the car. I was pissed... The car was perfect except for a smashed right corner. So I have the thing towed to a friends shop, the Ins. co. gives me a check, and I leave the car for them to recover.

Now over that last 6 months I had become descent friends with Bob. He see's me a day or two later and tells me he was sorry to hear about my accident, but was glad to see I was ok. He commented on me really liking that particular car, and how much I enjoyed it. (It was my first real road car)

Anyway to wrap this up, I get a call from the body shop to come get this car off their lot about 8 weeks later. Of course I give a little attitude, it's not my car call the insurance company. I'm told I gotta come get the car. So I go down to the body shop only to find the car totally repaired and payed for. Now at the time I was to be kept in the dark about who payed for the car, but I new. There was only one guy who could afford to just drop 4k on something like that.

So I'm blown away by this, I can't not say anything. So I go and thank Bob, and he tells me It's the least he could do. Here it turns out he was repaying me for a favor I did for him that was totally nothing...

... about 2 wks after our initial conversation about his retirement, I was at the pool hall and the phone rang. Calvin the owner answers, and then asks if I could pick up Bob he was stranded along the road with a flat. So I say sure, and I go. I get there never intending to just pick him up, for whatever reason he couldn't change the flat. So I pull over he hops in, and I shut my car off.
Once he realizes I'm gonna change his flat he starts protesting, and telling me he's got a tow truck coming and all that. 15 min. were both on our way.

Any way thats it, he never forgot it and 6 months later decided that was a good enough reason to fix my beloved car for me, totally blows my mind everytime I think about it.

It's nice to know there are truely good people still out there. ;)

Rick

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Years ago I used to play alot of pool, at the time I was about 20, and there was a guy who always hung out at the pool hall who was in his late 30's early 40's.

It didn't matter what time of day or night I was there, he was too.

His name was Bob, and I got to wondering what he did for a living.

So I started talking to him about differant stuff, and I think we even dicided to play I little. We might have started gambling I don't remember.

Anyway, upon asking him what he did for a living he tells me he's retired.

He confirms his age upon my asking, and I ask what he did to be able to retire at such an early age.

He looks at me, smiles, and says, "I'll give you one piece of advice, BE NICE TO EVERYBODY." So after that I stop asking, and we finish playing.

A few days later I'm talking to friend that knows Bob pretty well, and I tell him the story. So he gives me the details, here he had 3 or 4 family members, elderly, that were pretty well off. He said Bob was always the kind of guy that didn't have alot, but would give anybody the shirt off his back.

Anyway, he helped one of these family members in a big way one day, and word got to the others of his kindness. Over the coarse of about 10 years Bob spent alot of time helping these people get through life in their older years, and 1 by 1 they all passed on.

Each one of them willed everything to him to the tune of about 20 mil. total assets.

Now heres where it gets good...

About 6 months later, my car gets wiped out. I had an 86 nissan 200sx, now this wasn't the average 200. It was a special edition with the 300z motor in it, I loved that car real nice balance of performance. Any way the thing gets hit by a guy with no insurance. The cars in great condition other wise. Now because the car was 6 years old when I bought it I couldn't get collision Ins. and under the uninsured motorist Ins. they totaled the car. I was pissed... The car was perfect except for a smashed right corner. So I have the thing towed to a friends shop, the Ins. co. gives me a check, and I leave the car for them to recover.

Now over that last 6 months I had become descent friends with Bob. He see's me a day or two later and tells me he was sorry to hear about my accident, but was glad to see I was ok. He commented on me really liking that particular car, and how much I enjoyed it. (It was my first real road car)

Anyway to wrap this up, I get a call from the body shop to come get this car off their lot about 8 weeks later. Of course I give a little attitude, it's not my car call the insurance company. I'm told I gotta come get the car. So I go down to the body shop only to find the car totally repaired and payed for. Now at the time I was to be kept in the dark about who payed for the car, but I new. There was only one guy who could afford to just drop 4k on something like that.

So I'm blown away by this, I can't not say anything. So I go and thank Bob, and he tells me It's the least he could do. Here it turns out he was repaying me for a favor I did for him that was totally nothing...

... about 2 wks after our initial conversation about his retirement, I was at the pool hall and the phone rang. Calvin the owner answers, and then asks if I could pick up Bob he was stranded along the road with a flat. So I say sure, and I go. I get there never intending to just pick him up, for whatever reason he couldn't change the flat. So I pull over he hops in, and I shut my car off.
Once he realizes I'm gonna change his flat he starts protesting, and telling me he's got a tow truck coming and all that. 15 min. were both on our way.

Any way thats it, he never forgot it and 6 months later decided that was a good enough reason to fix my beloved car for me, totally blows my mind everytime I think about it.

It's nice to know there are truely good people still out there. ;)

Rick
That was a great story. My parents and grandparents were very "old fashioned" and that was the way I was brought up. I was taught to care about other people, sometimes even more than yourself. Little things really do make a difference, and sometimes they are the most remembered. My father told me a long time ago, "to treat people like you want to be treated", and "that a good deed will never go unrewarded". And he was right. I offered to help this couple out because I could put myself in their shoes. I'm a unwealthy guy just trying to survive out here like most people. I couldn't offer this couple money, but I could offer them something I DO have, and that was time. (and a garage of course) It really floored me that they gave me the car. They know that they could sell it or part it out and make a few thousand, but I think it would give them more joy to see it back on the road, and somewhere they can come visit it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
being nice cost nothing, and the rewards are tenfold. Nice stories here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts