Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home the other day when I saw a Ford Raptor ahead of me. I have not seen very many of them on the road so I caught up to look it over. We were the only ones on the road so he started driving aggressively and I played along. The road was a concrete freeway that has very little traffic and lots of curves. My 2003 Z/71 Tahoe 4X4 is mostly stock with the exception of some programming changes. When I did those changes several years ago it woke up the 5.3 in a surprising way.

Back to the Raptor; We came to a stop light and sat side by side. I gave him a thumbs up and he returned the gesture. The light turned green and I jumped him off the line. He could not make up for the early gain, in fact I was slowly walking away from him. About a mile later we were at another stop light with open road after the light. I knew he was going to show me who was boss so I was watching the light really close. I did not realize that a Porsche was on the other side of me on the three lane road. When the light turned green I punched it and jumped the Raptor off the line again, in the meantime, the Porsche showed us both who really was the Boss. The Porsche was gone in a heartbeat. The Raptor and I were going pretty much head to head until the road started a slow bend to the left, that is when he let off. I was ahead of him by about half a car length.

I was always under the impression that the Raptors were really high performance and I was surprised that he had a tough time hanging with me. Maybe the guy did not know how to drive it to the max. I would love to go against another Raptor with someone at the wheel who knows how to get the most out of his truck to see what it will really do. Maybe my old Tahoe was really faster. I had it in two wheel drive and maybe he had his in four wheel drive.

The rest of the drive home I had a smile on my face since it had been a really long time since I had gone up against some one light to light. I never thought I would do that in my 4X4 Tahoe however.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Those Raptors are pretty cool looking. My understanding is that they really shine off-road. But if you never GO off-road, what's the point? Nice to hear Chevy is still king. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those Raptors are pretty cool looking. My understanding is that they really shine off-road. But if you never GO off-road, what's the point? Nice to hear Chevy is still king. ;)
They are pretty cool looking. This one was light blue with black accents. I liked the wide stance they have.

It could have been a gearing thing is to why I beat him. But that does not explain how I was able to jump him off the line two times. I figured after the first time he would have been ready.

·
Registered
41 Posts
very cool trucks, my buddy has one. Have taken it tearing around in the sand and it performs great, but they are no lightning. that 6.2 only propels that monster through the 1/4 in like 15.8

My 6.2 2015 Z71 crew cab will scorch the 1/4 in 14.2 which is pretty insane for a truck that was not built for that purpose!

end of the day, the Raptors are much slower on the street than most people expect!

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very cool trucks, my buddy has one. Have taken it tearing around in the sand and it performs great, but they are no lightning. that 6.2 only propels that monster through the 1/4 in like 15.8

My 6.2 2015 Z71 crew cab will scorch the 1/4 in 14.2 which is pretty insane for a truck that was not built for that purpose!

end of the day, the Raptors are much slower on the street than most people expect!
Ok, that makes sense. I was really surprised because I thought they could tear up the streets. I know a Lightning would probably outrun my Tahoe with little effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts