Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"In 1965, at the close of the season, Zora called again, asking what Guldstrand was driving for 1966. Dick said another Corvette. "No, no," replied Duntov, "I want you to meet Roger Penske." Guldstrand was hired as Penske's first driver to pilot a car at the Daytona 24-hour race. On the track in Florida, the L-88 427-cubic-inch Vette showed its stuff. "We put it up on the banking, and that mutha hauled ass. We're running 190 mph in the banking in this stupid Corvette with these little skinny tires..."

During the race, co-driver George Wintersteen hit a Morgan Plus 4 on the banking, ripping off the lower front fiberglass fascia. The solution? Flashlights were taped to the fenders, and Penske told Guldstrand to get behind the wheel. "But I'm going to die, Mr. Penske." "That's all right, Guldstrand, get out there!" Goldie couldn't see the track, but he latched onto a pair of taillights and hung on. "I noticed I was turning 200-300 rpm faster than I'd ever turned; it was a prototype Ferrari that I was chasing. I set an all-time record for GT cars at three in the morning." The Vette won the GT class, finishing ninth overall."

Read the whole thing here, it's awesome. --> Motor Trend story

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
here's a good one, too

...the errant connecting rod cut the engine in half. "I opened the hood and saw the ground through the engine. I thought, 'this is going to be tough to fix.'"

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Dick told that story last September at Mid America's "Funfest". He gave a talk open to anyone. Then stayed around and bs'd after the formal talk. One hell of a guy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not a DG quote, but something heard...

"We had some electrical problem during the night"

"Yeah I heard a connecting rod damaged the battery"

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dick told these stories at Infineon this past weekend. I've heard these same stories many times, but whenever Dick tells them, it is like hearing them for the very first time.

If you ever have the opportunity to hear Dick speak, please go out of your way to attend. There is no better speaker and no greater fan of the Corvette.

Janet Curran

·
They call me, Hugh Huffner
584 Posts
If you guys want to have some real fun, come out here and visit his shop, it is about 15 minutes from where I live....It is a total Corvette Chubby...I mean Mecca!

Great place to have work done....very fair and honest!

If you are REALLY lucky, 'ol Mr. Guldstrand might be there and take you for a blast in the 427 ci C5 monster he has for sale (see it on the website

http://www.corvettethunder.com/

goto "Dick's Corvette"

Guldstrand has a website of his own....

www.guldstrand.com

GREAT PLACE!

Steve

·
DC Crew
5,554 Posts
Met Dick at Bloomington Gold... REALLY great guy :thumbsup: Hopefully next year he can sign my dash:D ...Only in Corvette history will you meet a bunch of diehard funny racers:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts