Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a job like this should only be performed by an expert. And that is exactly what we are: http://www.corvette-performance-expert.com/

We actually have a couple blown z06 threads here on Digital Corvettes:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242081
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269185

Then we have a blown z06 powertrain going into something more here:
https://www.superchargerforums.com/threads/magnuson-heartbeat-on-a-7-0l.3130/

So it should be understood that what comes next is a walk in the park for us. However, with that said, This particular Z06 looks outstanding..

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,364 Posts
Looking forward to a blow by blow

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I don't know about you guys, but I can not wait to rip into this car. I parked it on the dyno tonight just to see how she is gonna look on the roller..

And look what came in today..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to start on this job today..

Looks good, right? Even clean almost, maybe. Well let me show you this..

The intercooler is too big and blocks the entire air path into the engine bay. What was the point of the fan in front of the condenser? Was the installer hoping it was going to warp in fresh air from another dimension? And the same can be said for the engine air filter on the other side. Where is the fresh air coming from?

They even blocked the lower air inlet in the nose of the car just to make sure the only air that enters the engine bay is what blows through that thick intercooler..

The real genius in this build is that someone actually thought they could run and cool a +600hp boosted powertrain through this one small opening..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then there are these..

Can everybody see the adapters at the base of the fuel injectors? The spray pattern of an injector is very important to an engine's efficiency and so is it's placement. When we put spacers at the base of the injector we pull the pintle out of the airstream completely and the air and fuel won't mix as well. These adapters were used to make the wrong application fuel injectors work in the wrong application intake manifold. And the crazy part? those same adapters could have been installed at the top of the injectors and they would have at least functioned correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boost a pump is a device that is meant to over volt your fuel pump whenever the engine is under boost. They are commonplace in boosted applications. But this is an old one with a knob so you can freely at will change your voltage to your fuel pump when the car is under boost and without the ecu knowing about it. This is a great way to destroy your investment. The ecu needs to know about changes that will affect engine performance. Otherwise what is the purpose of tuning in the first place?

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And here we can see the full scope of the butchery that this poor z06 was subjected to..

This is a track car. It is not meant for a quick 1/8 or 1/4 mile pull and then that's it. No the z06 corvette was meant to go around the twisties. Road courses. The corvette is a whole complete package. It is so much more than just an engine. Where you now see the boost hose leading from the blower to the intercooler there used to be a big duct that ran from under the nose of the car to behind the front wheel. A brake cooling duct. I would never chase power at the expense of stopping force.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enough of the bad. The teardown is complete and we are now working on the good. Magnuson has done a really good job with their heartbeat blower. It fits under the stock hood of a c6 corvette. From the backside of the blower we can see how they achieved that..

And from the top we can see how magnuson shares in my belief that boosted engines don't like breathing through straws..

This is the shortest path possible from the eaton tvs screws to the intake valves. Big open short path..

And I ask you all, does this not even look better? I mean now the wing looks right..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the boost a pump that comes with the magnuson doesn't have a knob. just a vacuum hose so it knows when it needs to run up the voltage. and past that it is fixed and you can setup a tune to it. And instead of the way the old boost a pump was mounted this one comes with a nice bracket that mounts it to the dry sump tank..

And here it is all back together and ready for the dyno..

Underneath we can see the big boost hose is gone and the brake cooling ducts have been replaced..

Instead of the big tube for boosted air the magnuson only has these 2 coolant hoses that need to be routed to the front of the car..

And up front there is a nice big empty area and a clear path for air to follow through the grill, heat exchanger , condenser, and radiator..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh man. So the Owner of this incredible machine got in his car, felt it's power, and said he wants more. But Before we can get too deep into cranking up the power adder we need to get a few things in place first so we can do this safely. We are going to setup boost, wideband, and fuel pressure gauges in the car so we can tie their sensor outputs to our tuning software and see what these things are doing at wide open throttle..

This car has electronic exhaust cutouts for when this man needs every little bit of power he can muster..

While cool it makes it hard for me to get a good afr reading from a probe. This issue is to be addressed by permanently mounting a wideband o2 sensor in the car. This way when we are logging data we are looking at a sensor screwed into the exhaust with no leaks upstream and no leaks 12" downstream. To make this happen we need to lower the front of the mid section of the exhaust..

Because there are 2 banks and we only install 1 sensor, wherever possible it is a good idea to install the wideband sensor at the merge point. If not then the safe bet is to find out which bank is running leaner and tune to that. The specific X used on this exhaust has a flange on the side that I had to grind down and weld before I could make the hole for the bung..

After a little bit of sweat, argon, and paint here is our prepped exhaust..

And from underneath with the sensor installed we can clearly see that this wideband is going to be reading blended exhaust from both banks..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something else that really needs to happen is we need to upgrade to some 8 rib pulleys. We don't want that blower slipping under load as we go playing with pulley sizes..

And speaking of pulley sizes, that harmonic balancer in the pulley kit from Innovators West is a 10% overdrive pulley. Aside from the balancer there is a power steering pulley, an alternator pulley, a smooth idler pulley, a tensioner pulley, And the new 8 rib blower pulley from magnuson. The ls7 is not keyed so we must drill and pin the crank so the balancer doesn't spin under the load of the blower..

We don't know if the motor is gonna handle all this power, but at least we know the blower belt will.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But it's not enough. We need more. We already have an over sized crank pulley and the smallest 8 rib pulley that magnuson makes for their heartbeat blower. And there is another problem with going with a smaller pulley on the blower even if we could find a smaller pulley..

I know it looks like it is but it's not actually touching. with a flashlight I can see light between the 2 and the belt is quiet and doesn't smoke. Any smaller on the blower pulley and we are going to have to do something with that water outlet.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We found this company that makes the pulley we need. They had us measure the snout of the blower and assured us it would fit..

And I don't believe for a second you could fit 5 sheets of paper in there..

But it fits it spins free and it is most definitely the smallest pulley that will fit on this blower. New dyno sheet is on the way

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
all back together and the water outlet has moved to the other side of the water pump pulley..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it has been a while and a lot has happened since the car left to include an engine swap. But it is not making power. So it has come back to us so we can get it back to the awesome it used to be. This Z06 is just an incredible looking car..

The engine bay has picked up some new colors ..

This build was just put on pause a while back. And now it is about to resume. :partyon:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts