Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I started tearing down the Z for my cam last night. I only got 1.5 hrs to work on it though. I finally finished up my dad's exhaust (which sounds sweet) and walked the dogs. Got the garage finally ready and then I was off. I started with the hood. It seems simple but it's not. After that it was on to the CAI and TB. Those were pretty easy. 2 hose clamps and 3 screws later, off. There wasn't any, "I want to stay on the car" crap. Nope, off they came.

Then I got the belt off a few pulleys and started on the alternator. I removed the two bolts holding it in and then used a screw driver and hammer for removal.

Then it was off to the coil mounts

valve covers and AIR tubes from the Exhaust Manifolds.

Those were all pretty easy when I realized where ALL the coil mount screws were. It looks really cool under there.

Tonight, after I get my dad's truck's thermostat removed and the outlet sealed I am going to lift the car, drain fluids, and start on radiator and steering components. I will also try and get some pics up from last night and take some for tonights work. I'll keep posting in this thread to update it.

I have a tip as well. To keep from losing the screws/bolts/fasteners/nuts/washers/etc. I go ahead and screw them back into the place they came out of. That way 1) I don't lose them & 2) I know where they go.

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Great to hear that someone is documenting a cam swap. I would like to do this myself as well. Do you have to remove the active handling unit? Now all I need is someone to do a ring and pinion swap out of the rear end so I can see how thats done.I would love to put 3:73 gears in.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great to hear that someone is documenting a cam swap. I would like to do this myself as well. Do you have to remove the active handling unit? Now all I need is someone to do a ring and pinion swap out of the rear end so I can see how thats done.I would love to put 3:73 gears in.
:cheers: , I'll wait with ya. That is not something I'll try blindly, lol. I would like a 4.11 in there though. I have to remove the steering rack, but I think the active handling unit can stay. The only reason the rack has to go is because it is right in front of the Crank Pulley.

This job has gone so smoothly compared to work I do on the old vette. Lack of rust makes things go quicker. I haven't had to break out the pneumatics yet. Soon very soon.

Josh

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
I have a tip as well. To keep from losing the screws/bolts/fasteners/nuts/washers/etc. I go ahead and screw them back into the place they came out of. That way 1) I don't lose them & 2) I know where they go.

Thanks,

Josh
I always do that.:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the pics and hear the outcome.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad I'm not the only one. Seemed kind of Anal, but I think it is for the best. I lose wrenches that are in my hand, if ya know what I mean? I need to go buy another 10mm ratchet wrench, b/c somebody moved it from the pool table. Probably was me and I have no clue, but until that is proven, somebody else is to blame, lol.

Josh

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update!!!

Last night was fun - August 1st.

Got the truck home and realized that I couldn't/wouldn't fix it, so I have set up the repair for that tomorrow. Only problem is my little sis gets to drive my dad and I to work for the next day or two. No big deal, though. I went ahead and started on the car.

First thing I did was get it up on the jack and jack-stands with the board. Then I put the other jack under the rear for when I need it later.

I started to drain the coolant and that was a nice puzzle to figure out :thud: . Turns out the valve was easier to get out than imagined. I let it trickle until my sister's boyfriend and I figured that I needed to take the cap off of the reservoir. Then it poured, :laughing: .

Once it drained for a little bit I started in on the water pump. I got all six bolts off and then started on the hoses. The big hose on the DS was easy and dry. One of the two going into the Thermostat were full. I guess I should have lowered the car to get the rest of the water/coolant out, huh :smack . Anyway, I got the hoses off and then it was onto pulling the water pump out.
You can see the water pump gone in this picture.

Now it was the Radiator/Fan assemblies turn. I had to unplug those and undo all the wiring clips to get the harness off the fan. There are a few ya can't see, but are all pretty easy to do. The next step took some strength. The condenser is only held onto the radiator with tabs and slots. Those were surprisingly easy to get off, but they were real easy to slip back in as well. After wrestling with that and the hose catching on the wiring harness the assembly came out.

I got the PS Cooler unbolted, but wasn't going to fool with the lines yet. I need to go pick up an 18mm wrench for that. So I went on to the exhaust removal. I took all the bolts off of the DS Exhaust Manifold and then went underneath for the three collector nuts. I got the visible two real easy. The third was rotated to where it was difficult to get a wrench on. If you have deep sockets you will have no problem. I have deep Imperial sockets, but not Metric. Anyway, I got that unbolted and the O2 sensor unplugged. I pulled the Exhaust Manifold out the top. This can be tricky if the AIR tubes are in the way. I haven't removed my system yet and they were grabbing the EM and keeping it in the bay.

I then started on the PS EM. I got all the header bolts out and started underneath on the collector bolts. They all were pretty accessible this time. But one of them tightened up and sheared off midway down the bolt. Since I didn't need them, it didn't matter. Saved me a lot of work.

With both of those removed I was on to the H-pipe. What a restrictive little thing. There are only 4 bolts holding this pipe up to the car and 4 more holding it to the cat-back system. The 4 bolts holding it to the car were real easy to get out. the other 4 were easy, but put me in an awkward position to get to them. After getting those out with a regular wrench (too lazy to get out from under and get a socket set) it dropped out.

The last thing I did was get the stock tunnel plate out. I have one coming in next Tuesday. This was hard b/c I didn't have any 8mm wrenches or 3/8" drive sockets. I had the small ones, but no adapter. I started with an adjustable wrench and my buddy started with a box wrench that was 8mm on one side and 9mm on the other. He ended up breaking it :thud: . It was cool, b/c I never used the wrench anyway. After struggling with the 30+ bolts I found that one of those screw drivers that house bits was the perfect size. After that it was a piece of cake.

SO,
July 31st:
Removed Hood, CAI, TB, Coil Packs, Valve Covers.
August 1st:
Raised car
Removed Water Pump, Thermostat, Radiator/Fan, Exhaust Manifolds, H-pipe, Tunnel Plate.

That's it so far. I plan on getting the entire steering set-up out tonight and start in on the timing cover, crank pulley, oil pump, chain set and cam. We'll see how far I get. Friday, I should definitely be this far. Not sure how much I'll get done Saturday. I may be getting my C3 tattoo done and probably wont work all day. But Sunday I think I will start on install. I also have to get to the little things I'm going to do inside the car and to the hood. That may be what I do Saturday. That way I can take that stuff into the A/C.

I put the pictures into the original post as well.

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
When you get ready to pull the Cam, spin it first to get the lifters to their highest point for installation of the new Cam. You Cannot access the lifters unless you remove the Heads. The new design of the Gen III motor covers them in the Valley.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad I'm not getting in there. Those heads are stying on for now. I am going to use the dowel rod trick going through the front of the engine to keep them all up. Hopefully it works like they say it does.

That will be tomorrow night, though.

Josh

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can you post a picture of the actual body?
What exactly do you mean? Like an overall picture, so you can relate to where everything is? If so, then yeah. I can do that when I get home. I'll post my pics for that and update this thread with more pics from tonights work.

Josh

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here ya go. These are the best I could get due to the lack of space.

I didn't get any work done except lower it back down to the floor so I can work on it. I had to pick up a tool box. I went with a couple Kobalt ones. Feel and look real nice. Then I fixed my dad's truck (hopefully). A Blitzkreig should be happening on the car tonight. My little nephews (11, 6) keep telling their mom that they have to get up here to help me put the car back together, so hopefully they will be coming up. The little one keeps saying, "He's getting parts that are better than the new ZO6." I may have told him that I could beat some stock C6 Zs after all is said and done.

More pics tomorrow.

Josh

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
looks as though you have you work cut out for you good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
August 3rd

UPDATE TIME

I didn't get too much done last night, but it was progress none the less.

I was able to get the steering linkage and rack out. That was the easiest part so far. Everything just dropped out, literally. The rack was hard to get out at first b/c I took it to the passenger side and got stuck, but your suppose to get it to that point and then pull it out the engine bay. Was easy after I figured that out. I also got the crank bolt out after I realized that the plugs had to be out to do it. Makes it a lot easier. I got stuck on the pulley removal, b/c I can't figure out how to use the puller. I think I have it, but as soon as i may have figured it out the power went out. Turns out the kid in the neighborhood hit a power pole last night with his big tahoe. Everybody was OK, but his truck is totalled. Sucks b/c he's put some real money into it. Glad it wasn't his Corvette. Here are the pics from last nights work. I will try and get the cam out tonight, but I'm pretty sore. I'm inside working on my secret project.

And the TEASER:

thanks for reading guys,
Hopefully I will be able to update tonight or tomorrow.

JOSH

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
great write up so far

if you dont mind me asking what are the specs on the cam

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All i know is what was posted on the website. I don't recall getting a cam card for it. I may have gotten the card, but I may have lost it.

Sorry,

Josh

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
All i know is what was posted on the website. I don't recall getting a cam card for it. I may have gotten the card, but I may have lost it.

Sorry,

Josh
no problem i was just curios but ill be following this thread:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update!!

This is for the August 5th work done. I didn't do any of the cam swap work on Saturday. I spent all day working on my secret project. I also have to pick up more stuff to finish. So I set Sunday aside to get all the way to the camshaft and switch it out. I completed my mission with a lot of resistance on the way.

I had everything done up to the Crank Pulley. That took me most of the day to get off. But not giving up, a few beers, and getting mad at it it finally came out.

Now with that out of the way it was on to the Timing Chain Cover. That was pretty simple unbolt and play. The 10 bolts were pretty easy to get off except the one behind the AC Tensioner. After I removed that it was a breeze. I then went on to the Cam gear, timing chain, Cam retainer plate, and the oil pump. Those were all pretty easy, but I was pretty stupid and dropped 2 of the bolts into the oil pan. I guess I'm calling Chevy today for an oil pan gasket. I also removed the oil pump. These were all relatively easy parts to get off.

The last thing on my list was the cam swap yesterday. I first inserted my 2' pieces of dow rod on both sides of the cam. They slid in with a little resistance, but got in nonetheless. That was to insure the lifters wouldn't fall into the engine. After that was complete I threaded a cam bolt and water pump bolt in. Honestly, I only was able to use them just to get by the first bearing. After that I was grabbing the camshaft. I was spinning the camshaft, slowly, the whole time it was removed. I came out relatively easy and I heard not metail parts hit and didn't feel anything pulled or pushed out of place.

Getting in the new cam was just as simple. I oiled it up and started to slowly put it into the vacant hole in the front of the engine. I constantly was spinning it and it went in pretty smoothly. You will need a friend to hold the condensor just enough to slid the camshaft in and out. That was with the bolts taken out of it. If you leave those in then they will hit and you will get stuck.
After Everything was in I was done.

I also was able to switch out all the Valvesprings with the 921 Comps that were supplied. I got a tool from Tim over on LS1tech and it worked extremely well. The only thing was using the air hose adapter that went into the spark plug hole. I had a hard time threading it, but it was due to my incompetence:smack . They look really nice with the Titanium Retainers up top.

That's all I could get done all day yesterday.
Crank Pulley off
A/C Tensioner off
Timing Chain Cover off
Cam Gear off
Cam Retainer plate off
Oil Pump out
Timing Chain out
Camshaft swapped
Springs/Retainers/Seats/Seals/Pushrods swapped

Not too bad for a whole day. Tonight I plan on getting the oil pan gasket replaced and bolts retreived. New Timing set in. New Oil pump in and I'm going to take extra care to not F*up the O-ring. Then the timing chain cover with new front seal and gasket. The new UD Pulley and belts. A/C Tensioner reinstalled. I'll see how I feel then. I may go do some more work on the secret project or get the steering system back in. I'm not sure, but I will update tomorrow morning with the news and pictures.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Work Done

August 6th., I was unable to go any further last night. I stopped by Chevy and got my valve cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets not realizing that my whole engine cradle had to be dropped and my engine lifted. That axed that idea. I had to still get those 2 bolts out of the oil pan though. The first thing I tried was dropping the batwing section of the oil pan and seeing if they may have made their way in there. NOPE, no such luck. The next thing I tried was jacking the rear up and dropping the front of the engine, but the bolts weren't moving. Then I grabbed the longest magnetized tipped screw driver I had and went fishing. I caught one fish, but the test line wasn't strong enough, until Sam told me to put the little block of a magnet on the shaft. Picked up just enough hold for the bolt to come out the front. The second bolt wasn't anywhere to be touched. I reversed the position of the car back down and front up now. I was getting a little pissed, so I got under the car and started feeling around in the oil pan, through the batwing, again. When I just about lost hope my hand stumbled on the bolt. I was able to get it out and keep it out. So now both bolts are out and tomorrow I can finish getting the crank gear off and start assembly.

I was, however, able to get a few things done on my secret project.

Josh

·
Registered
956 Posts
Last night was fun - August 1st.

The last thing I did was get the stock tunnel plate out. I have one coming in next Tuesday. This was hard b/c I didn't have any 8mm wrenches or 3/8" drive sockets. I had the small ones, but no adapter. I started with an adjustable wrench and my buddy started with a box wrench that was 8mm on one side and 9mm on the other. He ended up breaking it :thud: . It was cool, b/c I never used the wrench anyway. After struggling with the 30+ bolts I found that one of those screw drivers that house bits was the perfect size. After that it was a piece of cake.
Man, I can't believe you took those bolts out by hand with the wrong tools! It was a bear when I did it with an air driven socket wrench.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts