Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tell us about your Longest or Coolest Road Trip in a Corvette!

Allow me to start: :D

In 1994 I flew to San Diego to visit friends. During my visit, we came across an awesome 1989 black convertible 4+3 that was for sale. My buddy purchased the roadster, and I ended up driving it back to Chicago (solo).

I drove from sunny San Diego, through Vegas (man, did I feel cool in that Vette on the Vegas Strip). Then I headed through the Rockies and east to Chicagoland. I only met one friendly officer in Utah who stopped me for blasting past him. (no fair! he was in a Mustang Police car). The best part of the trip was hauling AZZ through the Rockies and everyone moving out of my way. Of the 2150 miles, the Top was down 99% of the time!

I completed this trip in less then 48 hours (if I remember correctly- I can drive forever without stopping). This trip is also when I decided I needed to purchase my OWN Corvette!!!!:thumbsup:

--------------------------------------------------------
My best trip in my Current Vette (Red ZR-1):

The Wife and I attended the “Cruise in” in Bowling Green KY, at the Corvette museum over Memorial Day Weekend - 2002 (with a wild group from Chicagoland).

After the festivities winded down, we continued our trip East toward Marietta, OH and drove on some of the nicest 2 lane roads in the USA. These were nice smooth scenic curvy roads, with NO traffic and less law enforcement. Some of these Ohio roads are listed on Car and Drivers “Top 10 list”. We followed the Ohio River (north) up into WV and Western PA (just outside of Pittsburg). From PA, we worked our way back through OH, MI, IN and into Illinois with out driving on 1 expressway (ALL back-roads and two laners!!!!)

We hit 7 states in 3 days, but we stopped and saw some of the coolest places and ate at some “unique” restaurants along the way. The GPS system and the Valentine-one came in very handy on that trip. We also had a few friendly “Corvette Encounters” on the way!

So what was your best ROAD TRIP in a CORVETTE????:partyon:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm living in the Netherlands so no long rides like LA to Vegas....:( , but my best long ride was from Haarlem ( near Amsterdam ) to Monaco.

Starting early in the morning on my way. Belgium, Luxembourg and France all highway and no Vette inside. Lot's of people passing me and slowing down to look at the Vette. Feels nice driving like that. Just telling my wife that all those people who look at us had a story to tell there friends that they had seen a Corvette. Not even one minut after i'd said that, i saw some sportcar in my rearview mirror.... wow, a Viper. He passed me, waved and smiled. Now we got something to tell to our friends, haha.

When we arrived in Monaco, the first round trip through town was the roadcircuit of the Formula one cars. Not that there was a race, but i knew how the circuit was layout. It was great driving in the tunnel and hard to believe those F1's go over 200 miles there.

Parked my car in the harbour were all the rich and famous have there boats and yes a Corvette was in the parking lot. A 1993 ZR-1 with tons of dust and a million key marks on it. He/she did not care for that car or the 100 parking tickets in it. Sad to see a Corvette like that.

After a walk in Monaco we went for another round and parked my car in front of the Ferrari garage. Stepped out with my camera and took a few pics of Ferrari's. All the people in front of the garage now turned and looked at the Vette. ( I know why :laughing: )

Back to the hotel, had a few beers and left the next day back to the Netherlands.
Had a great time. Next stop will be this June with the Corvette Clubs from Holland,Belgium, France, England to see the 24 hour at LeMans and support the C5R.:D

Sorry for the long story and my english..... did my best.

Mike

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Best road trip in a Vette, I'd have to say the summer after my dad bought his vette. we took a family vacation from columbus ohio to linchburg tn the home of Jack Daniels. We stopped in Louisville KY, and the birthplace of the corvette, unfrotunataly the factory was in change over for the C5 so we took a tour of the NCM :)

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Longest? 3000 miles for Stars and Stripes. That is also my favorite.

Best road attack, 900 miles put on for the CanAm caravan (with ZR_Don)!

Most wacky ride was 1800 miles round trip last Thanksgiving with a stray cat we rescued in South Carolina, riding along on top of all the luggage.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Power Tour 99 was a great trip. The tour ended in Nashville that year. We took another week and headed south on the Natchez Trace. That road is one of the best Corvette roads I've been on. We toured the back roads of Louisiana, Kentucky and Tennessee, stopping to look into many anti-bellum homes. We even slept in an old plantation house bed & breakfast in Louisiana.

S & S was the most fulfilling ride ever. Besides seeing the country, it was the people that made it so worthwhile.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Re: Re: Your best Road Trip in a Vette?

Damn that is a rare car!!! 89s all had 6spds :D
I guess.....even MORE rare than a
white 89 Grand Sport!!!!!:laughing: :partyon:

Hmmm..... Maybe it was an 88. Was the 88 a Pace car?
-=Jeff=-????????:cool:

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Your best Road Trip in a Vette?

ZR_Don said:
I guess.....even MORE rare than a
white 89 Grand Sport!!!!!:laughing: :partyon:

Hmmm..... Maybe it was an 88. Was the 88 a Pace car?
-=Jeff=-????????:cool:
No way.. my 89 GS is Very rare :D and as fast as one..

88 was the 35th Anniversary car, Coupe only.
86 was the pace car but in a vert only

·
Registered
26 Posts
82dukman said:
Three words:
Stars and Stripes Tour :D
That's FOUR words but you're absolutely right!
The very BESTEST experience so far in a Vette except when Dennis and I were dating in my '84 but we won't go into that!:surprised

We'll tallk about that one over a :cheers:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just came back from our best road trip so far. Drove from St. Louis MO. to Albequerque, NM. Left last Monday evening and arrived back home Thursday evening. Trip was 2150 miles, and the weather was beautiful. In the 70's and dry the whole way. We had a 4 day window of good weather going west, and decided to get away from all the cold and snow in St. Louis. We made that decision 2 hours before we left, and loved every mile of it. Drove on some of the historic Route 66. It was our first long distance trip, and the C5 was fun to drive and comfortable. Just cant bring back a lot of souvenir's. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
The best trip was the first time I drove my GS without the previous owner in the passenger seat. But it was quite the trip. I bought the GS by way of emails and phone calls. My wife and I flew out to Kansas City checked it out, made the deal, got in and drove home to south Florida, 1400 miles. Great trip, not one problem and man did we make good time. I just did not want to stop driving that car. Loved every mile...................:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have to echo Rudys' comment on the Stars & Stripes Tour. Met a lot of friendly people, which made the trip truely memorable.

P.S. to Rudy. Got your package. Thank you very much.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Rich's75 said:
I have to echo Rudys' comment on the Stars & Stripes Tour. Met a lot of friendly people, which made the trip truely memorable.

P.S. to Rudy. Got your package. Thank you very much.
S&S 2003 is going to be a whole new experience. Nice and relaxing.....

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
FLYING COLORS said:
That's FOUR words but you're absolutely right!
The very BESTEST experience so far in a Vette except when Dennis and I were dating in my '84 but we won't go into that!:surprised

We'll tallk about that one over a :cheers:
Well I originally put ab "&" instead of the word "and". That's where I got the 3 words from. And yes, we need to over a :cheers:

·
Registered
285 Posts
My best trip was my first road trip. drove out of WI, down to DC, up the coast to upstate NY and back to WI.

About 2500 miles and a great time doing it.

·
Liftin' the fronts
2,261 Posts
In 2000 I took a trip from Picton Ontario Canada down the east coast to Daytona Beach then east to Orlando and north into Georgia and Alabama and on up to the NCM in Bowling green. Then it was off to the north via Detroit and east to our home. Now that was a fair drive in a 57. I drove from Florida all the way home with the top down so I guess you could say "I saw the U.S.A. in my Chevrolet" Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts